Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread 3.0 : (12 - 6) 3rd in the West - Western Final Vs Calgary up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hours later and I still can't fathom Maas thought process (probably a good thing)

Now even if the Esks gamble on the 13 with 2mins left and don't make it this still leaves the Stamps on their own 13yd line in a 4 pt game. Meaning that the Stamps would have to be ultra conservative, avoid passing, and so that the Esks would know they are running the ball. With a likelihood we get the ball back after a Calgary two and out and kick inside their half of the field with a minute left. All of this better than what transpired.

Essentially we opted for a meaningless FG which only served to give the Stamps the ball on the 35 instead of the 13. We never even rolled the gamble, never got that potential payout of a tie game, and parlayed that into 3pts and Calgary field position edge.

On no logical grounds could Maas justify this call. Even if you say something like "I believe our D will get us the ball back its still better that that take place deep in the Calgary end..

He might as well have said he was hoping for Calgary to go 2 and out and he was pinning his hopes on a blocked punt to win the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only thing I didn't notice, because Stamps fans are probably stupid as Maas. Is that they didn't all stand up and sarcastically cheer when the Esks punting team was called to take the field. Seriously if this is a playoff game at Commonwealth I would be laughing my head off and stomping my feet at an opponent stupid enough to be coached off the field on a game tying drive. Yeah it was that bad that the Stamps fans ought to have stood up and given a spontaneous standing ovation to Maas at that point for the victory. But they must be dense as well..

In fairness maybe everybody was in shock.

The only thing I can thank is that Rod Black wasn't calling this game. The result was bad enough without hearing his Eskimos hate.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There were a number of factors. Philosophical differences being one.

Right....a number of factors. Philosophical differences eh? What a bunch of homogenized BS.

How is it that Rhodes is qualified to be doing the job he is currently doing?

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
How does Maas get in front of the mic and defend that garbage. Should of stepped down right then and there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He might as well have said he was hoping for Calgary to go 2 and out and he was pinning his hopes on a blocked punt to win the game.

With even this being much better around the 13yd line.

I dunno, but just going through every possible risk/reward.

How do people make such STUPID decisions? Its incomprehensible as there could not be ANY conceivable logical reason for the decision that occurred. I think that's what angers people the most. That there isn't even anything close to rationale for this.

I wonder if anything happens over the next couple of weeks or any of the media run hard with this Maas debacle. Lets see if anybody like Terry Jones mans up in the Journal and calls for his head.

Reactions: AUAIOMRN

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

How do people make such STUPID decisions? Its incomprehensible as there could not be ANY conceivable logical reason for the decision that occurred. I think that's what angers people the most. That there isn't even anything close to rationale for this.

I wonder if anything happens over the next couple of weeks or any of the media run hard with this Maas debacle. Lets see if anybody like Terry Jones mans up in the Journal and calls for his head.
The only logic that kind of explains this decision is he forgot they conceded that last single to Calgary and he thought they only trailed by six points meaning two field goals tied the game. Even I have a hard time with that one because if that was the case it would have made more sense kicking the field goal a minute earlier when they were third and ten. Most likely though, he just panicked and had a brain cramp with the game on the line. The play clock is only twenty seconds and maybe “field goal” was the last thing that flashed through his mind as it was time to make a decision.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Fat chance. It'll be a cold day in hell before any media in this town ever put any real heat on the Eskimos or Oilers. Edmonton media might be the most toothless of any major city in North America.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only logic that kind of explains this decision is he forgot they conceded that last single to Calgary and he thought they only trailed by six points meaning two field goals tied the game. Even I have a hard time with that one because if that was the case it would have made more sense kicking the field goal a minute earlier when they were third and ten. Most likely though, he just panicked and had a brain cramp with the game on the line. The play clock is only twenty seconds and maybe “field goal” was the last thing that flashed through his mind as it was time to make a decision.

To anybody that was at the game I wonder if someone could update whether the scoreboard was in fact right, or not, at the Stadium. Still no excuse for not having the right score in your head but all we see is the score on the TV screen. Was the score at the Stadium correct at the time of the third down?

ps I wish the last thing that flashed through his mind was "you're fired"

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lost in all this was that horrible run call on 1st down that lost four yards. The pass to Bowman on second went for ten yards. The four yard loss from the run ended up being the difference between another first down and Maas deciding to kick the FG.

You have the best QB in the league and need four yards to pick up, then another nine to get in the end zone. Basic coaching says keep the ball in the QB's hands and not willingly give the ball back to your opponent to drain the clock. He was betting on a hail mary to win the game when he made his decision to kick.

If it was a six-point game (you still go for the win at that point for the above reasons but ignore that) and the first FG makes it 31-28, there still wasn't enough time remaining to move the ball down field. The wind had been a factor all game as well. How long of a FG could Whyte have made?

There is just so much wrong with the decision and I think it's obvious he's lying when he says he has no regrets about it. The organization can't bring this guy back.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lost in all this was that horrible run call on 1st down that lost four yards. The pass to Bowman on second went for ten yards. The four yard loss from the run ended up being the difference between another first down and Maas deciding to kick the FG.

You have the best QB in the league and need four yards to pick up, then another nine to get in the end zone. Basic coaching says you go for the tie and not willingly give the ball back to your opponent to drain the clock. He was betting on a hail mary to win the game when he made his decision to kick.

If it was a six-point game (you still go for the win at that point for the above reasons but ignore that) and the first FG makes it 31-28, there still wasn't enough time remaining to move the ball down field. The wind had been a factor all game as well.

There is just so much wrong with the decision and I think it's obvious he's lying when he says he has no regrets about it. The organization can't bring this guy back.

The main thing is....it was a 1 possession game. There was no need to plan for getting the ball back a 2nd time.
If all you need is 1 possession to win the game why would you plan for a 2nd possession?

Thats the question that needed to be put to Maas.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This part is revisionist. Gable had the most success previous in the game going around and not hitting the line square. So they just called a play around the end. Simple as that. Calgary read it, it happens, if Gable trots for 10 or 20 nobody is talking about this.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The main thing is....it was a 1 possession game. There was no need to plan for getting the ball back a 2nd time.
It makes no sense. I'm almost convinced he thought they were down by six. Still the wrong decision to kick the FG but at least you can kind of see what he was thinking then.

If Calgary stopped the Eskimos on third down then they take over on their own 13 with ~1:45 left. Edmonton would have gotten decent field position if they made a quick stop, as Maver was punting into the wind.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Kavis Reed and the 13th man. That was a bigger mistake that resulted in losing the GC. Lot of examples of coaching mistakes through history. If we had Chris Jones, he would be living on the edge more.

Maybe if Mass stays he would smarten up, but I kind of doubt it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Kavis Reed and the 13th man. That was a bigger mistake that resulted in losing the GC. Lot of examples of coaching mistakes through history. If we had Chris Jones, he would be living on the edge more.

The decision by Maas really had nothing to do with living on the edge.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It could be worse; it could be the Riders representing the east.

As it is I'm in Calgary this week and will have the Stamps all over town as a reminder of this fiasco.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It makes no sense. I'm almost convinced he thought they were down by six. Still the wrong decision to kick the FG but at least you can kind of see what he was thinking then.

If Calgary stopped the Eskimos on third down then they take over on their own 13 with ~1:45 left. Edmonton would have gotten decent field position if they made a quick stop, as Maver was punting into the wind.

I agree.
There is no defending that play. There really isnt.
Its like the Hervey firing. Rhodes can say all he wants but there is no defending the decision.
Its all about trying to save face after making an indefensible decision.

Thats what Maas is doing now...just trying to save face. If I am a player and Maas comes up to me after the game and says 'good game'. I am thinking WTF...good game? I busted my ass for you and you dont even have the where with all to know the proper score? And now you say you have no regrets?
My next thought would be...get out of my face you phony A-hole.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

As stated earlier in the thread that event was an accident from players running on and off the field. It should never happen but as a fan it can be understood.

Maas’ blunder today was a strategic error that can’t be explained unless he confesses to what he was thinking. That none of us can come up with a solid logical reason to do what he did is what makes this one worse.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I agree.
There is no defending that play. There really isnt.
Its like the Hervey firing. Rhodes can say all he wants but there is no defending the decision.
Its all about trying to save face after making an indefensible decision.

Thats what Maas is doing now...just trying to save face. If I am a player and the coach comes up to me after the game and says 'good game'. I am thinking WTF...good game? I busted my ass for you and you dont even have the where with all to know the proper score? And now you say you have no regrets?
My next thought would be...get out of my face you phony A-hole.
Here's a Maas post-game quote talking about having faith in his defense, special teams, and offense as the reason for kicking the FG:

No faith in the offense to go for it on 3rd-and-4 though...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here's a Maas post-game quote talking about having faith in his defense, special teams, and offense as the reason for kicking the FG:

Indeed.

Also...the question shouldn't have been 'do you regret the call?' Thats a slow pitch question. Just lobbing it up there for Maas to rationalize.

IMO the question should have been...'why was the decision made to plan for a 2nd possession when you only needed 1 possession to win the game?'

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Indeed.

Also...the question shouldn't have been 'do you regret the call?' Thats a slow pitch question. Just lobbing it up there for Maas to rationalize.

IMO the question should have been...'why was the decision made to plan for a 2nd possession when you only needed 1 possession to win the game?'

Hell be more direct: "why did you think kicking the FG gave you a better chance at winning?" It's simple, he messed up, and he doesn't have the guts to man up about it.

At the very least hopefully this "no regets" line is only for the media, behind closed doors in the locker room he better have owned up to his mistake infront of the team. This isn't the same as a player missing a key block, tackle, throw, or even a coach playing a hunch like O'Shea on the fake punt last week; those are cases of "s**t happens, and the play didn't go our way". Here Maas failed to understand a situation that was clear to all, and it cost them a shot at the game.

Reactions: guymez and Ol' Jase

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

That explanation makes the call that much worse and should cost Maas his job.

He had the opportunity to win today and he took it away from his team.

Reactions: guymez

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

Added little kicker at the end of that quote is he's throwing the team under the bus by saying they didn't come through for him

Edit: upon further review, after examining all available interviews... saying that he threw them under the bus was a rather harsh assessment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca