Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] G Jack Campbell signs with the Oilers (5 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
He's an upgrade over Koskinen, that's all that matters... Feel bad for Skinner though as this more or less means he won't be a starter for Edmonton any time soon
You'll see Skinner. Campbell will likely need to be treated as 50-55 game starter. I see quality in Campbell, but not workhorse starter numbers.

And that should be just fine for Skinner.

I think you've got a very good situation on your hands in Edmonton.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Campbell is a solid goalie if he can stay healthy.

Imagine appreciating a broken down Matt Murray over him, jebus
Matt Murray is a 2 year deal, samsonov 1 (who has more upside than both Murray and Campbell btw). Flexibility is worth something in today’s NHL. Imagine being locked into a Jack Campbell for 5 years based of 1 year as a starter, btw he’s has multiple injuries in his career that kept him out as well.

Matt Murray was on the Sens last year, let’s at least wait till he plays on a 100+ team

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would have preferred a healthy Mike Smith at 2.2M but this is a surer bet to stay healthy all year so the Oilers don’t have a slump.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Happy for Campbell. He deserves the security. Great guy, really put of good numbers in Toronto. Now has a chance to help the Oilers go for the Cup. They are all in. 5M for a quality Goalie these days with scarcity on the market is a win for the Oilers.

• Love
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Can't say I'm a fan of this...

Last year was his first as a full-time starter in the NHL, and he really struggled in the second half of the season. He's never started 50 regular season games in the NHL. He's 30 years old.

5 years seems like a real risk for a 30 year-old with no record of being able to handle the starting goalie job for a full season.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
47 starts was a career high at the age of 30. This is as unremarkable as it gets. I guess he’s better than Mike Smith but if that’s your barometer for goaltending, ouch.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Loved Jack, good person, great team mate. The five years would terrify me. His highs are unreal, but his lows are terrible, and he gets hurt quite a bit. Has been solid in both playoff runs though for what that is worth. All the best, but that's a gamble.

Reactions: Metal God

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I'm glad to see Campbell cash in.
Even though he's a headcase and probably continues to struggle with consistency he's an awesome person and deserves the money just for persevering to hang onto an NHL career.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Loved Jack, good person, great team mate. The five years would terrify me. His highs are unreal, but his lows are terrible, and he gets hurt quite a bit. Has been solid in both playoff runs though for what that is worth. All the best, but that's a gamble.
The oilers have a young goalie that hopefully can platoon with him.

I don't think the Oilers are expecting 320 starts plus playoffs over the 5 years.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
yeah it must of felt weird for them to get out of the 1st round
The fact that the Oilers have been a lot more successful than the Leafs in the playoffs (but at this point, what team hasn’t?) really doesn’t have anything to do with my point, which is that Holland seems borderline obsessed with Leafs players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad