Rumor: Edler to his UFA market

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Bit of everything. Age has certainly taken its toll, but the whole team was bad last year; combine that with Edler being forced to play too much due to poor defensive depth.

If a strong team can bring him in for relatively cheap to play on their bottom pair, they'll be very happy with what they get.
I'm sure the Canucks agree. If his agent agreed, he likely would be re-signed by now. Edler will want to get paid like a top 4D. And someone will pay him and give him multiple years of term.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd try to sign him for the Leafs bottom pairing, if only to stop him injuring our players ...though, he'd prob take one out in practice instead

From a fan perspective that would be a smart place for him but if Edler is having a hard time coming to terms with Vancouver he's not going to sign somewhere else at a bottom pairing rate.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm sure the Canucks agree. If his agent agreed, he likely would be re-signed by now. Edler will want to get paid like a top 4D. And someone will pay him and give him multiple years of term.

Doesn't make any sense for the Canucks to sign him at this time.

It'd be a wasted protection slot and we have other issues to address.

It's the right call for both sides to reconvene later in the off-season if need be.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
From a fan perspective that would be a smart place for him but if Edler is having a hard time coming to terms with Vancouver he's not going to sign somewhere else at a bottom pairing rate.
i wouldnt expect him to either, unless its TB

Yannickg

May 8, 2019
Their is rumors around that say their is already a deal for Schmidt after the e-draft.
Last t year Benning tried to trade for OEL. If Edler is gone you need someone to replace him.
At the tdl this year someone propose OEL to vancouver for Virtanen, Ericksson,Rousel and a third round and it was very well received. now i don’t remember who was the poster maybe someone will recognize it.
Now i suggest OEL (15%r.s),Dvorack for Virtanen,Beagle,Ericksson,Schimdt and a 3 round pick
Yes or no

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Edler is still OK. He was not able to excel playing big minutes last year. He could be an asset for a contender playing 15 mins per game.

Canucks had an awful D last year, obviously change is needed. Letting Edler walk, and potentially trading Schmidt will bring that change.

I hope Edler wins a cup and then comes back to Van for his Ring of Honour ceremony.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...welcome to La Belle Province, Mr. Edler...I'd like to introduce you to Ben Chiarot; he's the guy who you're going to be mopping up after constantly...

Reactions: YP44

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
i mean he was always going to "test" ufa. the canucks wouldnt sign him until after the expansion draft anyways

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I could see Toronto as a fit. Players who have proven they can perform in a Canadian market ought to be worth their weight in gold to Toronto. The Leafs will have a hole on their defense after expansion too.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Would be a perfect fit but I would be shocked if Edler went to Boston after 2011- would probably be more hated than Kesler in the Vancouver market if that's where he decides to go.

Its been 10 years bruh. I highly doubt anyone remembers that anymore

Reactions: Curufinwe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes sense, wants to retire a Canucks, but only if we pay him to.
Good to see what is out there. Offer would have to be big given it would require him to move to another city. He’s never wanted to leave Vancouver. He’s not a ring chaser otherwise he would have left already.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
He needs to walk.. had a real good season but he's just that guy that seems to always get hurt... would hate to see Nucks get handcuffed signing him again

Time to move on

Real bad season you mean?

I like Edler but wouldn't pay him more than 1-2 mill on a short term deal.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Didn't watch much hockey outside the Pacific last year- how was he last year. Looked like he played top 4 minutes, but his scoring fell off a cliff. Has age caught up with him, or was the drop not indicative of his play?

He looked old last year. . Serviceable as a bottom pair D who should be given some nights off throughout the year . . $2 million on a 2 year deal tops

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Would be a perfect fit but I would be shocked if Edler went to Boston after 2011- would probably be more hated than Kesler in the Vancouver market if that's where he decides to go.

I highly doubt it. . Kesler is an actual piece of shit, Edler’s a good dude

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
edler is a homebody.

he's either going to a serious contender for a cup run, or else he's been dangled a too good to turn down retirement deal.

if neither of those things, then there must be a serious problem in vancouver to make him want to leave.

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He can still play. Ideally a bottom pair role on a contender.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Edler is still OK. He was not able to excel playing big minutes last year. He could be an asset for a contender playing 15 mins per game.

Canucks had an awful D last year, obviously change is needed. Letting Edler walk, and potentially trading Schmidt will bring that change.

I hope Edler wins a cup and then comes back to Van for his Ring of Honour ceremony.
What change man? You want us to finish last overall? We already have a bad defence. Getting rid of 2 defencemen who can play defence is not a good ideea. Harmonic is also not coming back He gave us a freebie last year. You want Hughes-Myers to go vs top lines? It;s not like we have players ready to replace them. If you can sign Edler at 3m/2 years, yo do it.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
What change man? You want us to finish last overall? We already have a bad defence. Getting rid of 2 defencemen who can play defence is not a good ideea. Harmonic is also not coming back He gave us a freebie last year. You want Hughes-Myers to go vs top lines? It;s not like we have players ready to replace them. If you can sign Edler at 3m/2 years, yo do it.

Huh? If you have a bad D 1 year, then bring back the same the next , you really expect it to just be better?

Schmidt and Edler made 12 mil last year, and neither were good enough defensively, not even close. There are many younger LHD who are light years ahead of where Edler is at defensively available in UFA. He is very replaceable. I'd like to see Schmidt back, with much different deployment. With that said, if we could land Adam Larsson for 4.5 or 5, I'd deal Schmidt for assets.

How do you know what Hamonic is going to do? Is he going to be sub 2 mill, no, but worth keeping. He was a good fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad