PTO: [EDM] F Jake Virtanen signs PTO with the Oilers (released)

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
As an oilers fan, i dont care if hes signed or not. The oilers demolished the flames last year and they are way worse this year, thats what matters. the pacific is ours and theres a good chance the stanley cup is as well
I am an oilers fan, i just wonder how are they way worse this year? But nevertheless with Markstrom in net, i still think the oilers can beat the flames in the playoffs.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
he just never had the drive to be a full time nhler. he got gifted a spot on the canucks way to early in his home town and was meh. one time ray ferraro compared him to Yannick hansen and the fanbase was enraged but in the end he never even ended up being close to as good as hansen.

what's next? shl ahl?

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Kind of stunned he hung around this long, I really didn't see much there. Maybe he catches on with an AHL team or something.

I've seen 48 year old accountants at drop-in shinny take things more seriously than he was
Or Vancouver area realtors in a beer league scrum...

Reactions: Boeser Fan

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
Thanks for the laugh. I really needed that today.

As an oilers fan, i dont care if hes signed or not. The oilers demolished the flames last year and they are way worse this year, thats what matters. the pacific is ours and theres a good chance the stanley cup is as well
There's a life lesson here. Can you spot it? Answer after the Oiler-Aid wears off.

~Fellow Oilers fan.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Back to topic, very disappointed that he decided to not to give a **** in his PTO offer, i expected much better effort from him.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
wrong as always
He made it to the final hour, really wasn’t that far fetched. Luckily Holland did the right thing

Stream was bad. But I still think your lying.
Yup, because I have anything to gain about what people who were at the game were saying 🤣. I would just stick to worrying about Kuzmenko busting some more if I was you :laugh:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Don't worry Oiler fans. There will be plenty of room to sign more miscreants after the names from 2018 start dropping.
Meh if the oilers keep going for undervalued players thats fine with me . People change, a second chance at a discounted rate is smart for a team In a less desirable location.

Reactions: Wretched Oil

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Jake Virtanen and Olli Juolevi are examples of Jim Benning's sure fire brain trust in those picks. Virtanen was a local boy prototype power forward which he never developed into, all he cared about was partying it up and living the NHL life of play hard, party hard.

Juolevi pick was terrible to begin with, guy was injured and never seemed to care about having a hockey career.

Whomever picks up OBC member Jim Benning, please let him go back to scouting.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I suspect a few fans are wiping the sweat from their brow saying "Phew... we dodged a bullet there and saying goodbye good riddance."

Reactions: Traveled

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In fairness, the Canes didn't fire Bill Peters.. they let him quietly resign and kept his misconduct hidden.
Nah. Dundon came in, did player interviews himself and decided that he didn't want Peters any longer. It was pretty obvious. I don't care about what prior management did.

Yet Calgary decided to then hire him.

You're missing the point though. Any team's fans calling out other teams for taking on "suspect" players or coaches is silly. All teams do it. If a guy can play or a coach can coach, teams will be ok even if they aren't model citizens

Reactions: PuckG

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nah. Dundon came in, did player interviews himself and decided that he didn't want Peters any longer. It was pretty obvious. I don't care about what prior management did.

Yet Calgary decided to then hire him.

Your missing the point though. Any team calling out other teams for taking on "suspect" players or coaches is silly. All teams do it.
As far as the Flames knew there was nothing "suspect" at all about Peters. The Canes kept quiet about him when Calgary expressed interest in him. Also, there is nothing "suspect" about Virtanen. If I had a daughter I wouldn't let him get within 100 yds of her. He won his court case but all that proves is that the prosecutor was unable to prove that he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Sexual assault charges are notoriously difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad