Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ANA] Joel Persson for Angus Redmond and Conditional 2022 7th round pick

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Put me down for an "I told ya so" if Persson pans out, because I never liked him and get the decision to flip him for a late pick. His backwards skating and in particular pivots were just horrible, and I didn't like his decision making. In specific situations he could make good passes, and as most fans over value offense, I think that gave him a sparkle some can't resist. But he's not an NHLer on any team that intends to win.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I like Persson, unfortunate that with our logjam he was never going to get another opportunity at RD. Hope he does well in the Ducks organization.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
From my perspective and I have made my view clear on Parsson

while he was good in the offensive zone he lacked the ability to play in his own zone at the NHL level. In my opinion. Marc andre Bergereon is the comparison I used.

I saw him play several times last season when Vaxjo where either one man or two men down and he did not touch the ice for the entire 2 or 4 minutes and he was rarely on the ice for a face off in his own zone. This was in European hockey and raised my alarm bells

Pre injury on the Condors he looked fine but post injury he was just horrible. Bad decisions, bad giveaways, softer than butter. He checked out or was covering for the injury. Him and Manning were the worst D on the Condors over the last 5 games.

Won’t miss him.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The only reason anyone here would logically like 'the idea' of Persson is because he is a soft, right handed defenceman who TRIES to make plays with the puck. He is trash.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I liked Persson and really wanted it to work out. I wish him the best with Anaheim. Maybe he'll have a Gustafsson-like resurgence.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He was not making the NHL team next year and made a lot of money on a one way deal. Move him and move on.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Add me to the list that thought Persson was a good addition to the org.

I thought he played "ok" on the Oilers in the short time he was on the team and I also liked that he seemed to be ok with going down to the AHL to hone his game to the NA style down there.

Maybe he wasn't happy down there, maybe Tippett/Holland weren't happy with his progress and overall game... whatever the reasons, he's gone from the org for very little back (well a 7th and an ECHL goalie is something but likely basically nothing).

I would have liked to see him stick in the org as he's a RHD in his prime with some offensive skills... which is exactly the type of dman you'd like to have available for callups etc.

It's true that with Bear/Larsson/Green/Benning/Bouchard all on the right side... the path upwards for Persson was fairly tough to navigate... and that likely played into this move to possibly simply give him a shot on another NHL club with a slightly less congested right side.

I guess a positive is that the Oilers finally have enough depth to cut ties with a player like this and hopefully it doesn't hurt them but I can understand those that have watched Schultz/Gustafsson/Marino all have decent seasons elsewhere... you feel in the back of your mind this may be yet another one that "got away". I guess Petry can be added to that list as well.

Anyway... best to look forward with what they have rather than what might/could have been.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I hope Persson figures it out. It would be a good story evolved into a great story. However--and I realize I'm likely in the minority--I don't think he looked good up here at all. I saw a guy who just couldn't handle forechecking pressure. Like, whatsoever.

I don't mean to crap on the guy. He did some things well, I won't get into them because they were evident. But being able to handle forechecking pressure is essentially a defenseman's reason for existing.

I wish him all the best. Maybe he's a quick study.

Reactions: voxel

cpl

Feb 25, 2020
Rough season with some injuries at a bad timing. Nice to see Persson gets an opportunity elsewhere in a organization that hopefully belives in him.

Some info to end some of the speculations.
1. He didn't ask for a trade himself.
2. Sadly treated poorly by the Oilers in more then one aspect, won't go in to details for obvious reasons.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Rough season with some injuries at a bad timing. Nice to see Persson gets an opportunity elsewhere in a organization that hopefully belives in him.

2. Sadly treated poorly by the Oilers in more then one aspect, won't go in to details for obvious reasons.
It's the Oilers way, used to be notorious for the way they unfairly treated certain players, looks like it still exists.
Hopefully he'll take advantage of his new opportunity, and enjoy living in California.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It would be hard to see him on the big club next year so he was likely going to be lost as a UFA at the end of next year with him going back to Sweden this year. Still it is the type of signing I don't mind. A guy with skill who might be a diamond in the rough that is a free asset that can be converted into a draft pick.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

It's the Oilers way, used to be notorious for the way they unfairly treated certain players, looks like it still exists.
Hopefully he'll take advantage of his new opportunity, and enjoy living in California.

Very interesting if true.

As I stated earlier that was my belief as well.

This stuff happens in every kind of career. Person is no longer a "fit" as someone makes up a "reason" and runs with it. I find it so bizarre.

Reactions: Zguy370

North

Jun 25, 2009
I hope Persson figures it out. It would be a good story evolved into a great story. However--and I realize I'm likely in the minority--I don't think he looked good up here at all. I saw a guy who just couldn't handle forechecking pressure. Like, whatsoever.

I don't mean to crap on the guy. He did some things well, I won't get into them because they were evident. But being able to handle forechecking pressure is essentially a defenseman's reason for existing.

I wish him all the best. Maybe he's a quick study.

That’s why he kept getting lit up and then ended up injured.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Not a good move. I bet there is upside in Persson. And a 7th round pick?? Come on!

I guess Tippet and Persson didnt mesh well... like at all.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Persson can not play D and that is the problem

maybe the oilers should have moved him to forward
He’s not a good skater. At best he’d likely be a 2021 version of Sam Gagner without the ability to think the NHL game like Sam can I’m the offensive zone.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013

I don’t buy this at all. He was below average at best in the NHL. Was sent down to work on his game and actually was even worse. Just because his feelings were hurt doesn’t mean he was mistreated. Overcoming adversity is what makes good players even better, or in Perssons case, crumble and get worse.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don’t buy this at all. He was below average at best in the NHL. Was sent down to work on his game and actually was even worse. Just because his feelings were hurt doesn’t mean he was mistreated. Overcoming adversity is what makes good players even better, or in Perssons case, crumble and get worse.

I watched him close. He was successfully playing with Klefbom against the top quality of competition.

The same quality of competition Nurse is facing right now and looking overwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong. Persson wasn't "great" and Klefbom was doing most the heavy lifting...

But.

I disagree with those saying he needed to be sent down "to work on his game". He was a big part of our early success and did well under the circumstances. Him being sent down had more to do with giving others more of an opportunity than because he was bad.

Don't know what opportunities he will get in Anaheim but I would not be surprised if we get that conditional pick next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad