Rumor: EDM, OTT, TOR, LA among interested in LHD Vladislav Gavrikov

tws38

May 15, 2020
I'd say he's actually made great strides towards being a reliable two-way center. He's been in our two-way-focused system in LA or Ontario for multiple years now, and he's trusted enough to be put out at the end of games to hold a lead. McClellan had him out for draws at the end of the game against the Oilers with a one-goal lead with less than 5 minutes to go. We all thought he might be moved to wing to use his speedy playmaker elements, but he's actually been awesome as a middle 6 center thus far with obvious room to grow.
Agreed.

To further prove the point, I would challenge anyone to come up with a player in the past 2 decades where a player has spent significant amount of time in the Kings organization that was not reliable 2-ways.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I wonder if a 3 way trade that involves

Horvat to CBJ
Gavirok to someone
and Vancouver getting younger assets works

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It's the top end. Sometimes they pull a 1st from a contender (with retention in recent years), but more often its a 2nd+. Only a handful of 1st rounders move ever year (3 to 5). Not every reliable top 4 defenseman is going to pull a 1st in return.

Dude Habs got an unprotected 1st in 2023 + b prospect for Ben Chiarot in 2022. Top 4 dmen are expensive even if they are just rentals.

Reactions: Toe Pick and Viqsi

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Holmberg is NHL ready and played 3c for Toronto against the penguins. He looked as good as he has at every other level. Projects to be a solid 3c like a David kampf with better offensive potential.
We'd gladly take him too then. 😉

Dude Habs got an unprotected 1st in 2023 + b prospect for Ben Chiarot in 2022. Top 4 dmen are expensive even if they are just rentals.
With maximum retention. That's a key part here too.

And it still doesn't change the fact that typically, there is one top 4 defenseman each year who gets traded for a first at the deadline. Maybe two. Is it possible that Gavrikov is that guy this year? Sure. But it isn’t a guarantee either when there are still guys like Chycrun and Klingberg available or even Edmundson as a non-rental. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's not a guarantee.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The problem with that assessment is that it ended up being a very bad trade. His value was also significantly inflated by the Hab's playoff run where he got a lot of credit for their success. It was also going to be a very late 1st in a weak draft year since Florida was sitting 2nd overall in the league when the trade was made.

The only other defenseman traded last year who got a 1st were Jones, Risto and Lindholm. (Thanks to Gabrielor for point out my error) This year the Habs got a first for Romanov but he is 22 years old.

Nick Leddy with 50% retained netted Sunqvist, Walman and a 2023 2nd

Kulak netted a 2nd, a 7th and Lagesson

Braun got a 3rd

Giordanno got 2 seconds and a third.

Josh Manson got a 2023 2nd and Helleson

It might be that CBJ won't deal Gavrikov for less than a 1st but it certainly not true that a 1st is the starting point for a top 4 rental with a relatively short record like Gavrikov has. He had a breakout year offensively last year but this year it is back to his normal pace. So what you are trading for is a second pairing rental defensive defenseman with some upside but a short resume.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The problem with that assessment is that it ended up being a very bad trade. His value was also significantly inflated by the Hab's playoff run where he got a lot of credit for their success. It was also going to be a very late 1st in a weak draft year since Florida was sitting 2nd overall in the league when the trade was made.

The only other defenseman traded last year who got a 1st was Jones. This year the Habs got a first for Romanov but he is 22 years old.

Braun got a 3rd

It might be that CBJ won't deal Gavrikov for less than a 1st but it certainly not true that a 1st is the starting point for a top 4 rental with a relatively short record like Gavrikov has. He had a breakout year offensively last year but this year it is back to his normal pace. So what you are trading for is a second pairing rental defensive defenseman with some upside but a short resume.
1668789592996.png

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

The only other defenseman traded last year who got a 1st were Jones, Risto and Lindholm. (Thanks to Gabrielor for point out my error) This year the Habs got a first for Romanov but he is 22 years old.

Braun got a 3rd

I just need to correct the 1st the Habs got is this year. Not 2022.

They got an unprotected 1st for 2023 at the 2022 deadline.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe he meant McLeod would be a good 6th center, looks nice in press box or AHL.
"That guy pushed that evaluation one step towards homerism. Harrumph! I'ma get 'em back by pushing MY evaluation THREE steps the other way!"

* * *​
I wonder if a 3 way trade that involves

Horvat to CBJ
Gavirok to someone
and Vancouver getting younger assets works
Arguably the biggest blocking issue for the Jackets is how much AAV Horvat wants on that extension. Going three-way doesn't really address that unless the "someone" is willing to retain on a newly signed contract... and even in that laughably unlikely scenario, I suspect the NHL would shut that down for cap circumvention.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And one which we've repeatedly pointed out the Jackets would not hesitate to do, but you seem to keep overlooking that.
Because its a bit lower cap hit so it isn't as important.

The piece that keeps being overlooked though, is that a 1st for a 2nd pair defenseman is the top end of the market, not the average.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

The piece that keeps being overlooked though, is that a 1st for a 2nd pair defenseman is the top end of the market, not the average.
Your likelihood assessment is noted. That doesn't change the asking price.

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
Could any CBJ fans give a quick scouting report on Gavrikovs game? Don't really get to watch many Jacket games.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Gavrikov is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. With Edmonton's defensive problems he's the type of players teams tend to overpay for to solve their problems. Edmonton is pretty desperate right now because McDavid and Draisaitl are getting older but the team isn't getting closer to become a contender like at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad