Rumor: Edler to his UFA market

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Gonna miss him.

without stacked bad contracts we would have been able to sign him and have him finish his career in Vancouver.

the Vancouver Canucks are now facing the consequences of their other bad signings. Well done mr.benning. Awful gm.

Best of luck eagle.

my guess is he stays in the western conference. Wife is from Vancouver. Most likely one of the Cali teams , Vegas or Seattle.

Reactions: Mr4legs

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
When he was younger, I always thought that if he left Vancouver he’d be a perfect fit in Detroit.

See many are saying Tampa, but unless they lose McDonagh, there’s no room on the left side for Edler.

Would strongly consider him for the Jets.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Edler was absolutely a warrior for the Canucks. Franchise leader for dmen in *how* many areas?

Too bad he couldn't have stuck around and retire a Canuck but I can't blame him for moving on. The last member of the best Canucks team ever iced.

A lot has been said about Edler and Tanev's durability over the years but a huge part of why is that they were both hugely over-relied upon. As the years went on they were just driven into the ground, but much as Flames fans liked Tanev in a reduced role, so will whoever gets Edler. I'd go maybe in the $1 to $2 range, one year, 3rd pairing steady vet role, don't expect the world out of him...he'll be great. He's still got a couple of years left if he's given easy minutes. Any team that does so will be very happy with what they've got.

Later, Eddie. See you at the beach. ;)

cut.jpg

Reactions: Intoewsables

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He's going to be a steal if he signs for under $2m and plays on the third pairing. He can fill in on PK and eat minutes still - especially at that price

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If he wants to stay close to Vancouver and play with a ton of Swedes, Calgary might have a LHD spot to fill if Gio goes to Seattle.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
no I don’t at all. I think he was a very very good defensman that was used as a #1 for 15 years and that was stretching it. He lacked the physicality , mean streak and heavy shot to ever be a true #1.

You’re throwing the word “warrior” out because he “never publicly complained” and I’m calling that a ridiculous standard for the term warrior.

He was a long tenured player that was very good until he lost his foot speed after his back injuries. That being said let’s not use the word warrior. He wasn’t standing up for team mates after late hits, he wasn’t playing thru injuries like some do, etc etc. He was a good hockey player. Not a warrior.
Not a ridiculous standard at all, it’s a pretty common theme to say people say the same about other players

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Something tells me its going to be with Calgary. Tanev will bring him in.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I liked him earlier in his career when he was in the playoffs and went into everyone should die mode and tried to kill people.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he's willing to sign for under $2 million then he should be staying in Vancouver.
Family decision as well. He has kids so like most ufas his age that may be a factor in what he chooses to do especially if the term is very short between 1/2 years.
Either move the family or keep in where they are while the player lives 8/9 months of the year away from them.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
If he's willing to sign for under $2 million then he should be staying in Vancouver.
It’s still on the table, but he clearly is tired of losing going into the 11th straight season of basement dwelling. Something clicked and it is no coincidence.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s still on the table, but he clearly is tired of losing going into the 11th straight season of basement dwelling. Something clicked and it is no coincidence.
It’s also likely just a 1 year deal from Vancouver. Maybe he finds another team to give him term. He won’t get term from a contender.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Probably harder to determine the best fit for him until after the expansion draft. Sounds like Boston is a good fit as they might likely lose a defenseman? I like that fit for him as with a real #1 in McAvoy he probably won't have to play all the tough minutes. Playing on Boston won't be an issue and as a fan I'd personally be happy for him if he went on to win the cup with them. My anger toward the Bruins has been correctly directed internally to my own team.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
If he was willing to sign under $2 million, then I would have taken him back on the Canucks. However, I think he's hoping for a 2 year/$3-4 million deal. If he signs early in free agency, I expect to see him around that mark. If he signs later, I think a team would take him between the $2-3 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad