Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread 3.0 : (12 - 6) 3rd in the West - Western Final Vs Calgary up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Mass gets fired for that for sure. I don't think you can hold the respect of your peers and your players after a decision like that.

It would be one thing if it was a subjective call where he made the right choice based on technical odds but the wrong choice for the team. Or if he made the right choice for the team but the wrong technical choice.

But he made a low percentage call that pushed the game out of the hands of our best players. Only reason I can see for him doing that, is if he can't do basic math or if he put his ego and winning in regulation ahead of winning period.

Just an awful awful call. I can't imagine what Reilly is thinking right now.

If that was a consideration, just score the TD and go for 2. Or just go for 1 and hope your defense gets you the ball back which you were depending on anyway with the strategy that you did choose.

Truly, a worse call could not have been made. I guess we could have punted through the end zone. That's the only play I can think of that would have given us worse odds of winning. Taking a knee and turning it over on downs at the 13 would have been better than a FG. It really was astonishing.

Reactions: iCanada

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Something that’s been forgotten but made the decision even more surprising in real time was that the long snapper was hurt. There was a poor snap on a punt just a few minutes earlier. Any field goal attempt was no longer a sure thing. As the drive was happening I wondered if the team would go for two because of that. I think the commentators even mentioned that as well.

Reactions: guymez

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
It was astonishing. His defence of it after the game just made him look even worse. Gotta go for that. They were moving the ball and had momentum. Tie that game up.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah. Mind boggling.

It's a truly remarkable how well he picked the worst possible option. Nothing about his choice is defendable at all.

Just makes no sense. Defies all logic.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At the airport in Vegas waiting for my plane and reading all the comments and you guys have all captured my thoughts and more on this debacle. Watched the games at the sports bar and I probably embarrassed my wife pretty good by screaming some obscenities at the bank of tv’s as Dr Einstein made his decision.
If I may put a Sin City spin on this, it would be like playing blackjack with the dealer showing a 7 and you having an 18 and pulling on it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Fair point. Let's call it standing on 11 and saying you did so because you figured the dealer would bust. You could still win, but you just made a decision so poor that it defies any rational explanation.

You're not even joking. That's how surreal this is.

Peter Griffin calling "hit me" while showing 21 in blackjack is interchangeable with Maas kicking a FG.

This is pretty much it.

It would be funny if it wasn’t my sports team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So I haven't read all the responses in this thread but I can pretty much guess that there is a running theme.

All I am going to say about this game and this team is that there is no doubt in my mind that group of players is championship caliber. That Ladies and Gentlemen is a championship roster.

It was a concern all along that Maas would pull the carpet out from under this team with either his arrogance or his stupidity. So in the end that championship roster was not able to overcome the abject stupidity of the Head Coach.

He gambles on 3rd and 10 and then kicks a field goal (down by 7 with less than 2 min to go) on 3rd and 6. A field goal that doesn't help the team in any way...3 points that changes nothing in terms of whats required to win.

I didnt like the Maas signing when it happened and I have seen nothing that would suggest that I was wrong 2 years ago. I take no pleasure what so ever from being right. I would have loved to have eaten crow on this.

I really dont see how Maas can recover his credibility after such an indefensible mistake. What possible defence could Maas or anybody else have for such a blatantly stupid mistake. One has to question the IQ of a Coach that managed the last few minutes of this game the way that Maas did.

So now we are left to simmer until next season with an ending that illustrates a level of stupidity that defies description knowing all the while that there will be no accountability from Maas or the organization.
We are left to try and be positive about what next season may bring knowing that there will be the same level of stupidity guiding this team next season as well.

So glad I didnt waste a penny on this organization this season. They dont respect the fans enough to justify the money.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So I haven't read all the responses in thsi thread but I can pretty much guess that there is a running theme.

All I am going to say about this game and this team is that there is no doubt in my mind that group of players is championship caliber. That Ladies and Gentlemen is a championship roster.

It was a concern all along that Maas would pull the carpet out from under this team with either his arrogance or his stupidity. So in the end that championship roster was not able to overcome the abject stupidity of the Head Coach.

He gambles on 3rd and 10 and then kicks a field goal (down by 7 with less than 2 min to go) on 3rd and 6. A field goal that doesn't help the team in any way...3 points that changes nothing in terms of whats required to win.

I didnt like the Maas signing when it happened and I have seen nothing that would suggest that I was wrong 2 years ago. I take no pleasure what so ever from being right. I would have loved to have eaten crow in this.

I really dont see how Maas can recover his credibility after such an indefensible mistake. What possible defence could Maas or anybody else have for such a blatantly stupid mistake. One has to question the IQ of a Coach that does what Maas did.

So now we are left to simmer until next season with an ending that illustrates a level of stupidity that defies description knowing all the while that there will be no accountability from Maas or the organization.
We are left to try and be positive about what next season may bring knowing that there will be the same level of stupidity guiding this team next season as well.

So glad I didnt waste a penny on this organization this season. They dont respect the fans enough to justify the money.

Actually we’ve been praising Maas for his brilliant decision making. What rock have you been living under? ;)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
So I haven't read all the responses in thsi thread but I can pretty much guess that there is a running theme.

I didnt like the Maas signing when it happened and I have seen nothing that would suggest that I was wrong 2 years ago. I take no pleasure what so ever from being right. I would have loved to have eaten crow in this.

I really dont see how Maas can recover his credibility after such an indefensible mistake. What possible defence could Maas or anybody else have for such a blatantly stupid mistake. One has to question the IQ of a Coach that does what Maas did.

Yeah... not sure how he can canvas respect of the team going forward. Don't think it's possible.

He has to be fired.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Something that’s been forgotten but made the decision even more surprising in real time was that the long snapper was hurt. There was a poor snap on a punt just a few minutes earlier. Any field goal attempt was no longer a sure thing. As the drive was happening I wondered if the team would go for two because of that. I think the commentators even mentioned that as well.

Good point. Imagine if the snap had been bungled on the FG attempt. Wait...it would have arguably been a better outcome than the FG being good. We may have scrambled our way to a first down on a broken play, or turned the ball over with a few extra seconds on the clock and not had to deal with a Roy Finch return (yeah we kicked it straight to him on that ensuing kickoff...another mind-boggling decision).

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
No he doesn't. Stupid call but he's not being fired for it.

I mean... can you respect his opinion on any other play going forward? Hee said post game he thinks he made the right call. No regrets.

I can't. Every play call he makes is tainted with this one he was adamant about, and stuck with post Game despite making the objective worst possible decision.

I question whether the players can either. And frankly, I think that makes him decidedly unqualified all of the sudden.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Actually we’ve been praising Maas for his brilliant decision making. What rock have you been living under? ;)

I have been avoiding the board for the past while...has the sentiment changed? ;)

Yeah... not sure how he can canvas respect of the team going forward. Don't think it's possible.

He has to be fired.

I agree.
This is unrecoverable IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Moneyguy...how can you possibly defend or justify that call. This isnt a failed gamble.
This is a call made by someone who simply didnt understand what was required to win this game. This wasnt a bad decision...this was even beyond being inexperienced.

This is a question of IQ.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Moneyguy...how can you possibly defend or justify that call. This isnt a failed gamble.
This is a call made by someone who simply didnt understand what was required to win this game. This wasnt a bad decision...this was even beyond being inexperienced.

I wish people would read my post more carefully. I never defended Maas or the call.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

We have two explanations we’ve come up with. One points to bad IQ/math skills and the other - that he wanted to get the last shot in and win in regulation on a ridiculously low percentage gamble - points to selfishness and a bloated ego above team concept.

Both should result in his firing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We have two explanations we’ve come up with. One points to bad IQ/math skills and the other - that he wanted to get the last shot in and win in regulation on a ridiculously low percentage gamble - points to selfishness and a bloated ego above team concept.

Both should result in his firing.

Then you go for a 2 point convert. Its a higher percentage play considering the situation with the long snapper and the crazy winds.

The second explanation only makes sense if this was a 2 possession game.
It wasn't...it was a 1 possession game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You can't NOT fire him and expect to be taken seriously as an organization. No respectable assistant is going to work for him.

That said, I do expect this organization to try and take another dump on their fans by not firing him. As Darivsaitl mentioned a few pages back, we need to flood the Eskimos office with phone calls, email, etc. Me and my buddy have 2 season tickets each, and we will be emphatic that we're not renewing them if Maas is back. If 1000 other people make the same ultimatum, the organization won't have much of a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00