Rumor: EDM, OTT, TOR, LA among interested in LHD Vladislav Gavrikov

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If the Jackets got offered Sandin for a rental They'd take that and RUN
Fansplaining doesn't make your case any stronger.

Sandin is still primarily offense-oriented rather than two-way, and we've got a metric f***ton of those guys; replacing one of our few defensively capable guys for another one is a bad move for the Jackets considering our defensive woes. Indeed, the only reason there's talk about Gavrikov being moved at all is as a "just in case we can't extend him we want to recoup value" approach - so we'd be looking for a deadline rental 1st or similar, not roster players of the sort we already have too many of and can't move.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Gavrikov is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. With Edmonton's defensive problems he's the type of players teams tend to overpay for to solve their problems. Edmonton is pretty desperate right now because McDavid and Draisaitl are getting older but the team isn't getting closer to become a contender like at all.
Yeah everyone thinks Edmonton is going to Dubas their first rounders. Holland has shown he is in no rush to move them though. He trades later picks like candy.

If a reasonable extension could be part of the deal (3 or 4 years at a fair cap hit for a 2nd pair shutdown defensemen), then I would be more open to the idea of Edmonton trading their 1st for a defenseman. I'm in full agreement that we need one by the way.

Someone said he plays right side though. Is that right? If he plays right side and can't play left then that changes things a bit. We need a 2nd pair left shot guy. Our right is full with Ceci, Bouchard and Barrie.

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'd love the Oilers to acquire Gavrikov and Kuraly. The Oilers need help defensively and some added toughness. Kuraly is pretty expensive for a 4C though

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Yeah everyone thinks Edmonton is going to Dubas their first rounders. Holland has shown he is in no rush to move them though. He trades later picks like candy.

If a reasonable extension could be part of the deal (3 or 4 years at a fair cap hit for a 2nd pair shutdown defensemen), then I would be more open to the idea of Edmonton trading their 1st for a defenseman. I'm in full agreement that we need one by the way.

Someone said he plays right side though. Is that right? If he plays right side and can't play left then that changes things a bit. We need a 2nd pair left shot guy. Our right is full with Ceci, Bouchard and Barrie.

Holland is a doofus. I don't have much faith in him fixing anything. Hoarding first round picks when McDrai are in their primes and need major help

I also agree with not throwing them away for rentals but I m sure options are out there for players with some term

That first rounder and Broberg should be on the move for a key piece

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Gavrikov has only played LD in the NHL, just some occasional RD for Russia and maybe in the KHL.

I'd love the Oilers to acquire Gavrikov and Kuraly. The Oilers need help defensively and some added toughness. Kuraly is pretty expensive for a 4C though

Someone floated an offer of Gavrikov + Kuraly for Barrie + 1st + Pulju. Makes sense to me. The Jackets can give a shot to Barrie and JP and get the same 1st for Gav they'd get at the deadline anyways.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like Gavrikov. These functional defensive, rugged types on struggling teams usually produce some great overpays on the trade market.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
As a UFA, Ben Chiarot fetched the Canadiens a 1st + a prospect.

Rasmus Sandin alone is not landing the Leafs Gavrikov who is a RFA, younger, better overall player.

1st + Sandin would be my asking price if I'm the Jackets

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Holland is a doofus. I don't have much faith in him fixing anything. Hoarding first round picks when McDrai are in their primes and need major help

I also agree with not throwing them away for rentals but I m sure options are out there for players with some term

That first rounder and Broberg should be on the move for a key piece
Holland is a doofus, but the Oilers need a steady stream of cost controlled talent. That's the only way they can really add depth until the cap goes up.

Gavrikov has only played LD in the NHL, just some occasional RD for Russia and maybe in the KHL.

Someone floated an offer of Gavrikov + Kuraly for Barrie + 1st + Pulju. Makes sense to me. The Jackets can give a shot to Barrie and JP and get the same 1st for Gav they'd get at the deadline anyways.
We aren't trading Barrie. He is a key part of our powerplay. 1st and Pulujarvi for an extended Gavrikov should work though.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
The problem with that assessment is that it ended up being a very bad trade. His value was also significantly inflated by the Hab's playoff run where he got a lot of credit for their success. It was also going to be a very late 1st in a weak draft year since Florida was sitting 2nd overall in the league when the trade was made.

The only other defenseman traded last year who got a 1st were Jones, Risto and Lindholm. (Thanks to Gabrielor for point out my error) This year the Habs got a first for Romanov but he is 22 years old.

Nick Leddy with 50% retained netted Sunqvist, Walman and a 2023 2nd

Kulak netted a 2nd, a 7th and Lagesson

Braun got a 3rd

Giordanno got 2 seconds and a third.

Josh Manson got a 2023 2nd and Helleson

It might be that CBJ won't deal Gavrikov for less than a 1st but it certainly not true that a 1st is the starting point for a top 4 rental with a relatively short record like Gavrikov has. He had a breakout year offensively last year but this year it is back to his normal pace. So what you are trading for is a second pairing rental defensive defenseman with some upside but a short resume.
I always felt bad for Nick Leddy, Kings requested his name be on the 2014 cup win for his contribution and was denied.🤣

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Rasmus Sandin alone is not landing the Leafs Gavrikov who is a RFA, younger, better overall player.

Not sure if it’s just your formatting, but Sandin is 5 years younger than Gavrikov. A 22 year old former first round pick who has warts but is still quite young and has a solid future ahead of him.

Gavrikov didn’t even step into the NHL until he was two years older than Sandin is now.

Leafs aren’t sending him with a first round pick for Gavrikov. That doesn’t move the needle far enough to justify the spend.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not sure if it’s just your formatting, but Sandin is 5 years younger than Gavrikov. A 22 year old former first round pick who has warts but is still quite young and has a solid future ahead of him.

Gavrikov didn’t even step into the NHL until he was two years older than Sandin is now.

Leafs aren’t sending him with a first round pick for Gavrikov. That doesn’t move the needle far enough to justify the spend.

If the round player was picked in is so important for you you probably should look at Gudbranson, former 3rd overall. You'll even get a discount if you take him.

RD616

May 4, 2010

Sandin is the RFA and younger. Gavrikov is the UFA and older..

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Sandin is the RFA and younger. Gavrikov is the UFA and older..
Rasmus Sandin is 8th among defensemen in ice time per game on the Leafs. He is the only Leafs defender who has a negative plus/minus. If your own coach doesn't rate him much, it can be tough to expect him to have the same value as another teams nr. 2 who is skating well, physical and handling +22 minutes per game.

One is a project. The other is a player any team in the league could use in its top4. If Gavrikov wasn't an UFA to be on a bad team, he would not be available. If Sandin got lost on the way home from practice, few Leafs fans would notice.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Fansplaining doesn't make your case any stronger.

Sandin is still primarily offense-oriented rather than two-way, and we've got a metric f***ton of those guys; replacing one of our few defensively capable guys for another one is a bad move for the Jackets considering our defensive woes. Indeed, the only reason there's talk about Gavrikov being moved at all is as a "just in case we can't extend him we want to recoup value" approach - so we'd be looking for a deadline rental 1st or similar, not roster players of the sort we already have too many of and can't move.

He's also significantly younger, cheaper, higher upside etc.

So yes If Toronto offered Sandin for a rental Columbus would take it and RUN.

before you or anyone else says something along the lines of "Great then keep Sandin."

That is EXACTLY what they should do especially for a rental.

You seem to think, and as far as I can tell have for years that unless your team gets EXACTLY what it needs that there is no no deal to be made.

What you either don't understand or refuse to accept is that, that's not how it works, it's never been how it works especially when trading a rental.

Trading a rental means get what you can it doesn't mean you get EXACTLY what you need you don't.

Trading a rental means taking the best deal and If Sandin was on the table he would be without question the best deal.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
He's also significantly younger, cheaper, higher upside etc.

So yes If Toronto offered Sandin for a rental Columbus would take it and RUN.

before you or anyone else says something along the lines of "Great then keep Sandin."

That is EXACTLY what they should do especially for a rental.

You seem to think, and as far as I can tell have for years that unless your team gets EXACTLY what it needs that there is no no deal to be made.

What you either don't understand or refuse to accept is that, that's not how it works, it's never been how it works especially when trading a rental.

Trading a rental means get what you can it doesn't mean you get EXACTLY what you need you don't.

Trading a rental means taking the best deal and If Sandin was on the table he would be without question the best deal.
No, it isnt how it works. They arent trading a solid NHL D for Sandin. Any team that wants Gavrikov can beat that by offering a player who actually can play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad