Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ANA] Joel Persson for Angus Redmond and Conditional 2022 7th round pick

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Thats what I thought but we took back an echl goalie
I know it's the ECHL but that goalie we got is undefeated at 13-0 so far this season . You never know, he's young and could be our Binnington.
Didn't like the deal when initially heard it, but there's got to be a deep reason why Tippett isn't fond of him that none of us will ever know. The moves Kenny made today were excellent, I'll trust his judgement on thus one too

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not sure which one of Persson or Haas said it at the beginning of season that they would only go down to AHL for few games. It will be either NHL or Europe otherwise.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Dang, too bad. I loved the story and thought he was alright in his stint here. Agree that it was probably to give him a shot somewhere due to the bodies ahead of him. Bear coming out the way he did sealed Perssons fate imo. Sandwiched between Bear and Bouchard as puck moving righties. He needs the space to be an offensive guy to succeed imo.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not sure which one of Persson or Haas said it at the beginning of season that they would only go down to AHL for few games. It will be either NHL or Europe otherwise.

It was Haas ironically.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Keep in mind he was on a one-way deal making a million bucks whether in Edmonton or Bakersfield. This does save Katz a few bucks. I doubt he was in the plans moving forward and I bet he's back in Sweden next year anyways. Nobody is filing a missing Perssons report with the authorities over this loss.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
From my perspective and I have made my view clear on Parsson

while he was good in the offensive zone he lacked the ability to play in his own zone at the NHL level. In my opinion. Marc andre Bergereon is the comparison I used.

I saw him play several times last season when Vaxjo where either one man or two men down and he did not touch the ice for the entire 2 or 4 minutes and he was rarely on the ice for a face off in his own zone. This was in European hockey and raised my alarm bells

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Meh, forgot we even had him still.

Had a nice run at the start of the year but fell off quick when the competition ramped up.

Oilers looking hard for that diamond in the rough goaltender.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I believe it was Haas and you can blame me for that spreading (not sure if the media reported it but a few bloggers did). Reports from over here said had an agreement in place with the oiles that he would play X amount of games in the AHL and if he was for an extended time him and the oilers would have a meeting about his future

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Two different type of players. Marino is able to play the full ice and game and has a physical aspect to his game that Parrson did not have
The style are different for sure. But when Marino was traded for a 6th, most were saying Marino was a nothing prospect.

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Great story, and I still hopes he manages to carve out a decent career. I loved the back-story, but always had my doubts about Persson (although as I repeated many times ppl have doubted this kid many times before and he surprised them all). Anyhow, with Green coming in there is no way he'd be seeing more NHL time this season. I bet he kindly asked to get traded to get another shot at earning a new contract.

Good luck Persson!
And thanks for a pretty decent stretch of games at the start of the season.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
This sucks. The same thing was said about Marino when we traded him for a 6th and then he exploded into Pitts top 4 Dman not even a season later
Ya. Sucks to trade him within the division. If he went back to Sweden next year we still had his rights and if he tore it up there we should have been able to get better than a 7th round pick.

Reactions: Aerchon

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The style are different for sure. But when Marino was traded for a 6th, most were saying Marino was a nothing prospect.

If you look at the main board the day of the trade I suggested the Pens just stole a player. Saw a few uni games on line and liked what I saw--did not think he would make the jump right away

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

I remember him being a well-considered college player who was rumoured to have teams asking about him, a captain at Harvard on a dominant pairing with Adam Fox. Rumours that he might not sign with Edmonton, and then the deal, and immediate injection into Pitts top 4, even top pair during early injuries.

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Sure a lot of crying over someone who was never going to play here.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No loss for persson he was not in the plans. I have no clue as to why we would take this echl goalie.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I feel like if this actually upsets you, then you're just looking for a reason to be negative. He was very clearly not going to get the chance here anymore and in no way hurts the team in the short or long term.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm confused about all the love for Persson. It was a nice story of his rise from obscurity to the NHL but he's a dime a dozen player who was the victim of a numbers game here even with Green gone next season. It's a nothing move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad