Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CBJ] Oilers Acquire Nikita Nikitin for CBJ 5th '14; Sign to 2-Year $4.5M per

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
From a practical standpoint, what's the difference between "doing nothing" and doing something that just restores the status quo ante bellum.

Today the team's D looks almost identical to last year's.

Doing nothing is what Tambo did.

And of course today the team's D looks almost identical... :laugh: There are 29 other teams who can say the exact same thing! At least wait until free agency is over to say something like that! :help: Hell, wait until free agency begins!

McDeathbyCheerios*

If we don't move anyone out we have around 22 mill to sign 7 players that's an average of about 3 mill each. That's extremely doable especially with a bunch of what we need is a third line.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
From a practical standpoint, what's the difference between "doing nothing" and doing something that just restores the status quo ante bellum.

Agreed, it is a fail if another move doesn't happen. There is an acknowledged need to bring in a top pairing guy and Nikitin ain't it.

He is a decent pickup as a second pairing guy. Tentatively a good signing, but it can't really be judged until other moves are made. The team has four D signed right now: Nikitin/Ference/Marincin and Klefbom. So more has to happen.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Nikitin basically replaces Belov. Almost every move made by Mact has been a minor upgrade here, and a minor upgrade there. At some point these small moves have to add up.

Except we have a player that is better then Belov, actually had NHL experience. We have 3 prospects who are a year older, and a year improved who will be fighting for a spot. And free agency hasn't even started yet.

The d core is currently better then last year.

:laugh: nice to be on the same page as someone

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
huh? 28 year old defender, declining asset, played limited minutes last year on a poor club and in a 5/6 role at that and with next to no pk time. Additionally player struggled playing against Oilers in recent seasons. All of this cited in the thread.

This isn't some young struggling D that needs a chance to turn it around. This is an unimpressive fill player that barely had any role with one of the few clubs in the NHL the Oilers own for fun. The likelihood that a struggling 28yr old D is as good as he gets and not bound to turn into something better is strong.

What substantiation is there that this player will fill any need whatsoever here?

Not sure why you are using the Blue Jackets to discredit Nikitin. They finished in the top half of the league, made the playoffs, and had more wins than other teams that regularly destroy us.

Our lowly Oiler players have also made the Stanley Cup champ Blackhawk team look silly too some years, but that doesn't mean I wouldnt trade for one of their D

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Agreed, it is a fail if another move doesn't happen. There is an acknowledged need to bring in a top pairing guy and Nikitin ain't it.
He is a decent pickup as a second pairing guy. Tentatively a good signing, but it can't really be judged until other moves are made. The team has four D signed right now: Nikitin/Ference/Marincin and Klefbom. So more has to happen.

Prepare for disappointment because this isn't happening regardless.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I'm assuming the bolded is supposed be Nikitin.

And we don't know that ANY of the guys you mentioned even consider coming here. There are way better options than us. And please, no Orpik. The guy can't play defense in a conference where it doesn't exist. What makes you think he can play defense in the conference where it's paramount?

Also don't we have crazy cap money this year anyway? We still have 22 million to spend on whoever.

EDIT: The problem is that people raise their expectations to an absurd level. Edmonton hasn't been able to attract free agents in a very long time, but suddenly this year is going to be different? We've had to buy from the bargain bin for years and until we start winning something that isn't going to change. It's really unfair and unfortunate but that's just how it is.

Yeah, it was a typo on my part. And is Orpik really any worse than Nikitin? Going by TOI and Shft/G, he was essentially Columbus' 7th defenceman last year during the regular season behind Johnson, Wiz, Murray, Tyutin, Savard and Prout. How would Nikitin have fared if he had played in the top four on Pittsburgh?

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005

Sure, but we don't have Belov (plus Nikitin should be a decent upgrade over Belov) and if we subtract Nikitin, it looks worse.

Also, you seem to have it in your mind that he is a #5 at best. I don't think that is clear based on his career, although I don't think it is certain that he is better than that either.

And for those who are upset about the money, if we signed Nikitin for $1M, would the team be better somehow?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Doing nothing is what Tambo did.

Tambo always brought in marginal players to replace outgoing marginal players. Just like this.

And of course today the team's D looks almost identical... :laugh: There are 29 other teams who can say the exact same thing! At least wait until free agency is over to say something like that! :help: Hell, wait until free agency begins

Hence my use of the word "today."

And yes, 29 other teams can say the same thing, but only 2 of those were worse than the Oilers. Yay?

As for waiting, you've spent the entire thread going on about how the Oilers can't sign free agents, so what could you possibly be expecting from the rest of the off season?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, it was a typo on my part. And is Orpik really any worse than Nikitin? Going by TOI and Shft/G, he was essentially Columbus' 7th defenceman last year during the regular season behind Johnson, Wiz, Murray, Tyutin, Savard and Prout. How would Nikitin have fared if he had played in the top four on Pittsburgh?

I don't really see what Orpik brings other than possibly breaking someone's neck. He has Smid-like offense for starters.

And again, there's no guarantee he comes here. Isn't he an American?

No Good Names Left

Jan 30, 2007
I think its fair to say that a guy that within the last year acquired Ference, Larsen, Grebs, Hunt, Fraser, Belov, Nikitin is just throwing darts at this point and seeing if anything sticks.

WE had as many D auditions last year than some teams have as an entire D complement. With this turnstile seeming likely to continue.

Of the D additions MacT has made which ones have been even remotely helpful?

Signing players from Europe to come here has 0 risk, I have no problems with that. They were all on 1 year deals. Would you rather have a failed Larsen or Horcoffs contract still? In case you haven't noticed, UFAs are not knocking down our door to play here. Over paying is reality, that many have posted, until we start winning.

I understand you don't win championships with players like nikitin playing 20+ minutes a game. I would rather have a veteran like him than start 2-3 rookies.

Considering that cap went up 10+% this year, i don't mind this signing at all. I wish it would have been lower, but it isn't.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I agree it definitely impacts the Petry and Schultz contracts. I think the impact is on term, as well as dollars.

Both should be looking at two year deals. tbh 3.5 - 4 M is a likely range for Schultz in light of the Nikitin signing.

4.5M for two years of Petry is a reasonable deal.

Bridge deals for both and it will make the summer of 2016 interesting, although the TV deal could leave the Oilers in a very good position at that point.

Count me as second agree. My biggest concern is how this affects the Petry and Schultz contracts. I suspect they will get more than I hoped.

I do think (might be nothing more than hope disguised as thought) that the team is better with Nikitin.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
Well that's good then, I don't know that Nikita's game has ever translated or looked much like wanting to win. Should fit in great here..

I wish you could really just clarify, as to how we are going to get where we need to be, because it sounds like we shouldn't get anybody unless they can play on the team right up to the parade. Or is it too far gone and any move is worth mocking?

It's getting really tough to be a fan on these boards these days listening to people bit**ing for the sake of b**ching.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Tambo always brought in marginal players to replace outgoing marginal players. Just like this.

Not quite. Tambo did maybe 1 or 2 signings per off season. And Perron was a better trade than anything Tambo did outside of drafting Hall.

Hence my use of the word "today."

And yes, 29 other teams can say the same thing, but only 2 of those were worse than the Oilers. Yay?

As for waiting, you've spent the entire thread going on about how the Oilers can't sign free agents, so what could you possibly be expecting from the rest of the off season?

I've said that the Oilers can't sign QUALITY free agents. A lot of people around here have talked about throwing Niskanen and Stralman money like that'll do the trick. We've seen this show before as recently as last year. The Oilers have to rely on bargain bin free agents because that's all they can sign. You take what you can get. If you have to overpay Nikitin for a couple years, then who cares? What better options are there?

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005

There really wasn't much separation at even strength - only Johnson was really played more than anyone else. He was basically a 3-5 at 5vs5, just like everyone else. Lack of special teams is what puts him down the depth chart, and could be a red flag for sure. So, it seems pretty clear from the last few years, he is at least decent at even strength. The only issue is why he lost is special teams time. If he can show well on the PP or PK (or both) he is a 3-4. If he can't, he is a 5-6. It remains to be seen which is true.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
There really wasn't much separation at even strength - only Johnson was really played more than anyone else. He was basically a 3-5 at 5vs5, just like everyone else. Lack of special teams is what puts him down the depth chart, and could be a red flag for sure. So, it seems pretty clear from the last few years, he is at least decent at even strength. The only issue is why he lost is special teams time. If he can show well on the PP or PK (or both) he is a 3-4. If he can't, he is a 5-6. It remains to be seen which is true.

5 on 5 play has been a team weakness, so having a guy who can specialize in that is not a bad thing for us

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Our D is better with Nikitin than without. Even the biggest trolls on the main trade board can see this :laugh: How much better? Only time will tell
With all the UFA's available why did they target Nikitins rights? They couldn't have offered Pittsburgh that same pick for Niskanen? At the very least I hope to hear that MacTavish offered Niskanen a huge deal but he went somewhere else for less(even better if we signed in Edmonton)

Oilmageddon

Oct 7, 2009
I've said that the Oilers can't sign QUALITY free agents. A lot of people around here have talked about throwing Niskanen and Stralman money like that'll do the trick. We've seen this show before as recently as last year. The Oilers have to rely on bargain bin free agents because that's all they can sign. You take what you can get. If you have to overpay Nikitin for a couple years, then who cares? What better options are there?

This^

This signing coincides with the opening of the Free Agent Interview window. Before inking this deal with Nikitin, MacT would have inquired as to interest from the "Tier 1" free agents. When they confirm there is little to no interest going to Edmonton he finalizes the deal at a price required to get it done.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Our D is better with Nikitin than without. Even the biggest trolls on the main trade board can see this :laugh: How much better? Only time will tell
With all the UFA's available why did they target Nikitins rights? They couldn't have offered Pittsburgh that same pick for Niskanen? At the very least I hope to hear that MacTavish offered Niskanen a huge deal but he went somewhere else for less(even better if we signed in Edmonton)

Because there isn't a chance in Hell Niskanen even thinks about signing here.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's a two year contract guys. It doesn't matter how much they pay him, there's no way the Oilers will be able to spend to the cap even if they wanted to.

There's going to be better deals on July 1st for some other teams, but the fact is that the majority of quality free agents won't even consider coming to Edmonton. Nikitin seems like a good defenceman, he's always put up decent numbers, and he's young enough that he could still improve a bit. I'm not seeing the downside, I'm just seeing a lot of people getting caught up on a number.

This isn't like signing Belov or Grebeshkov and expecting them to play top-4. This is a guy that's had good stats over the last three NHL seasons, he's a legitimate NHLer. This is an improvement, overpay or not.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
You're assuming he will play ahead of them. I mean, they'll play him there at first. But there's no indication he'll succeed.

Guy is a stop-gap. He's there so that MM and Klefbom don't HAVE to play ahead of him. there is a difference between having to play in a roll, and having options. Do I think that Klefbom AND Marincin have what it takes to overtake Nikitin, sure...when though. If its the second quarter of this year, awesome! But it doesn't HAVE to be. If Klefbom and Marincin for whatever reason need half the year or all year to be insulated, then at least we have an option now. We had no option before this signing. Huge win right there. Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad