Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CBJ] Oilers Acquire Nikita Nikitin for CBJ 5th '14; Sign to 2-Year $4.5M per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
per Bob McKenzie

EDM acquires negotiating rights to pending UFA D Nikita Nikitin from CBJ. www.twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

EDIT: Clarification: EDM has window in which it's permissible to negotiate with CBJ pending UFA Nikita Nikitin, but no trade has yet been made.

Bottom line: EDM is, for a specified time, able to make a pitch to Nikitin. If a contract can be worked out, EDM and CBJ can conclude trade.- Bob McKenzie

2nd EDIT: #Oilers have signed D Nikita Nikitin. #CBJ will get a 5th-round draft pick (their own, pick 137) - Aaron Portzline

Last edited by a moderator:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
MacT: *Kisses "Welcome to the Alberta Advantage!" DVD package, throws in mailbox*

Crap, I hope we didn't give up too high a pick for this.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Nikitin was a healthy scratch near the end of the year before the playoffs. Nick Schultz replaced him in the lineup for a few games.

This is not the right UFA target MacT. Was quite poor in the Olympics, dragged down his D partner (who was, wait for it, Anton Belov).

Two years ago he had this out of the blue great year, while the last two years haven't been so great. He's not really an upgrade on what we have.

It seems like the trade might have been because 1) He moved the puck decently in that one year and 2) He has size

Seems like a No.5/No.6 D to me that we already have plenty of /rant

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Looks like Mac T just found his Belov replacement. Bold move indeed....

All joking aside, Nikitin is an improvement for our third pairing and can be used on the PP.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
He isn't going to solve our D issues, but he's still an upgrade to our top 6. I hope they can get him signed.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, I like the move. Let's face it, we're the redheaded step-kids of the NHL. The only chance at any UFA's worth a damn, we have to be proactive. Good luck in signing him.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I wonder what the stats are for the likelihood of teams that trade for the UFA rights to a player, to actually get that player signed? 50%? 80%?

Anyway, anything that could put Mark Fraser further down the depth chart (and hopefully right out of the lineup) can't be a bad thing.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
he can't be worse then ference, can he?

I'd say better than Ference, maybe on par with Schultz/Klefbom/Marincin, worse than Petry

but that's up for debate, since a lot of people on these boards are divided on Petry and Ference and the kids. He isn't clearly ahead of anyone, we can all agree on that one.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Feels like a good tactical move. I think he gives the Oilers a chance to shelter Marincin and/or Klefbom in case there's regression. The Oilers still need a true#1, but he makes 4-5-6 a lot better.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
would you say he is better than or on the same level as niskanen or stralman?

I know stralman just came out of the SCF and everyone loves him now, myself included, but he still seems to be in the same tier as nikitin....skill wise.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Texted a Jackets fan friend of mine, his response:

"He can shoot, he cannot skate"

Contrasts a bit with the scouting report from Forecaster

Assets: Has a nice combination of size and great mobility for the National Hockey League game. Moves the puck well and displays all-round acumen. Can fire the rubber disc. Relies on poise and good anticipation in the defensive zone.

Flaws: Seems willing but doesn't play much of a physical game, and could stand to be a little more aggressive overall for a player with his impressive size (6-3, 217 pounds). Also, he must be more consistent defensively.

Career Potential: Solid puck-moving defenseman with size.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My guess is the Oilers gave back the pick they got for Nick Schultz.

I like this move, an improvement to the overall depth of the defense if they can get his signed reasonably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad