Proposal: EDM - NSH

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’m not really a fan of Carrier… he has some good games but overall I think the Preds have overused him and he more realistically tops out as a 3rd pair guy. If I could get a 1st back in a deal for him I’d be all over that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Brutal OP.

1st, conditional 2nd to go from Ceci to a rental Carrier?

Now I see why some on the HFOil say you’re not an actual fan.

I don't give AF about board lurkers who say I'm not a fan. 99% of those don't have the balls to post their own proposals. Last time someone accused me of that I checked all of their posts that were proposals. They had one in 5 years.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't give AF about board lurkers who say I'm not a fan. 99% of those don't have the balls to post their own proposals. Last time someone accused me of that I checked all of their posts that were proposals. They had one in 5 years.
Remember that there are several types of posters on HF.

1 type is fans like you that come up with ideas and discuss them. Ideally the people that reply are like you and provide their own ideas. And then you have a conversation about hockey.

Another type of fan is the one that contributes absolutely nothing to hockey discussion and spend all day telling everyone their ideas are stupid. However they have no ideas of their own. They just know everyone else's ideas are stupid and are quick to tell them. Try and avoid them. Ignore is a nice feature.

Third type is the fans that just want to talk about other posters. They also contribute nothing to actual hockey conversations.lol

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

1 type is fans like you that come up with ideas and discuss them. Ideally the people that reply are like you and provide their own ideas. And then you have a conversation about hockey.

Another type of fan is the one that contributes absolutely nothing to hockey discussion and spend all day telling everyone their ideas are stupid. However they have no ideas of their own. They just know everyone else's ideas are stupid and are quick to tell them. Try and avoid them. Ignore is a nice feature.

Third type is the fans that just want to talk about other posters. They also contribute nothing to actual hockey conversations.lol

Hell I know I don't often hit on the trade proposals I make. I think I've come really close once in the time I've been here to an actual trade that happened. I do like the trade boards because I learn something about players on teams I don't follow.

eg: Nashville fans are telling me my proposal is too rich for Carrier. That's cool. I appreciate that.

I don't learn anything on the Oilers board. Just a lot of noise for the most part.

Reactions: GOilers88

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This proposal doesn’t take into account that Holland almost never traded a 1st for a rental. If he bucked that trend it’s going to be for a difference maker not a bottom half player like Carrier.

A Sissons + Fabbro/Carrier probably gets the 1st on the table as part of the deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This proposal doesn’t take into account that Holland almost never traded a 1st for a rental. If he bucked that trend it’s going to be for a difference maker not a bottom half player like Carrier.

A Sissons + Fabbro/Carrier probably gets the 1st on the table as part of the deal.

True. good point.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

This is a false dilemma fallacy. Their are lots of different types of posters.

The OP could have listened to the feedback and changed it to a 2nd rounder. Instead he doubled downed and basically said that he's a better fan because even if his proposal sucks he at leasts posts his ideas.

Here's another thought that would help improve the quality of trade proposals on here - don't just post every thought that comes in your head. Maybe put more thought into it and listen to others.

Don't post dumb stuff if you don't want to get called out.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hell I know I don't often hit on the trade proposals I make. I think I've come really close once in the time I've been here to an actual trade that happened. I do like the trade boards because I learn something about players on teams I don't follow.

eg: Nashville fans are telling me my proposal is too rich for Carrier. That's cool. I appreciate that.

I don't learn anything on the Oilers board. Just a lot of noise for the most part.
Some really great posters with awesome knowledge on the oilers board. However... Lot of noise drowns them out.

I originally thought this was Ceci straight up for carrier. And I was thinking not bad. Then I realized we were also giving a first and I didn't like it.

Carrier is definitely a guy we should target but he's not worth first to me. Also, I want to keep Ceci. He is miscast and that isn't his fault. His salary is very good and he can help us win.

I'm currently on the Tanev wagon.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I probably should have kept that last thought to myself aka I know I should have. Debate the post, not the poster. Apologies. I do know better. For the record though I wouldn't want to even swap out Ceci for Carrier. When considering the full proposal as posted you are openly inviting responses of this nature. Right or wrong. I mean, you have the biggest Oilers troll/hater here in full agreement, telling, very telling...no?

Back to your post and claim though, you said Carrier plays heavy mins, which isn't true as he averages 18 mins a game. Nashville's heavy lifters on D are Josi and McDonagh. Even Tyson Barrie plays more than Carrier. Carrier's literally had 1 good season, a pending UFA, sub 6ft under 180lb D without any real offensive game to speak of. I can't for the life of me understand what you're seeing here with him.

Moving away from the player, Holland doesn't believe in paying 1st rounders for rentals. Could fairly confidently say if he was to change course it wouldn't be on a Carrier level player and he certainly wouldn't be adding a conditional 2nd on top. You have us switching out Ceci who's easily capable of playing 18mins a game, he averages 20 for the most sideways pointless premise I've read here in awhile at a substantial cost of a 1st rounder. Even after that you included a conditional 2nd rounder.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
I like carrier but he isn't worth a 1st. He'd have a similar return to kulak.
Ceci also has value, reports are a couple teams wanted him from edmonton over the summer but oilers decided to keep him because they couldn't find an upgrade.

I like carrier though. based off the analytics he seems good. Haven't watched him much though

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I probably should have kept that last thought to myself aka I know I should have. Debate the post, not the poster. Apologies. I do know better. For the record though I wouldn't want to even swap out Ceci for Carrier. When considering the full proposal as posted you are openly inviting responses of this nature. Right or wrong. I mean, you have the biggest Oilers troll/hater here in full agreement, telling, very telling...no?

Back to your post and claim though, you said Carrier plays heavy mins, which isn't true as he averages 18 mins a game. Nashville's heavy lifters on D are Josi and McDonagh. Even Tyson Barrie plays more than Carrier. Carrier's literally had 1 good season, a pending UFA, sub 6ft under 180lb D without any real offensive game to speak of. I can't for the life of me understand what you're seeing here with him.

Moving away from the player, Holland doesn't believe in paying 1st rounders for rentals. Could fairly confidently say if he was to change course it wouldn't be on a Carrier level player and he certainly wouldn't be adding a conditional 2nd on top. You have us switching out Ceci who's easily capable of playing 18mins a game, he averages 20 for the most sideways pointless premise I've read here in awhile at a substantial cost of a 1st rounder. Even after that you included a conditional 2nd rounder.
Barrie hasn't even been playing for most of the season so no he does not play more than Carrier.

Reactions: Soundgarden

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I like carrier but he isn't worth a 1st. He'd have a similar return to kulak.
Ceci also has value, reports are a couple teams wanted him from edmonton over the summer but oilers decided to keep him because they couldn't find an upgrade.

I like carrier though. based off the analytics he seems good. Haven't watched him much though
Yeah I was surprised because it seems like Carrier has pretty good underlying numbers. I always viewed him as more of an offensive guy but he seems to be more well rounded then I thought.

I’d be curious to here Preds fans opinions between Carrier and Fabbro and which one of them would fit better with a guy like Nurse who plays a ton of minutes but can have some chaos in his game at times.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I’d be willing to give any Dman a chance in Coffey’s system for the right price.

Fabbro would be a solid add.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Barrie hasn't even been playing for most of the season so no he does not play more than Carrier.

Barrie's played 32 games averaging 18:19 even with being a D you've sat as a healthy scratch and made not only available said the player could look for a deal.

Carrier's played 46 games averaging 18:08.

I'm not claiming Barrie is better or more valuable to the Preds. I was doing a minutes played vs example within the same Preds lineup. My point still stands, Carrier isn't a heavy mins player that the OP claimed.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This is a false dilemma fallacy. Their are lots of different types of posters.

The OP could have listened to the feedback and changed it to a 2nd rounder. Instead he doubled downed and basically said that he's a better fan because even if his proposal sucks he at leasts posts his ideas.

Here's another thought that would help improve the quality of trade proposals on here - don't just post every thought that comes in your head. Maybe put more thought into it and listen to others.

Don't post dumb stuff if you don't want to get called out.

I don't mind the comments on the proposal. If it's an overpayment for Carrier, okay.

I typically don't edit proposals after the fact. Would I prefer the Oilers move a 2nd and Ceci? Hell yes I would.

As for the last part, I actually did put a lot of thought in Carrier to the Oilers. Yesterday, after I posted that trade, Frank Seravalli published an article on the Athletic talking about Carrier. Johnathon Willis retweeted the article today and agreed he should be a target for the Oilers. So maybe, I dunno, don't dump on every proposal when you don't know what you're talking about?

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don't mind the comments on the proposal. If it's an overpayment for Carrier, okay.

I typically don't edit proposals after the fact. Would I prefer the Oilers move a 2nd and Ceci? Hell yes I would.

As for the last part, I actually did put a lot of thought in Carrier to the Oilers. Yesterday, after I posted that trade, Frank Seravalli published an article on the Athletic talking about Carrier. Johnathon Willis retweeted the article today and agreed he should be a target for the Oilers. So maybe, I dunno, don't dump on every proposal when you don't know what you're talking about?

I appreciate all of that. Carrier isn't one of my top targets but I can see why other fans would be interested. I'm not dumping on the player or the idea of acquiring him. I just dont know what other trade would suggest that a pending UFA like Carrier would warrant a 1st round pick let alone add to that.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Barrie's played 32 games averaging 18:19 even with being a D you've sat as a healthy scratch and made not only available said the player could look for a deal.

Carrier's played 46 games averaging 18:08.

I'm not claiming Barrie is better or more valuable to the Preds. I was doing a minutes played vs example within the same Preds lineup. My point still stands, Carrier isn't a heavy mins player that the OP claimed.
He's the 3rd highest on the team of guys that play every day and not to mention if you look at game stats that will often push as high as 20 minutes. He's our #3 so yeah of course he isn't getting as many minutes as McDonagh or Josi.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I appreciate all of that. Carrier isn't one of my top targets but I can see why other fans would be interested. I'm not dumping on the player or the idea of acquiring him. I just dont know what other trade would suggest that a pending UFA like Carrier would warrant a 1st round pick let alone add to that.

If Monahan can garner a 1st, it throws all of my trade ideas into a blender. I don't know what the hell players are going to go for at the deadline.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Well if you spent time on the Oilers board you would have learned that this an extreme overpay for Carrier. So there’s that. Oh and about a month or two ago so you wouldn’t have thought this was some unique idea that only Frank and you had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad