Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread 3.0 : (12 - 6) 3rd in the West - Western Final Vs Calgary up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe it's good that we have only one week until the Grey Cup game instead of two like for the Super Bowl game. There is less time to mull over such disappointing games like that. I'm feeling crushed this morning. I wish Maas would own the call and admit he made a mistake instead of trying to justify a bonehead call. I can imagine how Reilly et al are feeling. Sherritt worked his tail off to try to be ready for the big game and now this.

Any chance that Maas would have any credibility left with the fan base disappeared when he refused to own his call when asked about it. If someone is too stupid/arrogant to actually realize they made a mistake, how can they possibly grow as a coach and be trusted in future?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
After coming to my senses a bit since yesterday I have softened a little bit on this provided Maas takes full blame for his indefensible stupidity. IF he does that then I think there might be an argument for him to keep his job.

Stomeman probably posted the most important statement in this thread regarding Maas....Sunderland didnt hire him.

So I think that how Maas deals with the fallout of his stupidity is very very important. Especially considering how Maas so poorly managed his emotions when his assistants made mistakes. Mistakes that were no where near the level of what Maas did yesterday.

All that being said I am not convinced that Sunderland has the power to fire Maas who is a Rhodes hire. Assuming Sunderland has the power to fire Maas the other concern being I dont know who could be brought in to coach this team.

If Sunderland has been neutered to the point that he as the GM cannot select his own coach, then we are in more trouble that I thought. But at least if ne's canned shortly, we have an entire offseason to look for a replacement.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
No. He opted for the "I have no regrets" approach.
x1cUVxeif2RhBqAbbJaEmOqeubg=.gif

Oct 15, 2008
Franchise is a joke if Maas is not fired. There is no justification for his lack of control all year on the sidelines and yesterday was the shit cherry on the shit cake. The fact he still won't own it is a further slap in the face of the players and the fans.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I get that looking down your nose at the doomspeakers on here is your thing, but are you really gonna come after this thread for people real time venting to one of the most questionable coaching decisions ever seen?

Really?
No I'm actually serious, it's a fireable call from Maas, I just wasn't sure how much they were planning to clean out is that were the case, start from scratch or only let a few people go?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
No I'm actually serious, it's a fireable call from Maas, I just wasn't sure how much they were planning to clean out is that were the case, start from scratch or only let a few people go?

Fair enough and my bad. Your post read a lot like your usual sarcasm. :laugh:

To answer the question, no. Nothing that anyone has heard yet.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Fair enough and my bad. Your post read a lot like your usual sarcasm. :laugh:

To answer the question, no. Nothing that anyone has heard yet.
Fair enough, I have dropped just a bit of that throughout this year. One would think if there was any inclination to get rid of Maas (and or crew) this would be the opportunity.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Love Maas in the media today. What an absolute arrogant arse. Seriously dude, such a dumb move and you say you have no regrets??? like do you honestly think your "I'm so smart only I can see the brilliance in the FG" schtick is going to fool people... ? The best part was Sid Siexero ABSOLUTELY CALLING MAAS OUT on Tim & Sid hahahahahaha. Utterly eviscerated.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Maas is surely lying through his teeth at this point. He can't possibly believe that he made a correct, or even a defensible call, yesterday. Jason Strudwick mentioned this afternoon that when the camera showed him immediately afterwards he totally had that look of "Oh crap I really screwed up here", and I agree with that assessment. There definitely was a panicked look on his face, not the look of a coach who was confident in what he was doing. Given that, I have to agree with the "he thought we were only down by 6" theory. And is now refusing to admit to such a blunder, rather muttering on about having faith in the defense and such.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Love Maas in the media today. What an absolute arrogant arse. Seriously dude, such a dumb move and you say you have no regrets??? like do you honestly think your "I'm so smart only I can see the brilliance in the FG" schtick is going to fool people... ? The best part was Sid Siexero ABSOLUTELY CALLING MAAS OUT on Tim & Sid hahahahahaha. Utterly eviscerated.

I'm glad that someone in the media told it like it was but really it doesn't come down to what fans or the GM say, it all comes down to what Len Rhodes says and he is not going to fire Maas. Brock is allowed to trade players and sign players but he does not have the authority to terminate the coach.

When you look back at Higgins, DM and Reed they all outstayed their welcome for at least a season or two before something was done. Look forward to more of the same here.

Pass the vodka and go easy on the orange juice.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Maas is surely lying through his teeth at this point. He can't possibly believe that he made a correct, or even a defensible call, yesterday. Jason Strudwick mentioned this afternoon that when the camera showed him immediately afterwards he totally had that look of "Oh crap I really screwed up here", and I agree with that assessment. There definitely was a panicked look on his face, not the look of a coach who was confident in what he was doing. Given that, I have to agree with the "he thought we were only down by 6" theory. And is now refusing to admit to such a blunder, rather muttering on about having faith in the defense and such.

Maas had the deer in the headlights look from the sidelines the rest of the game and was shown multiple times looking like a spaced out clueless dork. Didn't look much different in the post game interview.

Stubborn bugger won't even admit he was wrong. It makes it worse. Its one thing (bad enough) to loose your head in the game and maybe panicked and screwed up. But a day later to say that this is your thought process, you don't regret it, would do the same thing again, that is inexcusable. Get rid of him so he can't f*** it up again. A coach should rarely if ever cost a team a playoff game in the first place. But to do it in such an inane manner on a gamble call any grade 4 student could make is unforgiveable.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ironically, Higgins or Maciocia would have coached this team to an easy win yesterday.

You could make a case for Reed, although Maas is probably better than Reed (that's not saying much).

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
The only thing I didn't notice, because Stamps fans are probably stupid as Maas. Is that they didn't all stand up and sarcastically cheer when the Esks punting team was called to take the field. Seriously if this is a playoff game at Commonwealth I would be laughing my head off and stomping my feet at an opponent stupid enough to be coached off the field on a game tying drive. Yeah it was that bad that the Stamps fans ought to have stood up and given a spontaneous standing ovation to Maas at that point for the victory. But they must be dense as well..
I feel like that it was such a moronic move by Maas that Stamps fans must have felt they were missing something. I know I would be if I was an opposing fan to a move like that, just mind boggling.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The interesting thing is you would think Rhodes would dislike Maas since he seems to be all about the organizations community image and doesn't seem to care at all about team success.

Last night aside, Maas has been successful as a HC but a total PR nightmare in his tenure to date.

The team had a good season (until the Western Final) but it could be argued that Maas held the team back in some respects.

If Sunderland has been neutered to the point that he as the GM cannot select his own coach, then we are in more trouble that I thought. But at least if ne's canned shortly, we have an entire offseason to look for a replacement.

I'm glad that someone in the media told it like it was but really it doesn't come down to what fans or the GM say, it all comes down to what Len Rhodes says and he is not going to fire Maas. Brock is allowed to trade players and sign players but he does not have the authority to terminate the coach.

When you look back at Higgins, DM and Reed they all outstayed their welcome for at least a season or two before something was done. Look forward to more of the same here.

Pass the vodka and go easy on the orange juice.

Re: the bolded....
MoontoScott....do you know this for sure?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The team had a good season (until the Western Final) but it could be argued that Maas held the team back in some respects.

Re: the bolded....
MoontoScott....do you know this for sure?

No, I don't know for sure but watching Rhodes and Brock sit together the body language tells me that Rhodes is not going to let a 30 something GM gain too much authority. Do you think that the GM has this authority?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Was there ever a time when Maas (the QB) was able to overcome the big moments in playoff games? I can recall a couple of times when Ricky Ray had to take over because Maas was so ineffective.

Perhaps he just doesnt process the big game moments effectively.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Was there ever a time when Maas (the QB) was able to overcome the big moments in playoff games? I can recall a couple of times when Ricky Ray had to take over because Maas was so ineffective.

Perhaps he just doesnt process the big game moments effectively.

It was the other way around. Maas took over for Ray because Ray really struggled in some playoff games. Maas doesn't think sometimes, he just goes out and acts. Which is why he was so good in that role. He didn't overthink it. Ray tended to overthink things sometimes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No, I don't know for sure but watching Rhodes and Brock sit together the body language tells me that Rhodes is not going to let a 30 something GM gain too much authority. Do you think that the GM has this authority?

Just by the events of the past couple of years (and reading between the lines) it looked to me like Rhodes is a very insecure individual. The type of upper level manager that has no business having the authority that he has.

So to me it would make sense if Rhodes was able to protect his position (clearly threatened by Hervey) by creating an additional element of control. Neutering his GM in some respects would certainly accomplish that.
It would also make sure that Brock wasn't able to achieve too much leverage in future contract negotiations which was clearly an issue with Hervey.

Of course I was/am just guessing...you seemed to have some certainty with what you posted.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just wanted to comment, that in regards to the opinion Maas' decision during the game, I don't believe I have ever witnessed this board being 100 % in agreement on anything. Until now. That's how obviously bad it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->