Elks: Edmonton Es---Elks--2022 thread 1-(Jones is back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have no doubt that Jones is probably the best candidate for the job.

I just worry he leaves like he has done in the past or like Milanovich just did to us.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, the media really has the knives out for Jones. I don't remember the behind the scenes from his first tenure here, was he the Elks Dallas Eakins or something?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is like going out with the town tramp for the second time, after she already broke your heart once. You know it’s going to be fun and exciting while you’re together, but you know it’s not going to last very long, and when it’s over you will likely feel used and be in a worse place than you were to begin with, but you just can’t resist the temptation.

Hey this is no way to talk about my teenage sweethearts.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think this is too much for any man to do; GM and Head Coach. I guess we'll wait and see.

I think that they will probably have someone assigned to the position of "assistant GM" to handle some of the more mundane items.

If we can get even 2 years out of Jones to try and steady the ship and plug some holes then I am happy.

Right now the team has zero credibility with even long term fans so start by restoring a bit of confidence and go from there. If he bolts but the Elk herd is on the right trail then so be it.

Anything is better than the sheer incompetence that we have seen in the last 5 years.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
I think that they will probably have someone assigned to the position of "assistant GM" to handle some of the more mundane items.

If we can get even 2 years out of Jones to try and steady the ship and plug some holes then I am happy.

Right now the team has zero credibility with even long term fans so start by restoring a bit of confidence and go from there. If he bolts but the Elk herd is on the right trail then so be it.

Anything is better than the sheer incompetence that we have seen in the last 5 years.

Another thing too is I'm sure money is tight as Elks are paying for Sunderland and Elizondo next year. Combining the 2 positions maybe was key with all of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Another thing too is I'm sure money is tight as Elks are paying for Sunderland and Elizondo next year. Combing the 2 positions maybe was key with all of this.

No question it was a factor. Those severance packages were a huge amount of money for the club.

One thing for sure, Jones won't put up with any attitudes that he doesn't like.

If Mr. Walker is invited back and says-- the team is no good so why should I bother to catch the ball then he will be leaving in a hurry. No more excuses for anybody--start winning.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Excellent hire, probably the best guy for the job. Hopefully we have some good support on the non import aspect of the job.

Even a better hire because Mark Spector is blowing a gasket about it, which most likely means it is good move.

It's still and odd move in that these position are filled before president is hired. The Pres and GM need to be able to work together and not want to kill each other.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
with our current management cap hell we are in thanks to the previous regime - Jones was probably the best choice. Is he ideal? No but he wins and the Elks need that.

I'm interested to see if he will embrace the Eskimo culture into his team or will he start fresh and make the Elks into his culture since the Elks have past right now. Maybe with the fact he can mold the franchise into how he would like will entice him to stay longer than 3 years.

Also eat a bag of dycks media... you where hoping for a new GM that you should push over and mold to your liking. You won't get that with Jones . Really wanna see who becomes President and if we have a assistant GM.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hilarious that Terry Jones is trying to lead an anti-Jones crusade just because he doesn't answer questions quite how Terry would like.

I understand the hesitation over Jones being a flight risk, but I can't possibly grasp the vitriol from some over this hire along with the conspiracy theories about season ticket holders bolting and the like. Do people have poor memories of winning the Grey Cup or something? The first Jones era was the only one in the past 15 years that in any way resembled the Eskimos of old which is what I thought we were trying to get back to.

Support the hire 100%

All they need to know is that hiring Jones makes a more casual fan like me think of the 2015 Grey Cup win and actually give a shit about watching next season (and maybe even going to some games!). There are many choices they could have made that would have resulted in furthering my apathy towards the team

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's December and I'm really pumped to watch this team next year. Haven't said that in years.
I didn’t see the Jones post and was thinking.

this has to be sarcasm.

but I agree, this season might of been a blessing since it got them to clean house and put an actual good football mind at the helm

Reactions: bellagiobob

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hilarious that Terry Jones is trying to lead an anti-Jones crusade just because he doesn't answer questions quite how Terry would like.

I understand the hesitation over Jones being a flight risk, but I can't possibly grasp the vitriol from some over this hire along with the conspiracy theories about season ticket holders bolting and the like. Do people have poor memories of winning the Grey Cup or something? The first Jones era was the only one in the past 15 years that in any way resembled the Eskimos of old which is what I thought we were trying to get back to.

Support the hire 100%
I’ll take potentially winning a grey cup if he bounces after.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I’ll take potentially winning a grey cup if he bounces after.

I do like the fact he's reference settling down now and he's basically the exact age Huf was when he joined Calgary as GM/HC. Granted, once bitten, twice shy they say.

The worst case scenario I see is he improves the team during a brief couple year run, with the best case scenario being he sets up shop and establishes a prolonged run of success over the next decade. I'm hoping the four year contract is a sign of this intention.

Both of those scenarios are okay with me.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Wait, what? If there are actually any season ticket holders left after this last fiasco, they certainly won’t be scared off by the hiring of someone with a track record of always turning the team around and having a winning record.
Yeah, me. I just renewed, not because of this hiring but I was going to cancel unless they fired those other guys. They did, so I’m back.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

Support the hire 100%
There is winning then everything else is a far second. Jones is butt hurt because Jones didn't kiss his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad