Rumor: EDM, OTT, TOR, LA among interested in LHD Vladislav Gavrikov

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Holmberg, like in the post I quoted.
Holmberg is playing 3c in the NHL tonight, so youre incorrect.
A 3 game call up as a 3C is a lot different than saying he is a 3C. One implies he’s already made it.
Which is why I said he's playing 3c in the NHL tonight.

I swear, this isnt that difficult or deep. There been something in the Oilers fans water today?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The best player on the table by a long shot is Kempe. Not sure why CBJ would just outright reject. Yeh you want/need a C, but a legit Top 6 winger with elite speed and grit in his game is nothing to dismiss. Having watched Kempe in the playoffs against the Oilers I’d take him in a heartbeat for a rental D like Gavrikov.

I swear, this isnt that difficult or deep. There been something in the Oilers fans water today?

You’re making a semantics type argument. Let’s not waste each others time. Holmberg is not an established NHL 3C period. And yes, I know he’s slotting in as a 3C tonight.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
The best player on the table by a long shot is Kempe. Not sure why CBJ would just outright reject. Yeh you want/need a C, but a legit Top 6 winger with elite speed and grit in his game is nothing to dismiss. Having watched Kempe in the playoffs against the Oilers I’d take him in a heartbeat for a rental D like Gavrikov.

You’re making a semantics type argument. Let’s not waste each others time. Holmberg is not an established NHL 3C period. And yes, I know he’s slotting in as a 3C tonight.
What argument do you believe I'm making?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We just gave away Bjorkstrand practically for free. That should tell you something about the team's interest in wingers right now.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

The only way to get established is to play and play well. Holmberg has been very good at every level and his first NHL game was strong. Thats all that's being said.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We just gave away Bjorkstrand practically for free. That should tell you something about the team's interest in wingers right now.
I see that, Bjorkstrand was undersold IMO due to flat cap reasons and the arrival of Gaudreaus cap. But value wise Gav for Kempe favours CBJ. Even if you don’t hold onto Kempe, I bet it’d be easier shopping Kempe for a top 6C than it would shopping Gavrikov. So maybe you don’t get the C in one trade but you’ve increased the asset value to help to maybe find that C in the future.

What argument do you believe I'm making?
Playing 3C tonight = he’s a 3C

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Yep that’s why I said twice, he’s an AHLer playing in NHL game . Didn’t think Needed to spell it out for you, didn’t think it was that deep or difficult tbh.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I’m sure Jarmos scouting will amount to more than checking hockeydb and pretending as if he knows the player.

Youre right, since anybody doing that would likely compare him to another 3c in the NHL tonight, Pontus Holmberg.

Playing 3C tonight = he’s a 3C
I see why youre confused now, you lost the conversation at some point. I was agreeing with you that just "checking hockeydb" would lead people to think hes as valuable as another person whos playing 3c tonight.

Im not saying Pontus is a 3c or that hes equal value to Mcleod but if you looked at just their hockey profiles, you wouldnt see a whole lot of separation except a full season as a sub 30 point player.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
That would be preferred if possible, but, well, it seems like everybody has a lot of depth wingers and a desire for defensive improvement nowadays.

Well you are at the right place.
Our weakest prospect position is winger.

If you would have something in the 19-23 year range available, we have lot's of center to give.
I would even do a top 3 prospect for top 3 prospect.
Something along the lines Marchenko for Turcotte

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I see that, Bjorkstrand was undersold IMO due to flat cap reasons and the arrival of Gaudreaus cap. But value wise Gav for Kempe favours CBJ. Even if you don’t hold onto Kempe, I bet it’d be easier shopping Kempe for a top 6C than it would shopping Gavrikov. So maybe you don’t get the C in one trade but you’ve increased the asset value to help to maybe find that C in the future.
Wingers aren't fetching much on the market right now and haven't for some time. Couple that with what usually comes about in "flip him for what you really want" scenarios and, well, it ends up being not worth it regardless.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well you are at the right place.
Our weakest prospect position is winger.

If you would have something in the 19-23 year range available, we have lot's of center to give.
I would even do a top 3 prospect for top 3 prospect.
Something along the lines Marchenko for Turcotte
Folks have actually been talking about proposals very much like that on HFCBJ, so that's probably plausible. I'm probably the wrong person to talk to, tho, because I look at Turcotte, see "out with concussion", and fear. Even moreso with Byfield. :)

Reactions: Kurrilino

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wingers aren't fetching much on the market right now and haven't for some time. Couple that with what usually comes about in "flip him for what you really want" scenarios and, well, it ends up being not worth it regardless.

Wingers got squeezed the most in flat cap I agree. Flipping him is a risky scenario also so I understand where your coming from. But I just think 4 years of Kempe at a reasonable Cap still far outweighs the value of a rental Gavrikov, that you can’t really go wrong if you can fit him in. Eventually once flat cap era is over (could be as soon as next year) you guys would be laughing.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I could see Kupari garnering interest from Columbus. He's looked excellent this year, he'd join Jarmo's Finnish contingent, he's got size and speed, and he's skilled enough to play in the top 6. It would be tough to let him go, but Byfield will be back soon and I could see Kupari blossoming in CBJ.

Reactions: funky

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wingers got squeezed the most in flat cap I agree. Flipping him is a risky scenario also so I understand where your coming from. But I just think 4 years of Kempe at a reasonable Cap still far outweighs the value of a rental Gavrikov, that you can’t really go wrong if you can fit him in. Eventually once flat cap era is over (could be as soon as next year) you guys would be laughing.
I think even if we do keep him he'd be caught in a numbers game, frankly. :dunno:

* * *​
I could see Kupari garnering interest from Columbus. He's looked excellent this year, he'd join Jarmo's Finnish contingent, he's got size and speed, and he's skilled enough to play in the top 6. It would be tough to let him go, but Byfield will be back soon and I could see Kupari blossoming in CBJ.
The impression I've gotten of Kupari so far is that he's more "speed playmaker" and less "reliable two-way". We really badly need the latter; the former is pretty well covered already.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Of course, but it is going to be difficult to solve the Jackets problems with one deal, and the teams looking for a solid, sizeable defensemen are likely to shoring up for a run and probably won't have the kinds of two-way pivots you need in return.

The player the Kings have that might best suit your needs is Rasmus Kupari. The hope here is that Kupari could be shifted to RW to exploit his speed and powerful stride, but he prefers and just simply plays better up the middle. The Kings would need to send salary back, and the areas they have in abundance are puck moving RHDs and top 6 wingers, none of which seem to meet the gaps that other posters indicate need to be filled.

I suggested Kempe as he has been a center/wing tweener who found 30 goal form as a winger with Kopitar. The acquisition of Fiala with the emergence of Vilardi and Kaliyev, not to mention Moore and Arvidsson on the Kings best line, leaves them in the position of having a quality, immediate asset of a top 6 winger to deal for their most pressing need - a defensively solid top 4 LHD. May not fit in this particular deal, but its the kind of trade the Kings will be looking to make.
I don't think we're trying to solve anything with Gavrikov.

If he wants to re-sign. Perfect. If not, move him for a first and address a need in the draft and sign somebody in the off-season.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't think we're trying to solve anything with Gavrikov.

If he wants to re-sign. Perfect. If not, move him for a first and address a need in the draft and sign somebody in the off-season.
Yep. This. It's not a "he's expendable for patch purposes" scenario, it's "if we can't keep him, recoup value at the deadline".

Reactions: CBJx614

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
The impression I've gotten of Kupari so far is that he's more "speed playmaker" and less "reliable two-way". We really badly need the latter; the former is pretty well covered already.
I'd say he's actually made great strides towards being a reliable two-way center. He's been in our two-way-focused system in LA or Ontario for multiple years now, and he's trusted enough to be put out at the end of games to hold a lead. McClellan had him out for draws at the end of the game against the Oilers with a one-goal lead with less than 5 minutes to go. We all thought he might be moved to wing to use his speedy playmaker elements, but he's actually been awesome as a middle 6 center thus far with obvious room to grow.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Folks have actually been talking about proposals very much like that on HFCBJ, so that's probably plausible. I'm probably the wrong person to talk to, tho, because I look at Turcotte, see "out with concussion", and fear. Even moreso with Byfield. :)
Let's try this folks :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad