Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Part 4: Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
when even Jones admits Reilly has an injury, it is serious.

Did he ever give an explanation as to why Reilly was still playing in the late stages of a blowout game?
his biggest blunder this year, and it could cost Edmonton a competitive chance to get to the cup.

I don't think the biggest Jones fan can justify that decision. idiocy, pure and simple.
Replacement is right about his stubborn obstinancy that blinds him from sometimes making the correct decision.

I'm really mad about the situation.

yeah jones BEYOND STUPID decision to leave him in the game could very well cost us the grey cup... thats quite the statement i know, but it might be true

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Give me Jones stupid over Kavis stupid.

Here, here. Reed brought a level of stupidity to the coaching position previously unmatched, although close to Machiocia. As much as Jones has made some guffaws this year, the way this team has responded, particularly the defence, makes it easier to accept.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The defense should be able to beat BC/Sask regardless of who's at QB, but we're hooped against the Stamps if Reilly is hurt. It was completely moronic to leave him in there in the 4th quarter, and it could cost us the Grey Cup. I will be absolutely gutted if we lose to Calgary and Reilly was either out or playing injured.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
This move's stupid. That coach is stupid. I'm so mad. Ray this. Reilly that. Blah. Blah. Blah.

You know what's stupid? Projecting the seemingly never-ending futility of our city's NHL hockey team onto our far-from-perfect but vastly improved CFL football team. The attendance at the BC beatdown last Saturday was embarrassing. Good on the Eskimos players for not getting disheartened by the 35000+ empty seats they came out to.

Here's an idea Eskimos 'fans', if you have tickets for just our 2nd home playoff game since '05 because you're a season ticket holder, show up! Better yet, buy more tickets to give (or sell) to your TV-fan friends. I bought 6 in the immediate vicinity of the 3 we already have and I'm happy to report that they were all spoken for less than 24 hours later. If you live in the area and have the money, dress warm and come support the team in a way the players & coaches can see and hear. The playoffs have become a rare thing in Edmonton pro sports but they're here. Embrace them!

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
This move's stupid. That coach is stupid. I'm so mad. Ray this. Reilly that. Blah. Blah. Blah.

You know what's stupid? Projecting the seemingly never-ending futility of our city's NHL hockey team onto our far-from-perfect but vastly improved CFL football team. The attendance at the BC beatdown last Saturday was embarrassing. Good on the Eskimos players for not getting disheartened by the 35000+ empty seats they came out to.

Here's an idea Eskimos 'fans', if you have tickets for just our 2nd home playoff game since '05 because you're a season ticket holder, show up! Better yet, buy more tickets to give (or sell) to your TV-fan friends. I bought 6 in the immediate vicinity of the 3 we already have and I'm happy to report that they were all spoken for less than 24 hours later. If you live in the area and have the money, dress warm and come support the team in a way the players & coaches can see and hear. The playoffs have become a rare thing in Edmonton pro sports but they're here. Embrace them!

blah, blah, blah?
so you're ok with the coaches decision that resulted in Reilly getting hurt?
it's ok that we might not have a healthy starting QB for the playoff game, as long as we show up in person to watch him hobble around the field?

I'm embracing the success the team has had, but I'm not going to ignore jones getting our QB hurt in a meaningless 30 point blowout this close to the playoffs. I'm not a tier two fan, either. season ticket holder for quite a few years, and have missed only two home games in the last 5 years, including preseason. I've been putting my money where my mouth is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So...is Reilly actually hurt? There seems to be conflicting information on this.

Indefensible move by Jones keeping him in the game. Not the first rookie mistake he has made either but if Reilly is hobbled in the Western Semi then its ALL on Jones.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The Eskimos led the league in attendence this year.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
So...is Reilly actually hurt? There seems to be conflicting information on this.

Indefensible move by Jones keeping him in the game. Not the first rookie mistake he has made either but if Reilly is hobbled in the Western Semi then its ALL on Jones.

I believe it was reported in the paper today that Reilly hasn't practiced this week.
I was watching CTV news two days ago where they were interviewing Jones, and he admitted to an injury.
He corrected the reporter and said it was "a lower body injury" and wouldn't admit if it was or wasn't the ankle.
If I remember correctly, Jones also said he "hoped, but believed" Reilly would be be ready to go for the playoffs.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Eskimos led the league in attendence this year.

Paid attendance. One of the issues of late has been many people not showing up. Which is just odd considering how well the club has played this year.

For instance a lot of tickets were sold for last game and it was hard for people to get quality seats. But show up and the Stadium is half empty.

In the Playoffs this needs to change. Esks could use the vocal support in a big playoff game. If I can get tickets I'll be there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I believe it was reported in the paper today that Reilly hasn't practiced this week.
I was watching CTV news two days ago where they were interviewing Jones, and he admitted to an injury.
He corrected the reporter and said it was "a lower body injury" and wouldn't admit if it was or wasn't the ankle.
If I remember correctly, Jones also said he "hoped, but believed" Reilly would be be ready to go for the playoffs.

Still can't believe how stupid that was to keep Reilly in the game.

Anyway, another thing I'm wondering about is why the club doesn't toss the car keys for this weekends tilt to White. He's the one that helps the Eskimos more than Nichols and who gets occasional reps during games and has been effective. I'd like White to get out there and a chance to shore up some relief pitcher plays. I like how the esks have inserted him from time to time.

I haven't liked any of Nichols play.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Still can't believe how stupid that was to keep Reilly in the game.

Anyway, another thing I'm wondering about is why the club doesn't toss the car keys for this weekends tilt to White. He's the one that helps the Eskimos more than Nichols and who gets occasional reps during games and has been effective. I'd like White to get out there and a chance to shore up some relief pitcher plays. I like how the esks have inserted him from time to time.

I haven't liked any of Nichols play.

Agreed. Not that White has shown himself to be stellar either, but he's more the future than Nichols is.

Nichols is Stefan Lefors v.2

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
blah, blah, blah?
so you're ok with the coaches decision that resulted in Reilly getting hurt?
it's ok that we might not have a healthy starting QB for the playoff game, as long as we show up in person to watch him hobble around the field?

I'm embracing the success the team has had, but I'm not going to ignore Jones getting our QB hurt in a meaningless 30 point blowout this close to the playoffs. I'm not a tier two fan, either. season ticket holder for quite a few years, and have missed only two home games in the last 5 years, including preseason. I've been putting my money where my mouth is.

Obviously the more serious Reilly's injury, the dumber it was for Jones to leave him in the BC game so long. Hopefully this turns out to be a rookie head coach's live-and-learn moment that doesn't cost his team or his QB1 too badly. I wasn't asking anyone to ignore the Jones/Reilly topic but I do think it's being beaten to death when there's other important Eskimo matters in front of us as well. To me, the continued so-so attendance (by Eskimos' standards) at Commonwealth is one of those.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Obviously the more serious Reilly's injury, the dumber it was for Jones to leave him in the BC game so long. Hopefully this turns out to be a rookie head coach's live-and-learn moment that doesn't cost his team or his QB1 too badly. I wasn't asking anyone to ignore the Jones/Reilly topic but I do think it's being beaten to death when there's other important Eskimo matters in front of us as well. To me, the continued so-so attendance (by Eskimos' standards) at Commonwealth is one of those.

It will take sustained success to bring back the fans Maciocia drove away.

Also consider that for the past few years, TV blackouts have been eliminated. Until recently, the only way to see most home games was to buy a ticket. Not anymore.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

So Jones felt it was fine to play the teams most important player in a meaningless situation just before the playoffs start knowing full well he is risking injury.

Mind boggling.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And now, defensive back Marcus Young twisted his ankle in practice yesterday. What the hell is Jones thinking? There should be no more practices until the Western semi.;)

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

to me that isn't even an issue, as the team had bled fans for years because of crappy management and crappy teams. we all know why the fans left.

look at the season ticket base from 2007 to now. fans got sick of paying for a really bad product. what was the home record of the team even last year? it was pathetic.
and there was maybe one game where the product on the field was worth the time and money of the fans.

It will take several years of success for those fans to come back.

So if the Esks best player is hurt for the playoffs because Jones kept him in the game late in a 30 point victory, that isn't a good way to manage your assets and bring back that success.

if the esks can have 2 or 3 12 win teams in a row and win a playoff game or two. fans will be back. just takes a while to wash off all the stink of the last 9 years or so.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
to me that isn't even an issue, as the team had bled fans for years because of crappy management and crappy teams. we all know why the fans left.

look at the season ticket base from 2007 to now. fans got sick of paying for a really bad product. what was the home record of the team even last year? it was pathetic.
and there was maybe one game where the product on the field was worth the time and money of the fans.

It will take several years of success for those fans to come back.

So if the Esks best player is hurt for the playoffs because Jones kept him in the game late in a 30 point victory, that isn't a good way to manage your assets and bring back that success.

if the esks can have 2 or 3 12 win teams in a row and win a playoff game or two. fans will be back. just takes a while to wash off all the stink of the last 9 years or so.

I'm a die-hard. It sounds like you are too. If I wasn't, I guess the previous bad seasons and a single potentially costly move by the current head coach would serve as additional excuses to stay home. Just because that's the way it is doesn't make it acceptable to me.

The team is peaking at the right time, they've become damn fun to watch at home and they've done all they could be realistically expected to do (in one season!) to earn back fan support. Is it really so unreasonable of me to want a bigger than usual crowd of Eskimos fans to come out of their warm family rooms to watch them?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm a die-hard. It sounds like you are too. If I wasn't, I guess the previous bad seasons and a single potentially costly move by the current head coach would serve as additional excuses to stay home. Just because that's the way it is doesn't make it acceptable to me.

The team is peaking at the right time, they've become damn fun to watch at home and they've done all they could be realistically expected to do (in one season!) to earn back fan support. Is it really so unreasonable of me to want a bigger than usual crowd of Eskimos fans to come out of their warm family rooms to watch them?

It's not unreasonable, just unrealistic. especially to the exclusion of other issues.
I don't think the crowd is a more important issue right now than discussing the coaching decisions of the staff, for example.

I'm not sure if Bowman is playing this weekend but if I were coach, he wouldn't be seeing the field.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Best way to answer this is each team, each lineup is a different team and the collection of heroic efforts that have been on display this year deserve the fan support.

These players have come on the field this year and bled Green and Gold from game to game and all year.

Theres no question this collection of players has deserved the fan support. This is one of the most enjoyable regular seasons I remember.

Players on the field are not responsible for what happened 5 yrs ago 8yrs ago, they're battling now.

This is a legendary org with legendary fan support. This club has earned that support to be re-engaged. People missing out on this club are just depriving themselves.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Best way to answer this is each team, each lineup is a different team and the collection of heroic efforts that have been on display this year deserve the fan support.

These players have come on the field this year and bled Green and Gold from game to game and all year.

Theres no question this collection of players has deserved the fan support. This is one of the most enjoyable regular seasons I remember.

Players on the field are not responsible for what happened 5 yrs ago 8yrs ago, they're battling now.

This is a legendary org with legendary fan support. This club has earned that support to be re-engaged. People missing out on this club are just depriving themselves.

Over the years, the esks drove the fans away. people can't expect them to all of a sudden come back during the course of one good season. Of course the players are not responsible for 5 years ago, but the organization has to rebuild the customers faith.

they had one home win last year as the icing on the crap cake.
this season was a good start, but just like it took years to drive them away, it will take time to bring the fans back.

next year will be better, when fans know the esks will have a competitive team, instead of hoping they'll have a competitive team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

You don't crap on people for nearly 8 years in a row, and then expect them to magically forget and all come back at once after a good year. It's a process. Not saying I feel that way individually because I have enjoyed this year as well, but en mass, yes, I agree with others that it takes time to gain trust back. Don't forget, Kavis had an okay first season, including a home playoff game, and then went completely to pieces. Fans are understandably skeptical, despite your judgements on them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You don't crap on people for nearly 8 years in a row, and then expect them to magically forget and all come back at once after a good year. It's a process. Not saying I feel that way individually because I have enjoyed this year as well, but en mass, yes, I agree with others that it takes time to gain trust back. Don't forget, Kavis had an okay first season, including a home playoff game, and then went completely to pieces. Fans are understandably skeptical, despite your judgements on them.

What one judgement have I made?

I merely stated people are missing out if they are not attending to watch this team because of what happened in the Macciocia era.

So how am I judging anybody?

Just saying come out and enjoy this currently great team.

Don't search hard for a negative in what I stated because its not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad