Elks: Edmonton Elks: New name and logos. POLL

Edmonton ELks: Do you like new name for the team? Which is your favorite logo? Pick one of each.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
So I just looked at the website, and can't find anything describing the logo design concept, artist, how it was done, what its going for. There is no information on who did the logo, their design elements description etc. Still trying to understand the design elements.

Some artist started a thread on reddit, has an imo slightly better drawing, same design but some changes. tapering lines adds some flare, I like that the ear curves up a bit. Still dislike the neck.

I like the name Edmonton Elks, but the logo felt a bit unfinished to me. So here's my take on it. : Edmonton (reddit.com)

Is there any info anywhere regarding the logo design?
Don't have info on the design. I do like the redditor's design. I think the team's design can and probably will have subtle design refinements in the future. That bulge on the neck is suppose to be a football I guess. I could see that being slightly modified in the future with three laces (lines). Just minor changes here and there.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The key will be how many that like the logo and were never fans before actually go to games now and become fans.
Yeah, as we know on social media whenever there is poll feedback anywhere on this kind of social engineering people will like it and get all their friends, everybody they know to like it. So that you get new names on any poll. Seems like we know where the usual Eskimos fans here stand, and I'm not stopping using the name or wearing the jersey. Be sure to get comments on "boomer gear" like I said my jersey and the wifes already contain Grey Cup W signatures of much of the 2015 champs. good luck with that with the new gear. ;)

ps We'll know soon enough whether all these "they just got me as a fan because of the name change" are actually going to be buying tickets.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't have info on the design. I do like the redditor's design. I think the team's design can and probably will have subtle design refinements in the future. That bulge on the neck is suppose to be a football I guess. I could see that being slightly modified in the future with three laces (lines). Just minor changes here and there.

I would never guess thats a football. I know its a neck bulge but if they're trying to make that look like a football..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The key will be how many that like the logo and were never fans before actually go to games now and become fans.
According to Presson, "we want to attract the under 30 crowd as part of the so-called "lost generation of CFL and Edmonton fans". Apparently a new name and logo should be enough to bring them into the fold.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So I just looked at the website, and can't find anything describing the logo design concept, artist, how it was done, what its going for. There is no information on who did the logo, their design elements description etc. Still trying to understand the design elements.

Some artist started a thread on reddit, has an imo slightly better drawing, same design but some changes. tapering lines adds some flare, I like that the ear curves up a bit. Still dislike the neck.

I like the name Edmonton Elks, but the logo felt a bit unfinished to me. So here's my take on it. : Edmonton (reddit.com)

Is there any info anywhere regarding the logo design?
To me, the logo doesn't look like a team sport logo at all. Looks more like a corporate logo. As in "Elk Machines Ltd." or "Elk Insurance Brokers Inc"

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To me, the logo doesn't look like a team sport logo at all. Looks more like a corporate logo. As in "Elk Machines Ltd." or "Elk Insurance Brokers Inc"

I'm not really sure what all of it is supposed to represent, but for some reason I have really wanted to buy lawn fertilizer and contract a landscaper the last few days.....

I get the sense that it's more people wanting to like it than actually liking it. I can't possibly believe that if that logo was posted two months ago as a leak that people would have looked positively at that as something appropriate for a professional sports organization. A tidy roll out helps stem the tide of some of those opinions I think.

A quick google search brought me to this image, which I would take hands down over what they actually came up with IMO:

Edmonton-Elk-Twitter.jpg

It incorporates EE (the only purported reason that they had to use a name like "Elks" in the first place) and has a distinct sports retro vibe. The actual logo looks like it was kicked out by an intern with the newest version of graphic design software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Kelly

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
According to Presson, "we want to attract the under 30 crowd as part of the so-called "lost generation of CFL and Edmonton fans". Apparently a new name and logo should be enough to bring them into the fold.

Guess we should expect sellouts this year. Great to hear.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Poll: Day 3 of 7 results/tally

Name:
It's OK , Like IT, Love IT = 100 votes
Dislike it, Hate it= 43 votes

Logos:
New Primary Logo = 46 votes
New Alternate Antler Football Logo= 19 votes
New EE logo = 14 votes

*Please remember to vote once for the name and once for the logo*

Will update tomorrow evening once again. Thanks to everyone here for voting.:thumbu:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I still don’t get why they were hell bent on picking a name that started with an “E” only to scrap the double E logo anyway.
$$$

I believe Chris Presson had mentioned that the EE logo on helmets will still be used as a retro/third jersey. My guess is that the EE logo will be kept in some form as a tie in to the past. Also, it's so prevalent on everything (signs on the Rec Centre, in Commonwealth, at the store, in the office, on letterhead etc,) that a complete change over would be even more costly. I'd expect a gradual migration away from the EE logo over the next few years but suspect it will always be around in some form.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
$$$

I believe Chris Presson had mentioned that the EE logo on helmets will still be used as a retro/third jersey. My guess is that the EE logo will be kept in some form as a tie in to the past. Also, it's so prevalent on everything (signs on the Rec Centre, in Commonwealth, at the store, in the office, on letterhead etc,) that a complete change over would be even more costly. I'd expect a gradual migration away from the EE logo over the next few years but suspect it will always be around in some form.

Unintended pun?:D

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Wouldn't it be great if the season home opener had 30k plus in the stands? I want the team to get off on the right hoof.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Went to a rugby tournament 7 years ago in salt lake. All the bars had cfl games on and the most popular was the Eskimo’s. Quite enjoyable watching down there.
Where was that?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Dislike the name. Not even original which is the biggest failing. Also why did they have top restrict the new name to have an "E"? Not very creative. Team will always be the "Eskimos" to me.

Go Olds Elks or Milwaukee Bucks!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just occurred to me that the on field logo looks bizarre enough(not in a good way) to be connected with the first season of True Detective as a secret symbol. Or if you were some dark Appalachian backwoods and saw a bunch of these signs then run...gonna be hard to get this thought outta my brain lol

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Just occurred to me that the on field logo looks bizarre enough(not in a good way) to be connected with the first season of True Detective as a secret symbol. Or if you were some dark Appalachian backwoods and saw a bunch of these signs then run...gonna be hard to get this thought outta my brain lol
Haha.. Like the Blair Witch Project?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think there was a real missed opportunity here too embed EE in a set of two antlers in the logo.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Poll: Day 4 of 7 results/tally

Name:
It's OK , Like IT, Love IT = 108 votes
Dislike it, Hate it= 49 votes

Logos:
New Primary Logo = 49 votes
New Alternate Antler Football Logo= 19 votes
New EE logo = 14 votes

*Please remember to vote once for the name and once for the logo*

Will update tomorrow evening once again. Thanks to everyone here for voting.:thumbu:

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I always liked dinosaurs. We had lots of them in Alberta, back in the day. The Raptors name turned out well for Toronto. We could have honoured our ancient past by having one of these beloved creatures as our name and mascots.:D

The Edmonton Edmontosauruses!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad