Elks: Edmonton Elks: New name and logos. POLL

Edmonton ELks: Do you like new name for the team? Which is your favorite logo? Pick one of each.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I honestly have no idea what this team is, CFL i assume? But both of those logos are beautifull

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I'm not crazy about the name Elks - but then again I thought the original / former name sounded odd too.

But kudos to the designer(s) here - I think all the logos look fantastic. They've got a nice retro 70's feel without going overboard. The antler-logo helmet is my favourite aspect. Instantly recognizable.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I like the logo, but the name should have just been the Elk instead of Elks. It rolls off the tongue awkwardly imo

Yup, it’s like they didn’t bother to say it out loud before deciding

Reactions: dss97

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Pretty interesting so far. My poll is pretty much in line with other online polls on Twitter. Nearly 70 percent don't mind the name which is pretty impressive. Still 6 days to go.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I really like the helmets.

Elks-Helmet-e1622568031417.jpg
Helmet is pretty cool looking. Don't you just feel like peeling it off with that middle antler point just hanging over the vent on top? Guilty pleasure of some sort. :laugh:

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Okay with the name...in fact it helps recycle the old shirts ...just take a strip of yellow tape (in the form of an "l") and put it over the "s" in Esks. It reveals what this is all about ....$

Reactions: oilers'72

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I guess I'm the only one who dislikes the helmets. lol. For me it just feels wrong not to have an EE on the sides. That's my biggest gripe to be honest. I think the EE on the "gold" helmet is too iconic to mess with. I wouldn't feel right if Calgary didn't have that stupid horse on the side either. Not many franchises have such an iconic image to hold onto.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
If a high level NCAA team had the name "Elks", their fanbase would love it; I'll give it a chance like the Americans would

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I guess I'm the only one who dislikes the helmets. lol. For me it just feels wrong not to have an EE on the sides. That's my biggest gripe to be honest. I think the EE on the "gold" helmet is too iconic to mess with. I wouldn't feel right if Calgary didn't have that stupid horse on the side either. Not many franchises have such an iconic image to hold onto.
I listened to Dave Campbell and he said that they'll probably use it as a third helmet logo and that the double EE may be on the jersey somewhere. So the EE is not out completely.

Reactions: Samus44

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Pretty interesting so far. My poll is pretty much in line with other online polls on Twitter. Nearly 70 percent don't mind the name which is pretty impressive. Still 6 days to go.

For me I was just happy they didn't choose any of the truly terrible options. Most of them were god awful but I have to be honest and say I would have been really annoyed with the Eagles name. That would have been so f***ing dumb, at that point just call your self the Rough Riders since your stealing names of other teams. That would have been the kind of move a team in a second rate league makes. At least the Elks has some legit historical value and isn't dumb sounding or redundant. And no the "s" at the end doesn't bother me. I think phonetically it makes more sense and I'm guessing that's what the linguistic department at the UofA told them.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
For me I was just happy they didn't choose any of the truly terrible options. Most of them were god awful but I have to be honest and say I would have been really annoyed with the Eagles name. That would have been so f***ing dumb, at that point just call your self the Rough Riders since your stealing names of other teams. That would have been the kind of move a team in a second rate league makes. At least the Elks has some legit historical value and isn't dumb sounding or redundant. And no the "s" at the end doesn't bother me. I think phonetically it makes more sense and I'm guessing that's what the linguistic department at the UofA told them.
Glad you don't mind it. I was dead against it but I'm ok with it now. I think I'm more accepting to it because I like the design of the new logos plus the historical connection. If the logos blew, I probably would of been pretty upset about this. Let's just say I like the entire package. Yeah, no issue with ELKS and not ELK since it matches the 1922 name. People are still F**g going on about it on Twitter. That cesspool.

Reactions: Samus44

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Poll: Day 2 of 7 results/tally

Name:
OK , Like IT, Love IT = 83 votes
Dislike it, Hate it= 37 votes

Logos:
New Primary Logo = 40 votes
New Alternate Antler Football Logo= 15 votes
New EE logo = 12 votes

*Please remember to vote once for the name and once for the logo*

Will update the poll tomorrow evening once again. Thanks to everyone here for voting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If a high level NCAA team had the name "Elks", their fanbase would love it; I'll give it a chance like the Americans would

Did you see the logo on the field. Viewed from an angle it looks like a mess. Its not iconic in the slightest. To me it looks like cheesy dollar store stuff on a hat, but far worse on the field. That blob thing on the neck just looks bizarre on the field. It doesn't translate well on the pitch, and thats one of the factors that is supposed to be taken into account when designing such a logo, how will it work in all its applications.

The EE was iconic, a classic but effective simple design. Now on the scrap heat. We have this weird squiggle of an elk instead. I don't even mind the name, it was my first choice if it had to change. But the logo to me looks silly.

They should at least leave EE on the field. Looks much better.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I like the name, but the logos are a disappointment. They had a chance to really rebrand to something neat and they went so damn plain.

pretty amazed coming into the thread how many people like the logo. The logo is the worst to me. The name OK. I mean the neck, thing, and its gold. What? I don't get what is impressive about this. Is this line art just such a big thing now and I don't get it? Curious to the people that liked this logo what other logos to you like, sports or otherwise. Is there some connotation for this kind of line drawing I'm missing. maybe an artist back story on what they were projecting. I didn't see any of that in the presentation.

Maybe background and learning about it would be helpful. I wouldn't wear it, thats not happening.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So I just looked at the website, and can't find anything describing the logo design concept, artist, how it was done, what its going for. There is no information on who did the logo, their design elements description etc. Still trying to understand the design elements.

Some artist started a thread on reddit, has an imo slightly better drawing, same design but some changes. tapering lines adds some flare, I like that the ear curves up a bit. Still dislike the neck.

I like the name Edmonton Elks, but the logo felt a bit unfinished to me. So here's my take on it. : Edmonton (reddit.com)

Is there any info anywhere regarding the logo design?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Did you see the logo on the field. Viewed from an angle it looks like a mess. Its not iconic in the slightest. To me it looks like cheesy dollar store stuff on a hat, but far worse on the field. That blob thing on the neck just looks bizarre on the field. It doesn't translate well on the pitch, and thats one of the factors that is supposed to be taken into account when designing such a logo, how will it work in all its applications.

The EE was iconic, a classic but effective simple design. Now on the scrap heat. We have this weird squiggle of an elk instead. I don't even mind the name, it was my first choice if it had to change. But the logo to me looks silly.

They should at least leave EE on the field. Looks much better.

I'd like the football logo better on the field itself if using one of the new logos. The primary does look a bit off on the field.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
pretty amazed coming into the thread how many people like the logo. The logo is the worst to me. The name OK. I mean the neck, thing, and its gold. What? I don't get what is impressive about this. Is this line art just such a big thing now and I don't get it? Curious to the people that liked this logo what other logos to you like, sports or otherwise. Is there some connotation for this kind of line drawing I'm missing. maybe an artist back story on what they were projecting. I didn't see any of that in the presentation.

Maybe background and learning about it would be helpful. I wouldn't wear it, thats not happening.

The key will be how many that like the logo and were never fans before actually go to games now and become fans.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Agreed it looks like it’s for a landscaping company or something.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I like the helmets. If a new team was to come into the league and be named the Elks and have these helmets I think it would be really awesome. But I don’t like that we’re using them instead of the EE.

I think if the team formerly known as the Esks had an alternate helmet and had the antlers in on a black helmet that would look really cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad