Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ARI] Oilers acquire Troy Stecher and BOS 7th '24 for EDM 4th '27

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well, the Oil and many other teams have successfully morphed from their opening day rosters for this year’s version of the Mercenary Cup Playoffs (oh, I mean Stanley Cup). Nearly 20% of the roster when you change out/add 4 roster players. I’m not sure I feel okay about this. Been happening for years but this year it seems like it’s an acute arms race between 6-8 teams.

We’ll see I guess …

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Well, the Oil and many other teams have successfully morphed from their opening day rosters for this year’s version of the Mercenary Cup Playoffs (oh, I mean Stanley Cup). Nearly 20% of the roster when you change out/add 4 roster players. I’m not sure I feel okay about this. Been happening for years but this year it seems like it’s an acute arms race between 6-8 teams.

We’ll see I guess …

if this is an arms race Vancouver is Goro from Mortal Kombat, Vegas is Shiva the hindu God, and Edmonton is the drummer from Def Leppard

Reactions: brentashton

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
if this is an arms race Vancouver is Goro from Mortal Kombat, Vegas is Shiva the hindu God, and Edmonton is the drummer from Def Leppard

Edmonton is Eddie from the Killers cover.

Our opponent is the guy hanging onto his t shirt.

IMG_2755.jpeg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Funny. People from Saskatchewan that know of Alvin Law wouldn’t be deterred- he never gave up- and he succeeded famously.

I hope we’re more like Black Night in the Holy Grail, battered and bloodied but never giving up.

‘Tis but a flesh wound!!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
This is a very positive rundown on Stechers game.

So you're suggesting that Stecher is a potential replacment for Ceci?

Replacement is the wrong word, alternative maybe?

In a vacuum I do think Ceci is the better player, but... outside of Kulak, I don't feel like he pairs well with the LD here. Ekholm is too slow (and faces elites), Nurse is too aggressive (and faces elites), and Broberg is too young/inexperienced/indecisive. Kulak's fairly safe/steady game with strong skating, playing vs. secondary matchups does work with Ceci though, much like Keith did. Same with guys like Dumoulin or Petersson, whom he spent most of his time in Pittsburgh with.

Imo Stecher and his superior skating are a better fit for the LD here. Especially if you're able to pair him with someone like Nurse. The rest of the defence are also all 6'2+ and over 200lb, so his lack of size can be hidden.**

** This is where I didn't get Colorado going after Walker. Right now Manson and JMFJ (lol) are their only defenceman over 200lb, and their entire top 4 (they paid a 1st to get a top 4 defenceman, right?) can be physcially pushed around.

Last edited:
Reactions: OilynutEsquire

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Decent 6th Dman, can jump in if needed due to poor play or injury.

Kind of brings home this deadline’s reality with Ceci’s additional year and Kulak’s additional two as not being of much interest around the league to take back for a more substantial addition.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I wonder how many games he'll get? Likely better than Broberg. Possibly, on any given night, better than Kulak or Ceci.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Replacement is the wrong work, alternative maybe?

In a vacuum I do think Ceci is the better player, but... outside of Kulak, I don't feel like he pairs well with the LD here. Ekholm is too slow (and faces elites), Nurse is too aggressive (and faces elites), and Broberg is too young/inexperienced/indecisive. Kulak's fairly safe/steady game with strong skating, playing vs. secondary matchups does work with Ceci though, much like Keith did. Same with guys like Dumoulin or Petersson, whom he spent most of his time in Pittsburgh with.

Imo Stecher and his superior skating are a better fit for the LD here. Especially if you're able to pair him with someone like Nurse. The rest of the defence are also all 6'2+ and over 200lb, so his lack of size can be hidden.**

** This is where I didn't get Colorado going after Walker. Right now Manson and JMFJ (lol) are their only defenceman over 200lb, and their entire top 4 (they paid a 1st to get a top 4 defenceman, right?) can be physcially pushed around.
Well...I dont agree that Ekhol is slow. He doesnt skate like Kulak for example but he isnt a slow skater. He is such a smart player though that he doesnt tend to expell any more energy than he has to. Where Ekholm runs into trouble is when Bouchard misreads a play and then Ekholm tries to do too much. That happens a fair bit.
I agree about Nurse...too aggressive/overreactive. Takes himself out of position too often. He also seems to puck watch a little too much for my liking.

If Stecher is as good as you are suggesting then he may be able to sub in for Ceci during a game. To put Stecher in the lineup creates a problem though...who do you take out?

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Replacement is the wrong word, alternative maybe?

He's probably more of an upgrade on Bruberg. I'd be surprised if he plays many games unless they dress 7 d-men, which I guess was more of a Woody thing.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Well...I dont agree that Ekhol is slow. He doesnt sakte like Kulak for example but he isnt a slow skater. He is such a smart player though that he doesnt tend to expell any more energy than he has to. Where Ekholm runs into trouble is when Bouchard misreads a play and then Ekholm tries to do too much. That happens a fair bit.
I agree about Nurse...too aggressive/overreactive. Takes himself out of position too often. He also seems to puck watch a little too much for my liking.

If Stecher is as good as you are suggesting then he may be able to sub in for Ceci during a game. To put Stecher in the lineup creates a problem though...who do you take out?

Maybe slow isn't the right word for Ekholm, but in their one game together vs. f'ing Anaheim the two of them struggled to limit the Ducks' open ice and stop them from getting in behind them (0:45, 1:16, 2:35 being good examples...). Though I do think that's a Ceci issue, as Ekholm with a slow boots Bouchard doesn't have the same issue.

Imo Ceci has the same issues you described for Nurse "too aggressive/overreactive. Takes himself out of position too often. He also seems to puck watch a little too much for my liking." It feels like he's yet to meet a pinch/step up in the neutral zone that he didn't like this season (Again, see 0:45, 1:16, 2:35 in the video above...). Mix that in with his slowness getting back and it's a recipe for trouble.

For now I'm curious to see Nurse-Vinny and Kulak-Ceci for a few games. But if Vinny can't handle the top 4 minutes, it's going to come down to whom Kulak looked better playing with: Vinny or Ceci. With the loser sitting.

It's not so much because I think Stecher is amazing. Rather I'm leaning on Ekholm-Boucahrd and Kulak-Vinny/Ceci being such strong pairings, that Nurse can cover for a #5/6, whose style meshes well with him.

He's probably more of an upgrade on Bruberg. I'd be surprised if he plays many games unless they dress 7 d-men, which I guess was more of a Woody thing.

Honestly I think it creates a clear divide. Strecher will jump in for one of the RHD and Broberg will come up and be in the lineup if one of the LHD go down. Everyone stays to their natural side, even in case of injury.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

We’ll see I guess …
The Oilers didn't move out anybody from their active roster outside of Holloway though although, yes, the Carrick addition pushed Brown out of the lineup but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I understand what you mean though but this has always been the case at trade deadlines. The NHL would be pretty boring otherwise tbh.

Reactions: brentashton

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The Oilers didn't move out anybody from their active roster outside of Holloway though.

I understand what you mean though but this has always been the case at trade deadlines. The NHL would be pretty boring otherwise tbh.
Yes, it's a standard fare. In 2006 the Oilers brought Roloson, Samsonov, Spacek and Tarnstrom right around or at the trade deadline.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

What I like about Stecher is his 5v5 D is good, his GA/60 right on par with Ceci and vinny. And regardless of what people think of his play, Ceci still has a great GA/60 5v5. And low turnovers.

That said, his PK is not as good as Ceci's and Vinny and offensively is a pretty large black hole. But he is smart and plays within his skillset. I think he can jump in either slot as required and look good, even bump someone if hee

The Walker play I never got, he is not a great defensive D man, his numbers are well worse than all mentioned above (except he seems good on the PK). They have enough offense. Then again Colorado really needed to dump johannson .....

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe slow isn't the right word for Ekholm, but in their one game together vs. f'ing Anaheim the two of them struggled to limit the Ducks' open ice and stop them from getting in behind them (0:45, 1:16, 2:35 being good examples...). Though I do think that's a Ceci issue, as Ekholm with a slow boots Bouchard doesn't have the same issue.

Imo Ceci has the same issues you described for Nurse "too aggressive/overreactive. Takes himself out of position too often. He also seems to puck watch a little too much for my liking." It feels like he's yet to meet a pinch/step up in the neutral zone that he didn't like this season (Again, see 0:45, 1:16, 2:35 in the video above...). Mix that in with his slowness getting back and it's a recipe for trouble.

For now I'm curious to see Nurse-Vinny and Kulak-Ceci for a few games. But if Vinny can't handle the top 4 minutes, it's going to come down to whom Kulak looked better playing with: Vinny or Ceci. With the loser sitting.

It's not so much because I think Stecher is amazing. Rather I'm leaning on Ekholm-Boucahrd and Kulak-Vinny/Ceci being such strong pairings, that Nurse can cover for a #5/6, whose style meshes well with him.
Yeah...I pretty much agree with you here.
I guess if nothing else Stechers arrival creates some potential options for Knoblauch.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@Dazed and Confused

Just looking at some of Ceci's and Stecher's numbers this season.
Its an interesting comparison....

Ceci
GP 60 G 2 A 16 TOI 20:10 CF% 50.8 oZS% 48.3

Cody Ceci Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

Stecher
GP 47 G 1 A 4 TOI 18:26 CF% 49.1 oZS% 43.5

Troy Stecher Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

So even though Ceci quite often plays with Edmontons best players (which likely explains his larger point totals) his Corsi is less than 1 percentage point better than Stechers and Stecher gets more defensive zone starts than Ceci.
So the quality of linemates in massively in favor of Ceci and yet Stecher does quite well.
There isnt even a big gap in terms of the TOI.
The reports I am hearing as well suggest that Stechers strength is his skating and puck moving. Something that isnt a strength for Ceci.

This discussion has opened my eyes a little. Very curious to see how Stecher does moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad