Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread 3.0 : (12 - 6) 3rd in the West - Western Final Vs Calgary up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Then you go for a 2 point convert. Its a higher percentage play considering the situation with the long snapper and the crazy winds.

The second explanation only makes sense if this was a 2 possession game.
It wasn't...it was a 1 possession game.

Well I could see him being arrogant enough to think he could score the FG and get the ball back to score the GW touchdown as time expired. He’s a stubborn and arrogant idiot with questionable intellect and emotional control problems.

Usually one or two of the above can actually make for a good HC (see Jones), but not all of the above.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You can't NOT fire him and expect to be taken seriously as an organization. No respectable assistant is going to work for him.

That said, I do expect this organization to try and take another dump on their fans by not firing him. As Darivsaitl mentioned a few pages back, we need to flood the Eskimos office with phone calls, email, etc. Me and my buddy have 2 season tickets each, and we will be emphatic that we're not renewing them if Maas is back. If 1000 other people make the same ultimatum, the organization won't have much of a choice.

IMO if it takes that level of push back from the fans (for organizational accountability) then it really does speak to the level of incompetence for members of the board and the upper level management.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well I could see him being arrogant enough to think he could score the FG and get the ball back to score the GW touchdown as time expired. He’s a stubborn and arrogant idiot with questionable intellect and emotional control problems.

To me thats not arrogance or stubbornness...its stupidity.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To me thats not arrogance or stubbornness...its stupidity.

I say potato, you say potatoe. Either way he’s not fit to be a HC in this league.

There’s a chance that if Higgins or Maciocia was still coaching this team that we would have blown out the Stamps today. That’s how bad Maas is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I say potato, you say potatoe. Either way he’s not fit to be a HC in this league.

There’s a chance that if Higgins or Maciocia was still coaching this team that we would have blown out the Stamps today. That’s how bad Maas is.

I dont think that stubbornness and arrogance are a different way to describe stupidity. There are many smart people that are stubborn and/or arrogant.

That said I completely agree that this is a fireable offense. Its just too blatant.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I dont think that stubbornness and arrogance are a different way to describe stupidity. There are many smart people that are stubborn and/or arrogant.

That said I completely agree that this is a fireable offense. Its just too blatant.

I also called him an idiot though. ;)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
IMO if it takes that level of push back from the fans (for organizational accountability) then it really does speak to the level of incompetence for members of the board and the upper level management.

I think we all know what we're dealing with when it comes to upper management with this franchise. We up and fired a Grey Cup winning GM under the vague "winning isn't enough" pretext. Word on the street is, Len Rhodes simply didn't want to pay Ed Hervey the salary he would command (and therefore, make Hervey higher paid than Rhodes himself) and allowed the media to go with the story line that it was the media themselves that got Hervey run off since the organization had become less accessible as a smokescreen. I guess my thoughts are, the terrible coaching won't get the coach fired. But the bottom line is the still the bottom line with the board of governors, and if they stand to lose 1000 asses in the seats for 9 games next year, that might get the coach fired. Big "if" though, depends how pissed off the other 20,000 season ticket holders are. Basically need 5% to be furious enough to cancel and to vocally express that sentiment to the team.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Honestly I am still just dumbfounded by this game. Its been almost 3 hours and I just cant believe what I witnessed.
:huh::help:

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Oil75

Feb 26, 2017
In the red zone right after completing a a 3rd and 10, your offence is rolling, your MOP at the helm and you use " I believed in our team could come back and score again and win" as your excuse?!?! He actually made himself look worse by stating this. he would have at least earned a morsel of credibility back if he would of just admitted the mistake. As many of said reeks of arrogance and ego. This moment was too big for him and his season of ranting and raving on the sidelines was capped of with this debacle.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In the red zone right after completing a a 3rd and 10, your offence is rolling, your MOP at the helm and you use " I believed in our team could come back and score again and win" as your excuse?!?! He actually made himself look worse by stating this. he would have at least earned a morsel of credibility back if he would of just admitted the mistake. As many of said reeks of arrogance and ego. This moment was too big for him and his season of ranting and raving on the sidelines was capped of with this debacle.

Re the highlighted...well said. :nod:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I just read in this thread what happened. Not much of a football fan (a novice of the game) but I know that was a dumb move to go for the FG instead of a TD...ugh.. Hard times for Edmonton sports fans..

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Honestly I am still just dumbfounded by this game. Its been almost 3 hours and I just cant believe what I witnessed.
:huh::help:

Higgins, Maciocia, Reed...a Rogue's Gallery of terrible coaches...who knew that Maas could manage to out-do them all with one single call?

I'm not even really angry right now. Just still in complete disbelief at what I witnessed. Still hoping to wake up in bed and realize it was just some stupid dream. I mean, that is when you realize you're in a dream right, when something inconsistent with earthly reality occurs?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Higgins, Maciocia, Reed...a Rogue's Gallery of terrible coaches...who knew that Maas could manage to out-do them all with one single call?

I'm not even really angry right now. Just still in complete disbelief at what I witnessed. Still hoping to wake up in bed and realize it was just some stupid dream. I mean, that is when you realize you're in a dream right, when something inconsistent with earthly reality occurs?

Lol...thats exactly how I feel as well. Complete and total disbelief.
It has to be a dream....right? :nod:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, what's done is done and despite this epic stupidity I guess that Maas will be back.

Interesting thoughts for next year:

-Bowman will not return as the highest paid receiver in the league. That drop on his own 20 was a major momentum shifter that cost us dearly. You can't have this stuff go on forever. Come back maybe, but not at 250K per year.
-Zylstra probably in an NFL camp.
-Walker is a major signing priority, so is Grymes.
-Rottier probably retires with his age and the injuries he has suffered.
-Franklin exits, who will be the new backup?
-The search for Canadian receivers goes on and will be a major focus for the draft.
-Don't know if Gable is under contract for next year but he is another priority.
-DE position is getting long in the tooth, it will be another priority area.
-At least 4 guys will be coming off Achilles tendon horror, wonder how they will do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, what's done is done and despite this epic stupidity I guess that Maas will be back.

Interesting thoughts for next year:

-Bowman will not return as the highest paid receiver in the league. That drop on his own 20 was a major momentum shifter that cost us dearly. You can't have this stuff go on forever. Come back maybe, but not at 250K per year.
-Zylstra probably in an NFL camp.
-Walker is a major signing priority, so is Grymes.
-Rottier probably retires with his age and the injuries he has suffered.
-Franklin exits, who will be the new backup?
-The search for Canadian receivers goes on and will be a major focus for the draft.
-Don't know if Gable is under contract for next year but he is another priority.
-DE position is getting long in the tooth, it will be another priority area.
-At least 4 guys will be coming off Achilles tendon horror, wonder how they will do.

Its too soon for this. Way too soon. :nod:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm saying he won't be fired for that.

With all due respect...you are just stating the obvious.
I dont think anybody really expects this organization to be accountable for the right reason.
Its track record has proved that time and time again. Why did Rhodes fire Hervey again?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
With all due respect...you are just stating the obvious.
I dont think anybody really expects this organization to be accountable for the right reason.
Its track record has proved that time and time again. Why did Rhodes fire Hervey again?
There were a number of factors. Philosophical differences being one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hours later and I still can't fathom Maas thought process (probably a good thing)

Now even if the Esks gamble on the 13 with 2mins left and don't make it this still leaves the Stamps on their own 13yd line in a 4 pt game. Meaning that the Stamps would have to be ultra conservative, avoid passing, and so that the Esks would know they are running the ball. With a likelihood we get the ball back after a Calgary two and out and kick inside their half of the field with a minute left. All of this better than what transpired.

Essentially we opted for a meaningless FG which only served to give the Stamps the ball on the 35 instead of the 13. We never even rolled the gamble, never got that potential payout of a tie game, and parlayed that into 3pts and Calgary field position edge.

On no logical grounds could Maas justify this call. Even if you say something like "I believe our D will get us the ball back its still better that that take place deep in the Calgary end..

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

Usually one or two of the above can actually make for a good HC (see Jones), but not all of the above.
Even then you're betting on another td from your end with like 20 seconds on the clock, plus a 2 and out from your defense over 3rd and 4 with 13 yds to the endzone. Turning the ball over on downs, or even kneeling the ball would have resulted in better field position. I can't think of a worse play call other than asking your kicker to punt it backwards.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad