Proposal: EDM - NSH

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:edmonton

Alexander Carrier (RHD, 27, pending UFA $2.5 Million AAV)

:nashville

Cody Ceci (RHD, 30, One more year after this season @ $3.25 Million AAV)
Oilers 1st 2024
4th round 2025 Conditional pick TBD, if the Oilers make the WCF pick moves up to 2nd round (or something like that, worth talking about)

Carrier is a little under sized but plays heavy minutes for the Preds. He is an upgrade over Ceci. Oilers gain a little cap space to.

Preds get a RHD in return with a short contract and a couple of decent picks.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Definitely would be worth considering from the Nashville side.

I have zero clue what Trotz is looking to do with Fabbro and Carrier and I don't think anyone else does either.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Definitely would be worth considering from the Nashville side.

I have zero clue what Trotz is looking to do with Fabbro and Carrier and I don't think anyone else does either.

I like that Carrier, despite his small size, plays a lot against elite opponents.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think getting retention on Carrier would help the Oilers a lot if they can increase the value a bit, even if they dont use up that cap space, it reduces the bonus overages onto next year.

If the Oilers clear enough cap space but DON'T land a top 6 winger they could eat the Brown signing bonus this year and not get bit by it next year.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Despite the protestations of HF, Ceci could return an asset on his own. The OP proposal doesn't return any value for him, so send him out in a separate deal to get back a pick/prospect to either fill the cupboards or use as trade capital.

This all assumes that Carrier is an upgrade that warrants sending out a 1st +.

Reactions: Homesick

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I have a couple issues:

1) Holland doesn’t trade 1sts for UFAs.

2) I think it’s debateable if Carrier is much better than Ceci at all, let alone that much.

3) And so, if they’re trading a 1st, I’d like them to aim higher.

I think Carrier would be a fine addition at the right price, but I don’t think that’s the right price.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm living in crazy world here where the Oilers have to pay a 1st round pick to dump Ceci at the same time where Philadelphia is asking for a 1st for Walker.

If it costs you a 1st to trade Ceci, you just keep him. Hes a decent defenceman, we are only moving him because we want to upgrade.
It’s not a 1st to trade him, he’s just an asset with little to no value outside of Edmonton fans

Ceci is the kind of guy you would want as a limited bottom pair/#7 guy on a team with contender aspirations

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If the Oilers clear enough cap space but DON'T land a top 6 winger they could eat the Brown signing bonus this year and not get bit by it next year.
Have they accumulated enough through the year though? I don't think it's a matter of just having the space on the day that it's paid out it's about having a crude enough just like Trading

I could be wrong

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It’s not a 1st to trade him, he’s just an asset with little to no value outside of Edmonton fans

Ceci is the kind of guy you would want as a limited bottom pair/#7 guy on a team with contender aspirations
I know it'll be an unpopular opinion for pretty much everyone except our board, but I think he is a damn fine bottom pairing anchor who can absolutely play on the second pairing if needed. The fact that he's survived on a top pairing in Edmonton for so long is a good indicator that he can play, but he's in a role way over his head here. I think he gets a lot of undue hate here because of how he was in Ottawa, but he's honestly been just fine as a middle pairing guy for the Oilers, those silly charts be damned.

I also say this as someone who was less than thrilled about his signing to begin with, but I appreciate what he brings and acknowledge he's also being put in the worst position possible by the Oilers and is keeping his head above water for the most part.

One could argue he's overpaid for where I think he should realistically slot in, and I won't disagree. But I don't think it's by a lot given what he's actually had to do here. Different story on another team.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I know it'll be an unpopular opinion for pretty much everyone except our board, but I think he is a damn fine bottom pairing anchor who can absolutely play on the second pairing if needed. The fact that he's survived on a top pairing in Edmonton for so long is a good indicator that he can play, but he's in a role way over his head here. I think he gets a lot of undue hate here because of how he was in Ottawa, but he's honestly been just fine as a middle pairing guy for the Oilers, those silly charts be damned.

I also say this as someone who was less than thrilled about his signing to begin with, but I appreciate what he brings and acknowledge he's also being put in the worst position possible by the Oilers and is keeping his head above water for the most part.

One could argue he's overpaid for where I think he should realistically slot in, and I won't disagree. But I don't think it's by a lot given what he's actually had to do here. Different story on another team.
Fair assessment

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think Carrier is worth a 1st. 2nd and some B or C asset yes, but 1st is too steep for half a year of a guy who would be a good #5 on EDM.
Except in this case part of it is to also take Ceci. I get that he may not be a true dump in the sense, but for us he absolutely is. He provides no real value yet we need to pay him the following season.

Also as we've learned with Barrie planning on later assets out of a guy at the trade deadline is not a guarantee.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad