PTO: [EDM] F Jake Virtanen signs PTO with the Oilers (released)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You're smart
His comment was 100% valid. The oilers have done so before. Totally over value players who have a bit of success with mcdavid.

Did you somehow forget what we (the Oilers) just has to give up to get rid of Kassian?

As for Virtanen, the guy was on a pto and has done exactly nothing at all in ex games. If he gets signed Holland is back at his stupid low end of the roster moves.

Zero justification for this guy being around.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
His comment was 100% valid. The oilers have done so before. Totally over value players who have a bit of success with mcdavid.

Did you somehow forget what we (the Oilers) just has to give up to get rid of Kassian?

As for Virtanen, the guy was on a pto and has done exactly nothing at all in ex games. If he gets signed Holland is back at his stupid low end of the roster moves.

Zero justification for this guy being around.

“Done exactly nothing at all” is not an accurate statement.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Based on effort and accomplishment this preseason:
Drai
McD
Holloway
Kane
Hyman
Nuge
Yamamoto
Foegele
McLeod
Ryan
Pulju
Shore
Benson
Malone
Virtanen
Bourgault

But when you factor in talent... damn... it's gonna come down to the wire unfortunately. I really wouldn't keep him, but you could easily see them slotting him into that top 12.

And if the Oilers have a trade of a forward up their sleeve (as some have suggested they do), then he's a near certainty, unless said trade has a forward coming back.

Holland has a big decision to make and I'm hoping he sends a message to the team... effort matters above all else. Keeping Virtanen would be a big step back for a team that's trying to establish that message.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Based on effort and accomplishment this preseason:
Drai
McD
Holloway
Kane
Hyman
Nuge
Yamamoto
Foegele
McLeod
Ryan
Pulju
Shore
Benson
Malone
Virtanen
Bourgault

But when you factor in talent... damn... it's gonna come down to the wire unfortunately. I really wouldn't keep him, but you could easily see them slotting him into that top 12.

And if the Oilers have a trade of a forward up their sleeve (as some have suggested they do), then he's a near certainty, unless said trade has a forward coming back.

Holland has a big decision to make and I'm hoping he sends a message to the team... effort matters above all else. Keeping Virtanen would be a big step back for a team that's trying to establish that message.
At this point, I'm just hoping that if they sign him, its for league minimum, and they send him to the AHL to earn his way back up before they gift him a spot. He clearly hasn't been in the top 13, so he shouldn't get a spot.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If they do sign him it will be to play in the minors to start. Unless he does something crazy these next couple of games. Holland made it pretty clear what he was looking for out of him and he hasn’t delivered.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I get the feeling that some Oilers fans are slowly becoming resigned to the expectation that Virtanen will play for the Oilers this year.... whether they like it or not or he deserves it or not.

Reactions: Spawn

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
At this point, I'm just hoping that if they sign him, its for league minimum, and they send him to the AHL to earn his way back up before they gift him a spot. He clearly hasn't been in the top 13, so he shouldn't get a spot.

Agree... that would be better. Some Kassian repentment treatment.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I get the feeling that some Oilers fans are slowly becoming resigned to the expectation that Virtanen will play for the Oilers this year.... whether they like it or not or he deserves it or not.
He has shown he's 10x the player Shore or Benson or the other fringe guys are at the NHL level. One training camp doesn't change that especially given him tumultuous last year or two.

The org is willing to give him time to get back up to speed because if he does, he's a valuable option in our bottom 6. It's as simple as that. First round picks with skill get all the leeway in the world. His pass to Foegele shows he has great skill, he just doesn't have the legs right now. A month in the AHL could do him well, and benefit our team long term.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This would be a sneaky good signing if it happens.
I could easily see Jake cracking 20 points if he plays with McDrai all year and gets second unit PP time.
He's not getting anywhere near McDrai. The Oilers have depth now, and Hyman has shifted to RW. If he signs - and I hope to god he doesn't because he's been terrible - its as 4th line/AHL fodder.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He has shown he's 10x the player Shore or Benson or the other fringe guys are at the NHL level. One training camp doesn't change that especially given him tumultuous last year or two.

The org is willing to give him time to get back up to speed because if he does, he's a valuable option in our bottom 6. It's as simple as that. First round picks with skill get all the leeway in the world. His pass to Foegele shows he has great skill, he just doesn't have the legs right now. A month in the AHL could do him well, and benefit our team long term.
When you are on a PTO it should.

This would be a sneaky good signing if it happens.
I could easily see Jake cracking 20 points if he plays with McDrai all year and gets second unit PP time.
20 points playing with McDrai would be horrible stats.

Reactions: PBandJ

Beef Cake

Aug 10, 2016
Smartest thing the oilers could do is give him 2x750k and place him on waivers and get him into the AHL for a year. Literally zero risk, get him out of the spotlight, no way he gets claimed. Let him re-develop his game and grind it out and earn an NHL call up and next year you've got him on a contract year

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When you are on a PTO it should.

20 points playing with McDrai would be horrible stats.
When you're on a PTO as a bottom six option it's probably better to show you're not a meat head. A bad penalty stands out a lot more than a goal in a meaningless game.

You're talking about a guy that you expect 15-25 points out of over an 82 game season. That part of the roster requires 'safe' players.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
When you're on a PTO as a bottom six option is probably better to show your not a meat head. A bad penalty stands out a lot more than a goal in a meaningless game.

You're talking about a guy that you expect 15-25 points out of over an 82 game season. That part of the roster requires 'safe' players.
The post I quoted suggested he would get 20 points playing with McDrai. Not bottom six. A lot of garbage AHL players could do better than 20 points with those two guys.

Reactions: belair

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
He have not done anything significant so far but one year, two way deal, at league minimum would not be in the cringe territory.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
You are correct. An assist against an ahl roster certainly is something.
I mean, he could follow the newly brought in leader down South and at least take Kaner and the boys to a stripclub. Oh wait, that is only during the playoffs.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Benson (who was playing very well this pre-season) got hurt which probably helps Virtanen's odds of squeaking on to roster. TBH I don't really care if he gets a job in Edmonton or not. Even if he signs, he's probably getting a 2 way contract. If he decides to be a dough head in the dressing room, he can be sent down and buried in the AHL. It's a situation without consequences regardless of the outcome. I just don't see the big reason why everyone is so worried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad