Elks: Edmonton Elks Part 2

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’d be thrilled with Goveia as GM and Jones as head coach and defensive coordinator. I’m not sold Jones can handle coaching and the GM role, but the Elks are likely super cheap right now so I could see them doing it to save money.

Same. Don’t want Jones doing both jobs, mainly because when he does eventually bolt under the cover of darkness one night, don’t want to be in the immediate bind to replace two key positions. But as you say, money may be the deciding factor here. That stupid Sunderland extension is going to bite us in the ass.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
some people are wondering if Goveia is here to be assistant GM.

Jones GM/HC/maybe DC and Goveia assistant GM. So when Jones bolts, and he will, we will have a GM in house to replace him. That I could get behind....

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Goveia is here as a short, short-listed candidate, although who knows what might happen if he’s not chosen for the top job.

I’d like Goveia; pass on Jones, please.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Goveia is here as a short, short-listed candidate, although who knows what might happen if he’s not chosen for the top job.

I’d like Goveia; pass on Jones, please.
What’re you hearing on who has the inside track?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wonder if Hervey’s been black balled in the league over that Reilly contract?

Could be, but in fairness that contract was written in far different times for the league and when optimism would have run at a peak as to what league futures and expenditures could be. In 2021 that same world looks a whole lot different.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
But that O'Reilly fiasco had nothing to do with Buono?

Does it matter, at all? In the least?

i've gone on record as saying hiring Buono was stupid.

Buono hired hervey and then they had to fire him. Totally expected he would not want to hire him again. I'm not saying it is right, I'm saying it is no surprise at all

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If I remember correctly, Jones left our cup winning team for a GM & Head coaching gig with the Riders, which turned out to be a disaster. If he wants GM & Head coach position here then go with the other candidate Goveia.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Could be, but in fairness that contract was written in far different times for the league and when optimism would have run at a peak as to what league futures and expenditures could be. In 2021 that same world looks a whole lot different.
I’m talking about the second contract that guaranteed all the money in the first contract would be paid. The one he didn’t tell the league or the Lions about.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If I remember correctly, Jones left our cup winning team for a GM & Head coaching gig with the Riders, which turned out to be a disaster. If he wants GM & Head coach position here then go with the other candidate Goveia.

There were some hiccups Year 1 as he purged the system of people that weren't helping with results, and he pushed the boundaries of what was within the rules to do so. Looked bad as an outsider, but as a fan of a team, I want a guy that's going to push every envelope to move the needle.

He took over a 3-15 team, and started poorly going 1-10 to start his first year but then settled that team into a 4-3 finish. He then improved the team to 10-8 with Kevin Glenn as his starter and made an Eastern Final appearance in Year 2. In Year 3, they hosted a Western Final, albeit they lost because they had to use Bridge as their QB but that's a pretty good turnaround considering they had a struggling Collaros who wasn't fully healthy on and off that year. In Year 4, he left late, but that team was still basically his and they won the west before losing in the Final again.

Pretty good turnaround if you ask me, and actually somewhat simlar to the arc of Hervey's first 3/4 years, with the difference being Hervey's QB was healthy and playing the best ball of his career going into the playoffs in Year 3. If Jones had been fortunate enough to have found a QB like Reilly, or even if Collaros stays healthy in Year 3, one of those teams could have won a cup.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Let's hope that no matter which guy wins the competition that someone explains to them where things have gone wrong in the past because that's an important part of the interview process and you have to tell people, "hey if you want this job then here's what we expect--so think it over carefully".

From the team's perspective there should be no more excuses about hiring duds who (1) can't work with other people in the organization or the league or the media (2) don't understand the concept of a publically owned team and the history of an organization like the Esks (3) create an environment of fear and intimidation in the work place (4) are simply incompetent and silly.

Last edited:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I don't get how you wouldn't even just give him an interview.

They are all about the community and history of the team and they won't even give him an interview. A guy that is literally in the city too
I don't understand why people are so surprised by this. He always seemed like a difficult personality to work with. I'm assuming he burned some bridges within the EEFC while here also.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't get how you wouldn't even just give him an interview.

They are all about the community and history of the team and they won't even give him an interview. A guy that is literally in the city too

Said it before but my ending memory of Hervey here was how caustic he was towards the fanbase at the GC win celebration DT in Churchill Square. His comments on the fanbase were off base, they were critical, and it was ridiculous that they occurred in the midst of a celebration of a W. The man has some kind of anger. But he had contempt for the fanbase. Thats an unforgiveable ingredient and especially as befits a community type org. Fans felt scolded by Hervey after his little rant speech.

Could have been misinterpreted. Maybe he is just highly sarcastic. he said that the Eskimos fan base "cares a lot, like way too much" and made some other comments to that effect. As a supportive fan the comments felt critical of the fanbase, and after that, and Reilly being punted I stopped being a ticket buying fan. The org had gone back to not appreciating its fanbase.

Reactions: oilers'72

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Said it before but my ending memory of Hervey here was how caustic he was towards the fanbase at the GC win celebration DT in Churchill Square. His comments on the fanbase were off base, they were critical, and it was ridiculous that they occurred in the midst of a celebration of a W. The man has some kind of anger. But he had contempt for the fanbase. Thats an unforgiveable ingredient and especially as befits a community type org. Fans felt scolded by Hervey after his little rant speech.

Could have been misinterpreted. Maybe he is just highly sarcastic. he said that the Eskimos fan base "cares a lot, like way too much" and made some other comments to that effect. As a supportive fan the comments felt critical of the fanbase, and after that, and Reilly being punted I stopped being a ticket buying fan. The org had gone back to not appreciating its fanbase.
f*** Ed Hervey. I still harbor resentment towards him for the way I was treated at a fan day nearly 20 years ago. Douchebag.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
f*** Ed Hervey. I still harbor resentment towards him for the way I was treated at a fan day nearly 20 years ago. Douchebag.

Almost anybody I know that has had contacts with Hervey describe him at best as difficult, some say impossible to work with. I don't blame the org for looking off of him at this point. While I respect his skills, now is not the time for him to be resurrected here.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Almost anybody I know that has had contacts with Hervey describe him at best as difficult, some say impossible to work with. I don't blame the org for looking off of him at this point. While I respect his skills, now is not the time for him to be resurrected here.

"Look off" him-- a good football term I guess.

Yes, I have similar concerns about him as I alluded to in my earlier post today.

One event stands out in my mind:

-The fiasco surrounding the Mic'up initiative by TSN. He fought like a tiger against this but didn't realize how important TSN is to the league. Without that t.v. deal the CFL would be long dead. The network was trying to come up with innovative ways to attract new fans and personally I enjoyed listening to what the players were saying on the field. But he got very snarly and defensive about it.

That's why you have to ask in an interview process whether you are open to new suggestions even if you don't always agree with them? Innovation is particularly important when you have 5k people in the stands.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't understand why people are so surprised by this. He always seemed like a difficult personality to work with. I'm assuming he burned some bridges within the EEFC while here also.
Yet they are willing to go after Jones who isn't exactly known to be loyal.

The guy is always looking for his next job

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Harris continuation in Montreal confirmed what a lousy QB he is in 2021. Sometime during the Covid era he got old as a QB. not that I liked him before. But it was the right thing for the Elks to unload him for what they coudl get. He's worth nothing now and with that contract won't be heard from again I expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad