Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Connor McDavid (8 years, $12.5M AAV)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
the funny thing about it is that every team that has won the cup in the last 8 years have had one of these players on their team?

It's a superstar's league for sure but there are only a very few real superstars. McDavid is one for sure though. But teams with non-superstars getting the big bucks get drowned.

Ok, not drowned. But it's not good for them.

But a team like the islanders will be compelled to pay Tavares huge money. And probably that should be avoided. He's excellent but not a superstar.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Agreed, they shouldn't pay that much for a 2nd season Art Ross/Hart trophy winner after his first ever playoffs were underwhelming. :sarcasm:

Some people...

It's not just that it was underwhelming... it was how. What I'm saying is the playoff formula is out on him. That's why I feel he needs to improve his grind game and other aspects.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If everyone on your team takes 5% less, that's a big difference. The 750k alone is nothing, but if it encourages Draisatl and others to take less it matters.

LOL, do you think Draisaitl and his camp fell for the leak of $13.25 like the fans did? somehow the McDavid camp got a lot of people thinking $100 million is a bargain and the kid with 127 nhl games took a haircut so he could remain in the city he absolute loves and help his team to multiple cups. :shakehead

How gullible are fans? A real haircut would be to take less than the top players that actually won a cup for their fans and owners before demanding 20% more than them. :amazed:

If Draisaitl's camp thought he was worth $7.5m a week ago nothing has changed because of this phony haircut. If anything it may have gone up because of Connors contract and Kuznetsov's didn't help either. Chia should have looked after Leon first.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It's a superstar's league for sure but there are only a very few real superstars. McDavid is one for sure though. But teams with non-superstars getting the big bucks get drowned.

Ok, not drowned. But it's not good for them.

But a team like the islanders will be compelled to pay Tavares huge money. And probably that should be avoided. He's excellent but not a superstar.

I would say double digits is stretching it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You own a crystal ball? Oiler fans said the same thing when Eberle/RNH were handed big $$ on their second contracts...how's that looking now?

Paying these kids ridiculous amounts of money before they prove anything is beyond stupid and as every year goes by it gets worst.

Youngest captain in history leads a team that has been at the bottom for a decade into the playoffs. Wins the Art Ross, Hart, and Lindsay in his second season when he entered it still as a teenager proves a hell of a lot.

Then there's the old fashion eye test, he's just better than everyone else. Small sample size, but the two games against the Pens he was head and shoulders the most dominant player on the ice. Sullivan had to move Crosby away from him in the first game because he was getting destroyed by McDavid.

Other cases, sure. Too much too soon for little Johnny Hobbit, he was terrible at the beginning of the year after the new deal.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
McDavid is worth every single penny. I don't care what other fan bases say but 30/30 other GMs would have given him AT LEAST that 8 years / 100 M deal. Or they take risk he leaves someday and said GM looks stupid AF.
So happy and looking forward for next 9 seasons with my captain. :nod:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
A guy taking a shave off a $100+ million contract is a wee bit different from some working joe living off $50-75k per year having to take a pay cut.

And that's the problem. It isn't really. It's a 6% pay cut either way. So it's not a shave for one person and a burden for another. We don't really equate it like that because none of us will ever make 100 million, so it's hard for us to understand. But 6% is 6%, it's the same 'share' for both individuals.

The average Joe also doesn't spend like someone who is making 100 million. It's a different type of lifestyle. They haven't dedicated their life to one thing and one thing only with no real fall back option, and generally isn't one working injury away from unemployment.

In its most basic sense, what you're advocating is that the rich should give to the poor, simply because they 'have more', ignoring the work, sacrifice, and risks the 'rich took to get there.

member 157595

You own a crystal ball? Oiler fans said the same thing when Eberle/RNH were handed big $$ on their second contracts...how's that looking now?

Paying these kids ridiculous amounts of money before they prove anything is beyond stupid and as every year goes by it gets worst.

Before they prove anything? He's won the Art Ross, Lindsay and ****ing Hart trophies before his 21st birthday! :help:

Look, I get that you hate the Oilers (I'm not an Oilers fan, FWIW), but pretend McDavid's wearing a Flames sweater for a second. Would you regret this contract?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
LOL, do you think Draisaitl and his camp fell for the leak of $13.25 like the fans did? somehow the McDavid camp got a lot of people thinking $100 million is a bargain and the kid with 127 nhl games took a haircut so he could remain in the city he absolute loves and help his team to multiple cups. :shakehead

How gullible are fans? A real haircut would be to take less than the top players that actually won a cup for their fans and owners before demanding 20% more than them. :amazed:

If Draisaitl's camp thought he was worth $7.5m a week ago nothing has changed because of this phony haircut. If anything it may have gone up because of Connors contract and Kuznetsov's didn't help either. Chia should have looked after Leon first.

McDavid is in a class of his own. There's no comparison between him and Draisaitl, and McDavid's contract should have no bearing on what Draisaitl gets.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
McDavid is worth every single penny. I don't care what other fan bases say but 30/30 other GMs would have given him AT LEAST that 8 years / 100 M deal. Or they take risk he leaves someday and said GM looks stupid AF.

I was hoping he would RFA and Leafs could offer him 20 mill. ahaha. Then play with AHL players for next 7 years

This guy is a beyond generational in my opinion. He's not only the face of the Oilers but possibly of the new NHL for years to come

It's almost unreal how good this kid is. I know there are some people who's going to bring up playoffs but I think they forget this is still a team sport. Considering this is his first playoffs, he did really well

I still hate the Oilers though. F you Mctavish. Even as a Leafs fan, I am super jealous of this kid.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Before they prove anything? He's won the Art Ross, Lindsay and ****ing Hart trophies before his 21st birthday! :help:

Look, I get that you hate the Oilers (I'm not an Oilers fan, FWIW), but pretend McDavid's wearing a Flames sweater for a second. Would you regret this contract?
Too bad you didn't read what I was answering :shakehead I was talking about Draisaitl.
I see around $8.5 million per seeing that his numbers are only going to get better.

Hey, if you're happy as a fan with this cap hit who am I to argue :laugh:

Just don't call it a haircut or hometown discount deal because it isn't.
McDavid is in a class of his own. There's no comparison between him and Draisaitl, and McDavid's contract should have no bearing on what Draisaitl gets.
Thanks for agreeing with me, one thing though. Draisaitl crushed McDavid in the playoffs and you can bet his agent is pointing that out.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Too bad you didn't read what I was answering :shakehead I was talking about Draisaitl.

Hey, if you're happy as a fan with this cap hit who am I to argue :laugh:

Just don't call it a haircut or hometown discount deal because it isn't.

He could have demanded league maximum. Somebody would likely have offered him that in an offer sheet next summer if he didn't sign an extension. So in that sense it is.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville

I agree with this. There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't pay this much if not more for his services. That alone shows the value of a player like this to a team and it goes further than just his play on the ice.

Also if Crosby was UFA right now he could command this much if not more. The contract he is on now was signed years ago. Top notch talent will get paid more every year as will about every player generally speaking. Should Ryan Johanson make about as much as Crosby does? No but he will likely get that kind of money before the season starts.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
And that's the problem. It isn't really. It's a 6% pay cut either way. So it's not a shave for one person and a burden for another. We don't really equate it like that because none of us will ever make 100 million, so it's hard for us to understand. But 6% is 6%, it's the same 'share' for both individuals.

The average Joe also doesn't spend like someone who is making 100 million. It's a different type of lifestyle. They haven't dedicated their life to one thing and one thing only with no real fall back option, and generally isn't one working injury away from unemployment.

In its most basic sense, what you're advocating is that the rich should give to the poor, simply because they 'have more', ignoring the work, sacrifice, and risks the 'rich took to get there.

At the risk of getting off topic a little bit there's a fundamental error here in this logic in that you haven't factored in the basic cost of living expense line. That makes the difference between % of disposable income vs % of total income.

Say for easy math's sake you need 25k a year to have a minimum basic standard quality of life. An average joe making 50k a year losing 6% ($3,000) is actually losing 12% of his disposable income compared to McDavid losing 6% off his 100M which is probably 6.1% of his disposable income. That's even before you factor in taxes and such because that 6% loss means less to McDavid since he pays higher taxes. It's not at all the same thing.

Going back to hockey though I will agree that there is a risk premium that hockey players get paid and SHOULD get paid because of the injury risk and the fact that they have to plan to survive life after their hockey career which ends just as most people are taking off in their careers. For most of the top players in this league though that's not an issue if they invest wisely.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014

No leak of any kind needed. If McDavid wanted to, he would/could take 5 years/14 million. He also could have waited until end of next year. If Oilers did not budge he would get 30 offer sheets.

He gave the Oilers a 1.5 Million discount and a 8 Year contract.

Come on man, we all saw the Gaudreau=McDavid post last year but have you not grown since then?

EDIT:
NM you are the OTHER great Flames poster lol

Last edited:

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
It's not just that it was underwhelming... it was how. What I'm saying is the playoff formula is out on him. That's why I feel he needs to improve his grind game and other aspects.

He will improve those aspects of his game ... he is 20. If anything, he now has the book on the playoffs, and knows exactly what he needs to improve. Look out next year when he does. He will bring something entirely unexpected. This kid didn't become what he is by staying stagnant when facing adversity. He is where he is because he knows how to adapt.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013

So if he doesnt win a cup is this money worth it?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
y347iPG.jpg

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Worth every penny. I would pay him 15M$/year without hesitation to play in Montreal.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He could have really used that ivory back scratcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad