Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CBJ] Oilers Acquire Nikita Nikitin for CBJ 5th '14; Sign to 2-Year $4.5M per

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lets contrast. Why would somebody sign here;

Guaranteed overpay This isn't enough for some UFAs. See Clarkson.

Little if any expectation Uhhh... There is a LOT expected of this team. That's why we crap on them all the damn time.

Guaranteed long offseasons Yeah that's a big draw. Who wants to play in the playoffs?

None of the cheques bounce Well damn you got me there.

Worst thing you ever experience is a jersey being tossed on the ice. You mean besides being on the worst team of all time?

Decent exposure with all games being televised thus your play is out there for other GM's to consider. I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh and New York have no problems getting their games televised and they probably have as many national broadcasts as we do.

Decent, clean, safe, affordable city. Countless opportunities for family recreation in the playground that is Alberta. It's still a pit with long winters.

Get full house crowds every night and a rabid fanbase prepared to forgive and forget anytime you stitch a couple good games together. Ones that throw jerseys on the ice, overblow every single incident and are mad as all hell.

You're not making a very compelling argument Replacement.

Also not one single thing you mentioned attributes to the most important thing: Winning.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Historically I have been as big an Oiler critic as anybody but signing Nikitin is a risk worth taking.

I get the impression that some posters just feel good about *****ing because there is little to no substantive evidence to support that signing Nikitin is a bad idea.
Signing Nikitin is a small step in a positive direction IMO.

huh? 28 year old defender, declining asset, played limited minutes last year on a poor club and in a 5/6 role at that and with next to no pk time. Additionally player struggled playing against Oilers in recent seasons. All of this cited in the thread.

This isn't some young struggling D that needs a chance to turn it around. This is an unimpressive fill player that barely had any role with one of the few clubs in the NHL the Oilers own for fun. The likelihood that a struggling 28yr old D is as good as he gets and not bound to turn into something better is strong.

What substantiation is there that this player will fill any need whatsoever here?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My opinion is as long as a signing doesn't effect our long term cap implications and our ability to sign/add core players and at the end of the day makes us a better team, I don't really care how much of Katz's money he is wasting.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Also not one single thing you mentioned attributes to the most important thing: Winning.

Well that's good then, I don't know that Nikita's game has ever translated or looked much like wanting to win. Should fit in great here..

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
If that's the case, why bother throwing money at guys who aren't worth it? Keep your powder dry. If that means another year in the wilderness, well, so be it. It's not like you're winning anything paying Nikitin big bucks to play over his head.

Is it? Both MM and Klefa are probably going to see a lot of time with the big club this season. So how are they being shielded?

This is not a well thought out question. How is someone who will play ahead of MM and Klefbom going to shield MM and Klefbom? is that what you are asking?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Way to much dollar for nikitin, i get that we have to overpay for ufas cause were not overly attractive as a market right now but wow, would have much rather saved that money to spend higher dollar on a guy like niskanen or someone more proven, hopefully nikitin plays reasonably well. Seems like a number 5 dman to me which shouldn't cost that much.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Can't say I'm surprised at the wailing and gnashing of teeth. This is the board that blows it's top when a fourth line player is added.

Meh, it's overpayment, but at a two year term who gives a crap? At least he's an NHL player, something severely lacking on the Oiler blueline.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well that's good then, I don't know that Nikita's game has ever translated or looked much like wanting to win. Should fit in great here..

What?

What the hell does that even mean? He doesn't "look like" he wants to win? I'd be interested to know who you think wants to win.

Even if the boys on this team mail it in very frequently, they still want to win.

Anyway you still didn't provide any good reasons to sign with this team that weren't money.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Way to much dollar for nikitin, i get that we have to overpay for ufas cause were not overly attractive as a market right now but wow, would have much rather saved that money to spend higher dollar on a guy like niskanen or someone more proven, hopefully nikitin plays reasonably well. Seems like a number 5 dman to me which shouldn't cost that much.

Niskanen doesn't even look at this team as an option.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

You don't become a winning team by overpaying for lower tier free agents.

In English soccer, there's a saying, "buy from the Championship, end up in the championship." Looking back at the MacT's history with free agency, we have:

- Grebeshkov
- Belov
- Bachman
- Acton
- Hamilton
- LaBarbera
- Gordon
- Bryzgalov
- Ference
- Joensuu

How many of those signings instill you with confidence, when the best of them is a 4th line center?

EDIT - Championship league is the league below the Premier league, not Champions League.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
This is not a well thought out question. How is someone who will play ahead of MM and Klefbom going to shield MM and Klefbom? is that what you are asking?

You're assuming he will play ahead of them. I mean, they'll play him there at first. But there's no indication he'll succeed.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You don't become a winning team by overpaying for lower tier free agents.

In English soccer, there's a saying, "buy from the Championship, end up in the championship." Looking back at the MacT's history with free agency, we have:

- Grebeshkov
- Belov
- Bachman
- Acton
- Hamilton
- LaBarbera
- Gordon
- Bryzgalov
- Ference
- Joensuu

How many of those signings instill you with confidence, when the best of them is a 4th line center?

EDIT - Championship league is the league below the Premier league, not Champions League.

You don't win by doing nothing either, which is the other option. And we tried that already.

People who think Stralman or Niskanen even consider Edmonton an option are in for a lot of disappointment. Free agents don't want to come to Edmonton. We've known this fact for years and yet people are still surprised by it. It's baffling.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
You're assuming he will play ahead of them. I mean, they'll play him there at first. But there's no indication he'll succeed.

Agreed. Exhibit A for how the Oilers overpaid for a mediocre defenceman who (should have) ended up on the bottom-pairing by the end of the year is last year's signing of Ference.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
huh? 28 year old defender, declining asset, played limited minutes last year on a poor club and in a 5/6 role at that and with next to no pk time. Additionally player struggled playing against Oilers in recent seasons. All of this cited in the thread.

This isn't some young struggling D that needs a chance to turn it around. This is an unimpressive fill player that barely had any role with one of the few clubs in the NHL the Oilers own for fun. The likelihood that a struggling 28yr old D is as good as he gets and not bound to turn into something better is strong.

What substantiation is there that this player will fill any need whatsoever here?

He gives much needed depth and competition to the young d-man in our system in trying earn regular spots on the team

In no paticular order the D-core now consists of:

Petry
Marincin
Shultz
Klefbom
Ference
Nikitin
Larsen (if qualified)

If Klefbom or Marincin want top 4 minutes, they have to earn it from Nikitin

McDeathbyCheerios*

Agreed. Exhibit A for how the Oilers overpaid for a mediocre defenceman who (should have) ended up on the bottom-pairing by the end of the year is last year's signing of Ference.
Ferrence still ended the year with second most minutes played

McDeathbyCheerios*

He gives much needed depth and competition to the young d-man in our system in trying earn regular spots on the team

In no paticular order the D-core now consists of:

Petry
Marincin
Shultz
Klefbom
Ference
Nikitin
Larsen (if qualified)

If Klefbom or Marincin want top 4 minutes, they have to earn it from Nikitin
And that's what MacT wants. He wants his players to fight for the spot. Sure we overplayed Nikitin, but it's for two years and we won't need that money for Marincin or Klefbom yet

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Expensive, but nice proactive signing

Not sold on Nikitin being a top 4 defenseman at all. Hopefully Howson and MacT are on the mark here.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
You don't win by doing nothing either, which is the other option. And we tried that already.

People who think Stralman or Niskanen even consider Edmonton an option are in for a lot of disappointment. Free agents don't want to come to Edmonton. We've known this fact for years and yet people are still surprised by it. It's baffling.

To be fair, I don't want the team to target Niskanen as I think he's going to be the new Wideman/Garrison - a defenceman who gets way more money than he is worth on a long contract due to UFA status. I also agree that the likelihood of the team getting Stralman is slim, but if they're going to throw out an overpay, I understand it for a player that will clearly be in the top 4 next year.

As I stated earlier, is Niskanen really any better than signing Derek Morris or Henrik Tallinder on a 1-year contract, or Orpik and Meszaros on a 2-year contract? All of those players are likely to last on the market after the initial wave of free agency subsides and provide short-term protection for Klefbom and Nurse, while not throwing the team's salary structure out of whack and taking up money that would be better spent on signing players like Moss, Kulemin and Grabovski.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
4.5 is an overpay by 1 million. The thing I really don't like is that now you have to pay Petry and Schultz at least 4.5 also since they both have potential to be a lot better then Nikitin.

I agree it definitely impacts the Petry and Schultz contracts. I think the impact is on term, as well as dollars.

Both should be looking at two year deals. tbh 3.5 - 4 M is a likely range for Schultz in light of the Nikitin signing.

4.5M for two years of Petry is a reasonable deal.

Bridge deals for both and it will make the summer of 2016 interesting, although the TV deal could leave the Oilers in a very good position at that point.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Expensive, but nice proactive signing

Not sold on Nikitin being a top 4 defenseman at all. Hopefully Howson and MacT are on the mark here.

They've actually done well in identifying players on other teams that are down the depth charts, but could be useful in this team.

Perron, Scrivens and Fasth are perfect examples

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To be fair, I don't want the team to target Niskanen as I think he's going to be the new Wideman/Garrison - a defenceman who gets way more money than he is worth on a long contract due to UFA status. I also agree that the likelihood of the team getting Stralman is slim, but if they're going to throw out an overpay, I understand it for a player that will clearly be in the top 4 next year.

As I stated earlier, is Niskanen really any better than signing Derek Morris or Henrik Tallinder on a 1-year contract, or Orpik and Meszaros on a 2-year contract? All of those players are likely to last on the market after the initial wave of free agency subsides and provide short-term protection for Klefbom and Nurse, while not throwing the team's salary structure out of whack and taking up money that would be better spent on signing players like Moss, Kulemin and Grabovski.

I'm assuming the bolded is supposed be Nikitin.

And we don't know that ANY of the guys you mentioned even consider coming here. There are way better options than us. And please, no Orpik. The guy can't play defense in a conference where it doesn't exist. What makes you think he can play defense in the conference where it's paramount?

Also don't we have crazy cap money this year anyway? We still have 22 million to spend on whoever.

EDIT: The problem is that people raise their expectations to an absurd level. Edmonton hasn't been able to attract free agents in a very long time, but suddenly this year is going to be different? We've had to buy from the bargain bin for years and until we start winning something that isn't going to change. It's really unfair and unfortunate but that's just how it is.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

From a practical standpoint, what's the difference between "doing nothing" and doing something that just restores the status quo ante bellum.

Today the team's D looks almost identical to last year's.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
From a practical standpoint, what's the difference between "doing nothing" and doing something that just restores the status quo ante bellum.

Nikitin basically replaces Belov. Almost every move made by Mact has been a minor upgrade here, and a minor upgrade there. At some point these small moves have to add up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Except we have a player that is better then Belov, actually had NHL experience. We have 3 prospects who are a year older, and a year improved who will be fighting for a spot. And free agency hasn't even started yet.

The d core is currently better then last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad