Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Connor McDavid (8 years, $12.5M AAV)

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
Get back to me when he wins league MVP in his second year. Oops too late for that.
McDavid is a tier above EK my friend.

This is bad logic in my opinion. Comparing the career path of a defenseman and forward is a bad start. Further, career development is different for every player. Andrew Raycroft won the Calder and Tuukka Rask didn't. How'd that work out for them long-term?

I'm an Oilers fan and I recognize that the players who have the most impact in a game include Karlsson, Crosby, and McDavid in no particular order. An argument can be made that Karlsson is more valuable/better.

Anidalife

Nov 16, 2007
This is bad logic in my opinion. Comparing the career path of a defenseman and forward is a bad start. Further, career development is different for every player. Andrew Raycroft won the Calder and Tuukka Rask didn't. How'd that work out for them long-term?

I'm an Oilers fan and I recognize that the players who have the most impact in a game include Karlsson, Crosby, and McDavid in no particular order. An argument can be made that Karlsson is more valuable/better.

As a sens fan who watched a bunch of oilers games this season due to McDavid, I absolutely think he is better than Karlsson skill wise. Where Karlsson has the advantage is the position he plays and the ice time he gets. Karlsson plays about 40% more per game and he's basically solely responsible for creating the breakout every time he is on the ice. So there is an argument Karlsson is more valuable to a team, but it's debatable.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
To give some perspective to the amount, Jagr made $10.4M in 1999 and $11M in 2002. It's taken this many years for the top players to get back to that level of salary. Toews @ 10.5M in 2015... Crosby minus cheater years over 10.4M???... now McDavid will finally be the highest on record 16 years later.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To give some perspective to the amount, Jagr made $10.4M in 1999 and $11M in 2002. It's taken this many years for the top players to get back to that level of salary. Toews @ 10.5M in 2015... Crosby minus cheater years over 10.4M???... now McDavid will finally be the highest on record 16 years later.

Thanks for that, I was wondering what the top contract pre-salary cap was.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Karlsson doesn't bring fans out of their seats like McDavid does - he'd have to fill them first. :laugh:
After the last 10 years in Edmonton a chimpanzee on skates would get a rise, you do realize every team has a player that bring fans out of their seats right? But it's a fine line, the real trick is for that particular player not to become a whipping boy down the road. Remember, Hall and Eberle also brought fans from their seats not too long ago. while not the same level of players they also didn't take up $12.5m in cap space either.

JohnKordicsGhost

Jul 1, 2013
whiners, most of you. He's the best player in the league, will probably be the best player in the league for a long time. You pay the guy what he's worth, and he got it.

This is no different then ovie's last contract.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
After the last 10 years in Edmonton a chimpanzee on skates would get a rise, you do realize every team has a player that bring fans out of their seats right? But it's a fine line, the real trick is for that particular player not to become a whipping boy down the road. Remember, Hall and Eberle also brought fans from their seats not too long ago. while not the same level of players they also didn't take up $12.5m in cap space either.

You mean like how Gaudreau was a whipping boy last year?

Get outta here shelbyville.

Little brother syndrome at its finest. Deal with it, the Flames will always be second fiddle to the Oilers. Always have and always will.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011

Little brother syndrome at its finest. Deal with it, the Flames will always be second fiddle to the Oilers. Always have and always will.

Wow. That's some strong kool aid, my friend. After a decade of licking the bottoms of EVERYONE'S boots, and barely sneaking into the second round of the playoffs, you have the gall to be that arrogant. No wonder everyone hates the Shelbyville Oilers (Calgary is Springfield, btw).

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Wow. That's some strong kool aid, my friend. After a decade of licking the bottoms of EVERYONE'S boots, and barely sneaking into the second round of the playoffs, you have the gall to be that arrogant. No wonder everyone hates the Shelbyville Oilers (Calgary is Springfield, btw).
Winning in six games is barely sneaking into the second round? Did the Flames barely get swept too?

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013

hmmm

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014

Do not care if anyone hates us. Since we joined the league no one has won more cups.

The Flames have always been irrelevant. Shelbyville is Calgary, everyone knows the inferiority complex you guys have. You guys even have your own forum where you bash the Oilers and McDavid all day, it is pathetic and little brother syndrome. I think it stems from not being the Capital. You guys have been and always will be second fiddle.

Get Swept again.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Do not care if anyone hates us. Since we joined the league no one has won more cups.

The Flames have always been irrelevant. Shelbyville is Calgary, everyone knows the inferiority complex you guys have. You guys even have your own forum where you bash the Oilers and McDavid all day, it is pathetic and little brother syndrome. I think it stems from not being the Capital. You guys have been and always will be second fiddle.

Get Swept again.

As a neutral party (I don't live in either city and enjoy visiting both), I have to say that there is not completely untrue.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

wouldn't that imply that Calgary is more successful

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003

Lol, second fiddle my arse, for about 20 years I've been betting Cal/Edm head to head and I'm up huge $$$. I even got lucky last year as one of my sucker Oiler fans got laid off and couldn't bet his normal $50 a game.

Nobody cares about your cups 25-30 years ago, It amazes me how fans of the worst team in sports history over a 10 year period can get all high on themselves over one playoff birth. :popcorn:

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Lol, second fiddle my arse, for about 20 years I've been betting Cal/Edm head to head and I'm up huge $$$. I even got lucky last year as one of my sucker Oiler fans got laid off and couldn't bet his normal $50 a game.

Nobody cares about your cups 25-30 years ago, It amazes me how fans of the worst team in sports history over a 10 year period can get all high on themselves over one playoff birth. :popcorn:

It takes a special level of cognizant dissociation to tell someone to get over something that happened in the past and then immediately begin bragging about things that have also happened in the past.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
You're Sheblyville Edm is capital city https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Ulgtvx-NA

yep.

calgary is clearly shelbyville.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad