Elks: Edmonton Elks Part 2

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Why the heck are they ditching the double east games? Are they cheaping out on travel? What is the reason? Seems stupid.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Why the heck are they ditching the double east games? Are they cheaping out on travel? What is the reason? Seems stupid.

Personally I would rather see a couple extra games against WC teams than play each of the east teams twice.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Personally I would rather see a couple extra games against WC teams than play each of the east teams twice.

Not me, we already see these guys 3 or 4 times a year. In a 9 team league we don;t need more.

I liked the Canada division last year in the NHL as a chance with lots of extra games vs some teams but not for the CFL.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not me, we already see these guys 3 or 4 times a year. In a 9 team league we don;t need more.

I liked the Canada division last year in the NHL as a chance with lots of extra games vs some teams but not for the CFL.

From an attendance and revenue standpoint, I think this is the smart move. Bigger numbers for rivalry games. I would like to see 3 games against each of the other WC clubs, and then 6 games against the EC. Which they've pretty much done for next year, except we play Cgy 4 times and the Bombers twice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From an attendance and revenue standpoint, I think this is the smart move. Bigger numbers for rivalry games. I would like to see 3 games against each of the other WC clubs, and then 6 games against the EC. Which they've pretty much done for next year, except we play Cgy 4 times and the Bombers twice.

Like as if the Elks have a rivalry with anybody...they're in a relegation league of their own..;)

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Several Canadian acts are going on tour again and have played shows recently. Neil Young W Crazy Horse would be awesome. They just put out another album. Several older acts are even doing B circuits but you telling me somebody like April Wine couldn't do a Grey Cup show? Kim Mitchell? f*** he's Canadas party band of the past. Don't think they ever gave him a Grey Cup.

Ton of Canadian artists exist and are still performing.

72 Canadian Singers and Bands Who Made It Big in America - Spinditty

But with the CFL its like they only ever heard of 5 artists or something and we could expect to see the same forever. I think whats most annoying is how a group like the Arkells is constantly propped by CBC, Canadian awards shows etc and they have basically a very limited following. Although they are playing venues like Rogers place its the minor act half bowl and I just took a look, they haven't sold even 1K seats. Basically 80% of the seats, in half bowl, are still available. They wouldn't sell out Shaw Conference Center. Not even the Jube.

Despite all the propping and constantly gifted exposure the Arkells just aren't happening, and its pretty easy to see why. I mean to anybody that has grown up with good music, who would by their albums or go to their jugband show? Few apparently.
Appreciate the list. I remember the days when I thought that all we had to offer was Buffy St. Marie, Anne Murray and Paul Anka . CBC really propped them up once upon a time. Late 70s if I remember correctly. Time to explore some of these. I guess Gowan wasn't big in the US...lol. Surprised Rough Trade wasn't on the list though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Give me extra Saskatchewan and Calgary before Ottawa and Toronto any day of the year. And the attendance differences seems to bear that out.

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Official 2022 Free Agent Tracker - CFL.ca

I notice that Fletcher and Tolliver are not on the 2022 EE free agent list although this list may be incomplete.

I assume that means they are signed for the 2022 season so that's a good start when your 2 best offensive players are returning. Both look like stars to me.

Edwards, Walker, Ellingson and Wilder are all free agents. I doubt that any of the 4 will return.

I also notice that Grymes was extended by the club the other day. I wonder who is doing the signings these days with nobody left in the front office? I assume Wally may have permission from the BOD to handle it for now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I'd like to see what Goveia can do.

Yes I also think that a combination of GM/HC can be overwhelming.

I would argue that GM/President is easier to merge especially when you have a Chairman of the Board who can handle some of the President's duties. What exactly did Presson do when he was here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad