Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Part 4: Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I have to disagree with you on this one, and I've been one of the biggest complainers about how I feel the esks have ruined their image in the last few years.

despite how big the event is, not everyone is into the world cup or into soccer. should the whole city come to a stop because of the event? I don't think so.

and what are the esks supposed to do about training camp? they had to leave their home field for the world cup. it's not like to could move training camp to the city for one day to make it convenient for transit takers. it is what it is.

you're complaining for the sake of complaining this time.

again, as cool as the world cup is, there are many people like me who don't consider an event as the same time as a cup game a big deal at all. a million people in this city and not all of them want to watch the world cup.

I kinda agree with both of you. But at the end of the day it wasn't just a random day in the tournament it was the hope opener for the Canadian team and I feel it would have been respectful to support them considering the Eskimos are community owned. If it was game 2 or 3 in the tournament whatever.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Man its getting harder and harder to gather up interest in this season. Probably due to my excitement for Womens WC but Eskimos this year, I'm not feeling it somehow. Surprised actually.

Also thought it was poor form, astoundingly bad actually, to have fan day scrimmage at the same time as Team Canada was playing the opening match of the WC attended by 53K people. Really Esks make it any other day. Another in a long list of recent black marks by the org. A gesture that makes me wonder what planet this club is on.

Not to mention TC being all the way in Spruce Grove anywhere where no realistic public transit is available for families that even wanted to go. Sorry, but really. Starting to loose a fan here.

really? Women's World Cup has you that excited? that Canada-China game was a borefest that Canada got lucky to win...they play NZ next which is no screaming hell either

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I kinda agree with both of you. But at the end of the day it wasn't just a random day in the tournament it was the hope opener for the Canadian team and I feel it would have been respectful to support them considering the Eskimos are community owned. If it was game 2 or 3 in the tournament whatever.

I just don't think there would have been that many people who it would have affected. how many hardcore CFL fans are there who would want to go to the practice are also hardcore women's soccer fans who had to be home to watch the game on TV?

I guess I don't see the disrespect. were they advertising that people should screw the lousy game of soccer and should come to the practice instead?

The day fell where it did, and it at least gave people who like sports and dislike soccer an alternative choice of activity.

There is a million people in the city. we all shouldn't have to stop everything to support the women's world cup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have to disagree with you on this one, and I've been one of the biggest complainers about how I feel the esks have ruined their image in the last few years.

despite how big the event is, not everyone is into the world cup or into soccer. should the whole city come to a stop because of the event? I don't think so.

and what are the esks supposed to do about training camp? they had to leave their home field for the world cup. it's not like to could move training camp to the city for one day to make it convenient for transit takers. it is what it is.

you're complaining for the sake of complaining this time.

again, as cool as the world cup is, there are many people like me who don't consider an event as the same time as a cup game a big deal at all. a million people in this city and not all of them want to watch the world cup.

They could schedule the fanday any day. They could have it anywhere. Commonwealth or Clarke are not the only facilities in town. Why schedule it in Spruce Grove of all places that doesn't even allow kids that want to to check it out as not public transit is available. It doesn't allow low income families with no vehicle transportation to check it out. Its just we're doing this in Spruce Grove on a whim, hmmm lets pick this day on the calendar, and not even notice that 53K Edmontonians will be at the game at that exact time and many more would be watching on Telly. Maybe the Esks don't realize how huge the affection is for the Womens team in this city. But perhaps they should. it was like an extra Canada Day at Commonwealth. A more memorable and fantastic day than the Eskimos have provided fans in a decade. One that I'm happy I didn't miss. At this point I sure am considering missing a lot of Eskimo games and virtually nothing about the club which excites me going into the season. We have like one offensive weapon for Reilly, Bowman, what a popgun offence. Don't even feel like watching it to be honest.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
really? Women's World Cup has you that excited? that Canada-China game was a borefest that Canada got lucky to win...they play NZ next which is no screaming hell either

People that were here in 2002 or last year know what an affinity there is here for the Womens team. the 2002 tourney was like a coming out party for Sinclair, Lang, Mcleod etal and a virtual love affair between fans and players through that tournament. Consider it as a type of Miracle on Manchester. (You might have to look that one up if younger) People that attended that tournament saw something very special in sports you may only see once in a lifetime. Its hard to describe. it.

I'll try. Christine Sinclair is a hero for Canada, and I don't even believe in Heroes. But anybody that watched the Olympic tournament knows that she is one. The fire that burns in her heart and the nonstop passion she has for the game is impossible not to notice. She is a female Soccer Mark Messier. People see that or not. She's the greatest womens player in the game. Possibly the greatest womens player ever. Even the US goalie and players around the world call Christine Sinclair the greatest womens player on Earth. She plays for Team Canada. We'll never see another like her. So I'll watch every game while I can.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
They could schedule the fanday any day. They could have it anywhere. Commonwealth or Clarke are not the only facilities in town. Why schedule it in Spruce Grove of all places that doesn't even allow kids that want to to check it out as not public transit is available. It doesn't allow low income families with no vehicle transportation to check it out. Its just we're doing this in Spruce Grove on a whim, hmmm lets pick this day on the calendar, and not even notice that 53K Edmontonians will be at the game at that exact time and many more would be watching on Telly. Maybe the Esks don't realize how huge the affection is for the Womens team in this city. But perhaps they should. it was like an extra Canada Day at Commonwealth. A more memorable and fantastic day than the Eskimos have provided fans in a decade. One that I'm happy I didn't miss. At this point I sure am considering missing a lot of Eskimo games and virtually nothing about the club which excites me going into the season. We have like one offensive weapon for Reilly, Bowman, what a popgun offence. Don't even feel like watching it to be honest.

so I guess we won't see you much in this thread for the next few months, since there is no interest for you in regards to both the team and the CFL.

If only the esks ran things like FIFA. then we'd see integrity.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
:naughty:

Second best team in the league.

Unfortunately...

Which is a huge step up from the shi* hole team and org it was a few years ago.

Both the Esks and the Oilers seem to have finally gotten it re who to bring in to run a team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
so I guess we won't see you much in this thread for the next few months, since there is no interest for you in regards to both the team and the CFL.

If only the esks ran things like FIFA. then we'd see integrity.

Sorry if I've offended in anyway. I'm just having reactions, been dealing with major issues and I can't fathom what I spend my time with these days or what I will in a year. Too much unknown right now in life.

Sometimes life events really shake up a person and one questions what one does with their time which were reminded by events is limited. Including even posting here at all. I just don't know and lots I've been dealing with.

You can PM if you ever want. I just may not be participating as much on this board or attending games depending on other things I can't control anyway.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We can't lose Replacement in this thread.

Somebody has to argue with GreatKeith about whether or not the team is crap

heh, that was funny. But my positivity is kinda sapped right now even though I was positive about the Esks last year. Maybe I feel differently once the team establishes itself. Right now this is another unknown year but with injuries already being majorly significant. RB done, Reciever we obtained for Stamps done, Sewell done, etc.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Which is a huge step up from the shi* hole team and org it was a few years ago.

Both the Esks and the Oilers seem to have finally gotten it re who to bring in to run a team.

It is but unfortunately they're still under the giant thumb of Calgary until results show otherwise.

A collective oh fer against Calgary's teams in both sports this year.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Ironic you should bring up John Avery.
IIRC an achilles injury ended his career far too soon.

The Esks had better have a solid plan 'B'.

Yeah, I believe that was the case. Never looked like himself again. Kory Sheets is another that suffered an achilles tear last year trying to make the Raiders... some Esks fans want to bring him in but I'm leery about that proposition.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Anyone watching (or at) the Fort McMurray Pre-season game today? Gotta say, Nichols is gonna be out of a job soon with Franklin and Lynch looking really solid. Both only needed 2 plays and got a TD, Nichols got 10+ plays and did NOTHING.

Also loving Konar and our defence. Hitting heavy and giving no mercy to Saskatchewan. We are gonna be a beast on Defence again this year :D

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Anyone watching (or at) the Fort McMurray Pre-season game today? Gotta say, Nichols is gonna be out of a job soon with Franklin and Lynch looking really solid. Both only needed 2 plays and got a TD, Nichols got 10+ plays and did NOTHING.

Also loving Konar and our defence. Hitting heavy and giving no mercy to Saskatchewan. We are gonna be a beast on Defence again this year :D

More summersaults. :yo:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Lynch doesn't look like anything special to me personally, Pat White replacement. Franklin has looked really good though, might give Nichols a run for his money for the backup job.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Lynch doesn't look like anything special to me personally, Pat White replacement. Franklin has looked really good though, might give Nichols a run for his money for the backup job.

I can see Lynch maybe nothing too special, but my point is if Nichols get's the #2, I'm gonna flip. Come from behind victory! Eskimos Defence and Franklin wins this. Great game (despite the amount of Penalties GEEZ!)

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Was at the game tonight, left at half because I was freezing my ass off and there was wayyyyyy to many drunks sitting around me, it was already starting to get really rowdy, there were a handful of fights by the beer tents.

As a Riders fan my concern was Durants hand...He was shaking it out a lot. Ryan Smith also looked out on his feet from that hit in the first quarter, didn't see him on the sidelines again after.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I can see Lynch maybe nothing too special, but my point is if Nichols get's the #2, I'm gonna flip. Come from behind victory! Eskimos Defence and Franklin wins this. Great game (despite the amount of Penalties GEEZ!)

As good as Franklin looked, it was just one game. Nichols still has a way longer track record, so I've got no problem if he's kept around as the backup this year while they groom Franklin to take over for him the following season.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
As good as Franklin looked, it was just one game. Nichols still has a way longer track record, so I've got no problem if he's kept around as the backup this year while they groom Franklin to take over for him the following season.

Nichols looked to me like he was having trouble making quick decisions tonight. And the pocket wasn't even collapsing fast on him or anything

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

I was at the game. It wasn't that cold. I was in a jersey with bare arms and a gal in front of me was in shorts.

The D will be outstanding if they can avoid injuries.

I loved the new stadium. That was one reason I went, plus an oil sands tour. Those seats are tiny, however. Some people couldn't fit into them. They should have enlarged them by a few inches.

Good first effort by both teams. The game started boring but got really good.

The Esks brass were all out.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Nichols hasn't looked good in years. His track record isn't all that good. Guy is done, and if he's not passed on the depth charts something is wrong. We need a solid backup after Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->