Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ARI] Oilers acquire Troy Stecher and BOS 7th '24 for EDM 4th '27

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Stetcher has played for his hometown Canucks and now played for most of their biggest division rivals (Flames, Kings and now Oilers). Pretty interesting journey for a guy that likely grew up as a Canucks fan

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Twitter comments are usually quite enlightening and well thought through. I find they change my opinion and world view on a regular basis. :nod:
They change my world view..

1709839338963.png

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
It is actually nice to see getting 7th round picks back as stupid as that sounds. After the second round the draft is pretty much a crapshoot. At least they can grab a faller and still luck out.
The fact that we get a 7th 3 years sooner than the 4th makes it that much better in this instance.

Reactions: nabob and Biltmore

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think they would have needed to waive Brown today in order to have him off the roster for tomorrow in order to be cap compliant? I'm not quite sure how waivers works though. If the cap stops counting once they hit waivers.

“LTIR” anyone?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Decent option as a #7

Wish he was retained though
Ya would've been nice just to give the 4th for a fully retained Stecher, but maybe Arizona didn't want to. Maybe they plan on retaining elsewhere.

Then again we could've just gave another team that 7th to retain too

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like this deal.
Some retention would have been nice but Stecher is a good player.
Have to be honest though I had no idea he was only 5'9".
Really surprising because he sure doesnt play like he is 5'9".

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Good quiet pickup. I like that Holland is making moves versus waiting for the big pieces.

Nothing worse than swinging for someone like Guentzel, missing, then everyone else is off the board

OddManRush

Mar 22, 2022
Kinda wild that Troy Stecher has been an NHL regular for 7 years. Normally an undersized dman either has to be elite defensively (like a Spurgeon) or produce points (like a Barrie) if he doesn’t have that in his bag. What has kept him in the league?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good quiet pickup. I like that Holland is making moves versus waiting for the big pieces.

Nothing worse than swinging for someone like Guentzel, missing, then everyone else is off the board
Why would anybody want Guentzel instead of Henrique? I don't get it. Of the two Henrique is his own guy and can move offense on own. Guentzel is kind of a runt and gives me dweeb vibes. haha

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Have to assume any deal now would include a player going back. If it's a defenceman it would have to be Ceci, if it's a forward I imagine Janmark could be the odd guy out.

I'm ok with this... I haven't seen much from Janmark this year at all. He seems to have lost a step and has been handling the puck like a grenade lately.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Pretty good deadline. Still want a back goaltender tho.
I'm more than fine with Pickard honestly. He's been great considering how little he plays. The plus side of that is he will be playing more now with all the upcoming back to backs remaining.

What I'm most concerned about is Skinner though come playoff time. When he's bad...he's really bad. And we need him to be at least average when it matters. None of this below .900 garbage. lol

Why would anybody want Guentzel instead of Henrique? I don't get it. Of the two Henrique is his own guy and can move offense on own. Guentzel is kind of a runt and gives me dweeb vibes. haha
To be honest, we don't even know how well he will do on another team. Hasn't he played with Crosby his entire career? Maybe he ends up like Huberdeau who was clearly carried by Barkov and Co in FLA.. But I guess we will see if he is ever traded. lol

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Twitter comments are usually quite enlightening and well thought through. I find they change my opinion and world view on a regular basis. :nod:
Bro i did not even believe in god when i started reading Twitter and no i believe the earth is flat and that i have 5g in my vein thru my covid vaccine. :sarcasm:

ok i'll show myself out and go back to my own forum ....

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kinda wild that Troy Stecher has been an NHL regular for 7 years. Normally an undersized dman either has to be elite defensively (like a Spurgeon) or produce points (like a Barrie) if he doesn’t have that in his bag.
Kinda surprised people don't remember Stecher had 2G 2A 4GP in playoffs a couple years ago AGAINST the Oilers. He was a decent fill in for Kings that year who also got him at TDL. No doubt Ken Holland remembered this detail.

He's no offensive stud but can read and move the puck decently and jump in on some plays. Good injury insurance or even stepping in if somebody struggling.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lowetide was saying he's very good at moving the puck, which seems odd because you'd think he'd have more points. I get that just because you move it out of the zone you aren't always going to get the points, but 4 apples on the year for a guy that moves the puck well?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

OddManRush

Mar 22, 2022
Kinda surprised people don't remember Stecher had 2G 2A 4GP in playoffs a couple years ago AGAINST the Oilers. He was a decent fill in for Kings that year who also got him at TDL. No doubt Ken Holland remembered this detail.

He's no offensive stud but can read and move the puck decently and jump in on some plays.
I do remember him playing well for that 4 game stretch. It’s just odd to me that a 5’10 dman who’s not a defensive stalwart and who only gets like 10 points a year is in the league.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lowetide was saying he's very good at moving the puck, which seems odd because you'd think he'd have more points. I get that just because you move it out of the zone you aren't always going to get the points, but 4 apples on the year for a guy that moves the puck well?
He isn't on a good team and was often bottom pairing. Not going to get a lot of assists with that bottom 6

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I do remember him playing well for that 4 game stretch. It’s just odd to me that a 5’10 dman who’s not a defensive stalwart and who only gets like 10 points a year is in the league.
He's been a 7th journeyman dman for a while now. I honestly thought he had retired 2-3 years ago i was like wtf when i saw that trade.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Stecher is a smaller D that can play beyond his size and make transition outs pretty well while playing on bad clubs.

Thing is he's always been reliable. He somehow finds a way to make plays. His quick reads are what keeps him in league. jmo. Undrafted player but reads outs very well. Was a decent skater. Haven't seen him much this year.

He's just more of a solid D than one would expect given his size. This comment coming from somebody that likes size in their D. Stecher plays above his weight class. The guy has lower GA on bad teams. The guy did lots in NCAA. He has talent.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes