Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CBJ] Oilers Acquire Nikita Nikitin for CBJ 5th '14; Sign to 2-Year $4.5M per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
It's a two year contract guys. It doesn't matter how much they pay him, there's no way the Oilers will be able to spend to the cap even if they wanted to.

There's going to be better deals on July 1st for some other teams, but the fact is that the majority of quality free agents won't even consider coming to Edmonton. Nikitin seems like a good defenceman, he's always put up decent numbers, and he's young enough that he could still improve a bit. I'm not seeing the downside, I'm just seeing a lot of people getting caught up on a number.

This isn't like signing Belov or Grebeshkov and expecting them to play top-4. This is a guy that's had good stats over the last three NHL seasons, he's a legitimate NHLer. This is an improvement, overpay or not.

Anytime someone posts in this thread, the post above should be copied and pasted. This basically hits the nail on the head.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I like it.

It's not two years, and we have the money.

He isn't great, but he's a much better option that rushing one of our rookies. By the end of his deal, Marincin, Klefa, Nurse, and all of those guys will be ready to be full time NHLers.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Wore #6 with CBJ as far as I know.

He did, but unless Joenssu is moved, he won't be wearing that here (though Lander gave up his number to Perron, so it's possible).

He wore 64 in St.Louis, so he won't be getting that either unless Yakupov switches to 10.

He's worn 4 for Russia in the past. Definitely not getting that here.

Looking at that, I'm guessing 4, 6, or any combination of the two are his numbers. So my guess is he'll chose #46

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
So what's the deal with this whole, 'scratched in favour of Nick Schultz' stuff?

I'm sure there's more to it than that. . . can anyone who follows the Jackets fill me in on the circumstances?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
He did, but unless Joenssu is moved, he won't be wearing that here (though Lander gave up his number to Perron, so it's possible).

He wore 64 in St.Louis, so he won't be getting that either unless Yakupov switches to 10.

He's worn 4 for Russia in the past. Definitely not getting that here.

Looking at that, I'm guessing 4, 6, or any combination of the two are his numbers. So my guess is he'll chose #46

I completely forgot that Joensuu existed. :laugh:

I assumed we'd moved on from him already.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This. If a mediocre 3rd pairing defender can get way the hell overpaid, why should Schultz, Petry take a hometown discount? Re-signing those guys just got a lot more difficult.

It's just one more overpay for a lower-tier player for a team with a history of paying lower-tier guys too much money. It was stupid when Tambellini did it for Barker, it's stupid when MacT does it for Nikitin.

Meh. Is there a possibility that maybe Shultz and Petry WANT to play here?

Probably. I'm sure they will sign reasonable deals.

Did Nikitin WANT to come to the Oilers? Probably not.

The money he's getting really has nothing at all to do with typical negotiations. He could have easily tested out the market as a UFA, but decided to come to this team for some strange reason.

Oh, I know why.

Because they paid him too.

That's most likely the only reason he signed here. It certainly wasn't for Stanley Cup glory or the all encompassing feeling of being welcomed with open arms by the masses in Edmonton.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Meh. Is there a possibility that maybe Shultz and Petry WANT to play here?

Probably. I'm sure they will sign reasonable deals.

Did Nikitin WANT to come to the Oilers? Probably not.

The money he's getting really has nothing at all to do with typical negotiations. He could have easily tested out the market as a UFA, but decided to come to this team for some strange reason.

Oh, I know why.

Because they paid him too.

That's most likely the only reason he signed here. It certainly wasn't for Stanley Cup glory or the all encompassing feeling of being welcomed with open arms by the masses in Edmonton.

I bet it was the DVD.

That thing never fails.

:sarcasm:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Anytime someone posts in this thread, the post above should be copied and pasted. This basically hits the nail on the head.

While I agree with what you quoted there is so much more to this situation that makes it bleak.

-Signing Petry and Schultz becomes tougher/more costly.

-Mac T's "strategy" from only 2 weeks ago has been scrapped completely and his overall "we are not going to overpay for a middle pairing D-man"/"we will go with youth if we have to" gets tossed out the window and then some.

-We are keeping Hemsky cause we love him... Traded.

-We love Gagner part of our core...We might end up moving Gagner cause he is not part of our core... Doesn't look like that is happening, maybe we will move him to the wing instead... ahead of Yak...

-We love Bucky and Smith we are keeping them... Gone.

How can anyone have faith in a guy that publicly states one thing and completely does the exact opposite so often? To me that makes it look like he has no idea what he is doing.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Agreed, it is a fail if another move doesn't happen. There is an acknowledged need to bring in a top pairing guy and Nikitin ain't it.

He is a decent pickup as a second pairing guy. Tentatively a good signing, but it can't really be judged until other moves are made. The team has four D signed right now: Nikitin/Ference/Marincin and Klefbom. So more has to happen.

Okay, we all know this. Well guess what, you can't acquire one unless you massively overpay. You basically have to force another teams hand with such an overpayment for a #1 dman. Hall would get the conversation started...but only started. While Hall should be enough in a 1 for 1 swap, you have to add to make the other team want to do the deal. Equal value isn't good enough.

I keep saying this, "what is it you think the Oilers should/could do?"
Eberle, Klefbom/Marincin, 1st probably isn't going to get it done. Switch Eberle with Hall and teams may listen.

Other than that, you can't just produce one out of thin air. *****ing about not having one does nothing. You have to either fundamentally change the makeup of the team in a trade for one, or draft one.
Once every 5 years one will come up in FA and you can bid over $100 million on them, but even then, there will be better destinations offering the same, less or even more money...doesn't matter.

For those who are saying MacT sucks for not addressing the need of a number 1 dman, I ask you again...what is he supposed to do? realistically...

If you don't have an answer, stop *****ing. So unbecoming.

I get there are disillusioned fans due to record breaking ineptness...it sucks. Stay classy. Know that we have a little ways to go and get behind your team...don't bash every thing that happens for the sake of it.

Seems like most people only really have a problem with MacT because of his willingness (or unwillingness) to do something about Eakins. Outside of his coaching decision, his trades have for the most part all been good for the Oil.

Patience...I know its a word thrown around all to often with this team. We need to have a little more. For those who fully understand the make up of the team and the NHL, they know we have at least a couple of years to go before we start making competitive gains. We basically have to build our team through the draft. It takes that much longer. Especially when we start from the wings. Lesson learned. Can't go back in time.

Rant over

P.S. Shoop, this post has nothing to do with you. I just used it to start my rant. Nothing personal. We all have our opinions, this is mine.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Exactly like the Hemsky deal, Oilers don't want term so they pay dollars. If you want to save dollars, give term.

This is an acceptable strategy as a gamble, that if it doesn't work....(See any number of long term horrible deals..Dipietro, Yashin, Franzen, Weiss, Luongo, Semin, Richards, Clowe, Clarkson) you are out in 2 years. If it does, then you are gravy.

2dHNVgS.gif

Sorry if someone already posted the GIF.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
4.5mil is about .75 too high. But the 2 yr term is perfect so the overpay is not a big deal at all

People don't seem to get this. People also don't seem to get that he is miles better than belov and in 2012 when he was forced to step into the BJs top 4 and take on a bigger role he actually stepped up his play. He was pressured and he stepped up.

He would be a #5 on a very good defense who can step into the top 4. For us he is our #3 imo

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
So much over reaction here, "i dont want rookies on d next season" mact signs a vet, "he said he wouldnt overpay for vets and said hed put rookies on d if it was the only option, so much faith in the youth" lmao STOPGAP ppl should be rejoicing because this basically proves the oilers want to giv nurse two more years development. Also, would ppl look at this different if mact traded for mcdonagh or a different top pair d first? This is just one of many steps to
Fix the D, this isnt our only dman move

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Seems like a lot of complaining for a two year deal with cap space we do not need. We added another NHL D man. Good start to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad