Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ARI] Oilers acquire Troy Stecher and BOS 7th '24 for EDM 4th '27

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Could be a sneaky good pick up. I’d like to see him with nurse and with kulak down the stretch.

Could be a sneaky good pick up. I’d like to see him with nurse and with kulak down the stretch.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Put him in, his mobility, skills and puck-retrieval ability will be night and day compared to Ceci.

Also pretty feisty as well, not afraid to fight above his weight class

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Who does he replace? Desharnais? unlikely given that the latter is key to penalty kill. And Knob does not play 7 d-men usually.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
sma

Fearless puck moving game with wheels and experience... you bet.

If the Oilers stop screwing up and start honing the defensive knife we would see Stecher in a equal rotation Ceci and Desharnais for the remainder...

Hopefully Broberg gets a regular season game or two as well. Start putting on a defensive clinic.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Stecher in an equal rotation with Ceci and Desharnais for the remainder of the season. The defenseman who plays mistake free hockey gets bonus games.
Knoblauch straight up said they have no intention of giving him games as they are incredibly happy with the current 6.
So we probably only see Stecher if a guy plays dreadful or injuries.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Knoblauch straight up said they have no intention of giving him games as they are incredibly happy with the current 6.

Easy there Knob, don't go galaxy-braining yourself, see what happened to Woodcroft when he got stubborn (I will go back to Skinner because I already decided he's my guy no matter what even though I've pulled him 4 times!).

Refusing to give Stecher a look because you've convinced yourself Desharnias and Ceci are masters of the universe wouldn't be smart.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Except thats not what he said.

He said he wanted him to acclimate and get a practice or two first.

No where in his interview does it say they have no intention of giving him games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Except thats not what he said.

He said he wanted him to acclimate and get a practice or two first.

No where in his interview does it say they have no intention of giving him games.
Except listen to the question after he said that. He said they might play 11-7 to maybe see what he has but they have no intent to not play their 6. They MIGHT look at it later but they like their 6 guys.

But I guess we will wait and see what they do.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
At worst the coach refuses to see what he has but now the team has an extra pairing at their disposal.

If Broberg can play a Stecher level game if needed I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At worst the coach refuses to see what he has but now the team has an extra pairing at their disposal.

If Broberg can play a Stecher level game if needed I don't think anyone would be disappointed.
That is a massive IF. Stecher is a much better player. At least right now.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That is a massive IF. Stecher is a much better player. At least right now.
mistake free hockey, we have liabilities on every pairing... the chances in the playoffs increase dramatically when players don't cough up the puck... but you carry on with the contempt as it's what you are

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
mistake free hockey, we have liabilities on every pairing... the chances in the playoffs increase dramatically when players don't cough up the puck... but you carry on with the contempt as it's what you are
Broberg doesn’t play mistake free hockey though? So I don’t get your point

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Broberg doesn’t play mistake free hockey though? So I don’t get your point
He plays close to mistake free hockey at the AHL level, and he is better than half our dmen at moving the puck already imo, he just hasn't done it at the pro level. Maybe he never gets there, but he also could be one of the best four dmen already.

Bouchard was awful right up until he wasn't.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
@Dazed and Confused

Just looking at some of Ceci's and Stecher's numbers this season.
Its an interesting comparison....

Ceci
GP 60 G 2 A 16 TOI 20:10 CF% 50.8 oZS% 48.3

Cody Ceci Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

Stecher
GP 47 G 1 A 4 TOI 18:26 CF% 49.1 oZS% 43.5

Troy Stecher Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

So even though Ceci quite often plays with Edmontons best players (which likely explains his larger point totals) his Corsi is less than 1 percentage point better than Stechers and Stecher gets more defensive zone starts than Ceci.
So the quality of linemates in massively in favor of Ceci and yet Stecher does quite well.
There isnt even a big gap in terms of the TOI.
The reports I am hearing as well suggest that Stechers strength is his skating and puck moving. Something that isnt a strength for Ceci.

This discussion has opened my eyes a little. Very curious to see how Stecher does moving forward.

I think an even better comparison is where Ceci and Kulak were at right before they got to Edmonton.

Stecher (just copied from your post)

Kulak with Montreal in 21-22
GP 56 G 3 A 10 TOI 17:58 CF% 49.3 oZS% 46.7

Ceci with Pittsburgh in 2021
GP 53 G 4 A 13 TOI 18:31 CF% 49.5 oZS% 50.0

None of the 3 played significant (i.e top 4) minutes against elites per PuckIQ. But that's a problem Darnell Nurse is so use to covering for with his partners, that he just thinks it's the norm.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
He's coming off b2b minus games with his lowest ice times of the season after being moved off the Nurse pairing.

I don't think the team politics are working in Ceci's favour at the moment.
I also think with all the games coming up in close succession it’s an easy call to insert Stetcher to give guys a rest

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if we could rest a couple guys and build up cap space to eat up the overage on Brown. Don't we have a bit of a rough schedule? We could play Stecher. Is Ceci getting claimed if he's waived? Kane? At the very least, Ryan or Janmark

All these guys could come back for playoffs. We are talking about 19 games left if we do this after Sunday. There is one month left. This could actually help the team's playoffs by giving older guys a chance to rest and train

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lol, they aren't scratching Ceci and Desharnais, the Oilers brass loves those guys. Stecher is injury insurance, nothing more.

The smart move would be to try Stecher on the Nurse pairing just to see if they have something there because the others clearly haven't worked so....why not? But that's not happening.
I've always been interested to see how Nurse works with a puckmover. His best moments have been with Bear and Barrie tbh.

Reactions: MessierThanThou

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think an even better comparison is where Ceci and Kulak were at right before they got to Edmonton.

Stecher (just copied from your post)

Kulak with Montreal in 21-22
GP 56 G 3 A 10 TOI 17:58 CF% 49.3 oZS% 46.7

Ceci with Pittsburgh in 2021
GP 53 G 4 A 13 TOI 18:31 CF% 49.5 oZS% 50.0

None of the 3 played significant (i.e top 4) minutes against elites per PuckIQ. But that's a problem Darnell Nurse is so use to covering for with his partners, that he just thinks it's the norm.
Interesting.
By all reports Ceci had a really good year in Pittsburg before coming here and these numbers seem to bear that out.
I might add though that Nurse may be used to covering for a partner but all too oftent he is part of the problem in terms of his coverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad