Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Connor McDavid (8 years, $12.5M AAV)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Nah you just give it to him, but IMO the Oilers will have trouble having a Stanley cup winning lineup if they give up too much money for Draisaitl then, and their other wingers / defensemen. Well, all the teams with a 10M+ cap hit contract are suffering from that fact. Was just pointing out that, although McDavid is worth that much money, it makes negociating with Drai very hard because Drai has also very good stats, and that is what is gonna cripple the Oilers in the long run. IMO McDavid is more or less equal to a young Crosby but Drai ain't close to a young Malkin, and that is the problem, signing Drai to a 10M contract like he's gonna ask will cripple the Oilers's future.

the funny thing about it is that every team that has won the cup in the last 8 years have had one of these players on their team?

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
What a huge discount. This is going to be the stuff of legends. McDavid agreed to take 5-6% less to ensure his teammates get paid.

Leadership, folks. We are seeing it first hand here.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
What a huge discount. This is going to be the stuff of legends. McDavid agreed to take 5-6% less to ensure his teammates get paid.

Your still going on about this, your thread already got locked up.. 750k can go a long way in a salary cap world, get over it

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is more on why Mcdavid left money on the table as written by Puck Daddy of Yahoo sports.

Connor McDavid felt guilty, took less on massive new Oilers contract
Greg Wyshynski,Puck Daddy 23 hours ago

The term was never at issue.

“Connor has been unwavering in his commitment to the Oilers for the maximum of eight years. Connor didn’t stray from that. Neither did we,” said GM Peter Chiarelli.

The money was obviously flexible. TSN’s Bob McKenzie heard that McDavid wasn’t comfortable with the initial salary cap hit, which spawned a cottage industry of stories about how the percentage of the cap he’d devour would adversely impact the ability of the Oilers to build a winning team.

So apparently, McDavid agreed to take about $750,000 less annually. Which isn’t a lot, but is the kind of wiggle room you need to build a championship or keep it together.

“Part of this partnership, as I called it, is building a team. Connor was emphatic, as was I, to keep this team competition,” said Chiarelli. The number arrived at was through much of productive discussion. Looking at the future, looking at rosters. It was a number that Connor and his people were comfortable with.”

How does McDavid feel about leaving money on the table?

“It really doesn’t matter how we got to this number or term or anything,” he said.

Of course, by taking an eight-year contract, he might have left money on the table regardless. “This might be one of the largest contracts in the history of the NHL, but I assure that it could have been higher and it could have been shorter in term,” said Chiarelli.

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/connor-...ss-massive-new-oilers-contract-201252512.html

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
the funny thing about it is that every team that has won the cup in the last 8 years have had one of these players on their team?

For Chicago or LA it wasn't the case nor for the Bs, the only team is Pitts but they arguably had the 2 best centers in the world. I believe Toews and Kane signed after their 2nd cup run and LA never had a 10M player nor the Bs for that matter. Correct me if I'm wrong though I'm too lazy to fact check.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Do we even know what their asking price was? I know they "settled" on 13.25m and McDavid wanted it lowered but what number did they start at? Probably league max, which is a bit more then a 5% discount

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Early success plays into things like this. Winning a series and almost winning a second one and the team playing well despite McDavid not lighting it up is an incentive that the team is trending in the right direction.

If the oilers had missed the playoffs and fallen on their face this year this may not have turned out as well for them overall.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Lol he felt guilty leaving 750k

That's like feeling guilty after eating a nice porterhouse and leaving the fat on the plate....

Since you seem to feel that taking a 6% paycut , when you dont have to, isn't a big deal, I'll give your work your co workers bank routing information and they'll deposit it in their accounts.

The dude took less money than he is worth. Just because he's making the most, doesn't mean he's the only one that has to sacrifice.

Last edited:

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
and then won cups after the fact with their new contracts

Who did? Kopitar, Kane, and Toews have yet to win after signing their deals, and Crosby and Malkin come in under 10. Price has yet to even get close to winning and his cap hit won't even come in until next year. Can't think of any others.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Since you seem to feel that taking a 6% paycut , when you dont have to, isn't a big deal, I'll give your work your co workers bank routing information and they'll deposit it in their accounts.

The dude took less money than he is worth. Just because he's making the most, doesn't mean he's the only one that has to sacrifice.

A guy taking a shave off a $100+ million contract is a wee bit different from some working joe living off $50-75k per year having to take a pay cut.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I see around $8.5 million per seeing that his numbers are only going to get better.
You own a crystal ball? Oiler fans said the same thing when Eberle/RNH were handed big $$ on their second contracts...how's that looking now?

Paying these kids ridiculous amounts of money before they prove anything is beyond stupid and as every year goes by it gets worst.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
If everyone on your team takes 5% less, that's a big difference. The 750k alone is nothing, but if it encourages Draisatl and others to take less it matters.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
I'm just saying... a few playoff games I did catch... I couldn't even tell if he was playing... hopefully (for oilers fans) he adds more dynamics to his game and doesn't rely on the neutral zone so much. The playoffs are where it matters and so far he hasn't exactly been a world beater.

Agreed, they shouldn't pay that much for a 2nd season Art Ross/Hart trophy winner after his first ever playoffs were underwhelming. :sarcasm:

Some people...

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017

Lmfao, this guy is still upset.
He should have taken a 6x6 deal tbh. More in line with the other Oilers fowards.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I would not sign that Mcdavid contract at that high of a price. Dude is on the cover of an EA sports game. Has no one heard of the curse??? :help:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
There's a term limit on contracts? Yeesh. Salary cap is gross but wow, they even have a limit on years a guy can sign for? Ridonkulous. I bet even the KHL doesn't have that and they're in Russia!!

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
A guy taking a shave off a $100+ million contract is a wee bit different from some working joe living off $50-75k per year having to take a pay cut.

yeah haha all this stuff i expect from other people doesn't apply to me because reasons haha. i mean sure 7 billion people on the planet would kill for 50k a year but it's not like im comparatively rich and don't realize it or anything lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad