PTO: [EDM] F Jake Virtanen signs PTO with the Oilers (released)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The post I quoted suggested he would get 20 points playing with McDrai. Not bottom six. A lot of garbage AHL players could do better than 20 points with those two guys.
Fair enough. Obviously I didn't read the previous post.

It's not impossible that Virtanen like others in the past could find success on one of the skill lines. But this PTO is clearly Holland trying to find some free depth in our bottom six. Doubtful that anyone is expecting much more than the 20 points we expected out of a guy like Archibald. If he learns how to PK, bonus.

Whole lot of nothing when it comes down to it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
EhVALcJX0AEIKr0.jpg

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He has shown he's 10x the player Shore or Benson or the other fringe guys are at the NHL level. One training camp doesn't change that especially given him tumultuous last year or two.

The org is willing to give him time to get back up to speed because if he does, he's a valuable option in our bottom 6. It's as simple as that. First round picks with skill get all the leeway in the world. His pass to Foegele shows he has great skill, he just doesn't have the legs right now. A month in the AHL could do him well, and benefit our team long term.
Benson clowned him during camp. Virtanen has been useless and Benson had his chance shot down by injury. He had a really good camp. Don't know how you could have watched these games and came away thinking Virtanen outperformed him.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The irony is that she didn’t say no, but I get the joke.

If oilers do sign him it’s a 2 way deal. No way his side tries to bargain for a one way.
Likely with Benson out long term he probably gets 2 way league minimum

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Benson clowned him during camp. Virtanen has been useless and Benson had his chance shot down by injury. He had a really good camp. Don't know how you could have watched these games and came away thinking Virtanen outperformed him.
It's almost as though you didn't read my post at all.

I specifically make a point of mentioning Virtanen DIDN'T outperform him at camp. Learn to read brother.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's almost as though you didn't read my post at all.

I specifically make a point of mentioning Virtanen DIDN'T outperform him at camp. Learn to read brother.
I mean, you didn't. At all.

But okay.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
he did less than nothing in the preseason-shocked he was around for as long as he was
I think he stayed around because we played a lot of preseason games and needed to ice a line up with x amount of experienced players and woodcroft kept our vets out for a while.

He didn't have a serious chance of making the team, especially after his showings in the games he played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad