Rumor: Edler to his UFA market

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kind of a weird time in his career to go to market. He's a couple years away from retiring a lifelong Canuck, and realistically...out on the open market, it's hard to see him getting anything other than those same sort of ~$2M x 1-2 year sort of offers that the Canucks could probably offer. It's not like he's poised to go cash in big somewhere, like he potentially could've done at previous contract opportunities.

If he wants to go "Cup Hunting", that's cool. It just seems like a strange turn, from a player who has previously maintained that he wants to do that right at home in Vancouver above all else. But that's his prerogative.

Kind of wonder if one of two things is factoring into this:

1)The Sedins coming on board and encouraging him to try his hand at the freelance gig, maybe expressing regret that they never did get a chance to see what life is like outside the Canucks?

2)Tired of playing for Travis Green, who is not a very good coach at all? Maybe the lack of structure and coherent system has worn on him? Edler has always seemed at his best, and thrived when playing under very structured coaching.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
An absolute warrior, injuries and age have taken over your game though Edler. You’ll always be remembered fondly if you end up on another team. Great player

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Play him like a bottom pair guy that can fill in for 2nd pair if there’s injuries and some team will be happy. Good luck.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
An absolute warrior, injuries and age have taken over your game though Edler. You’ll always be remembered fondly if you end up on another team. Great player

Not sure I call him a warrior. He had a long tenure here and was drafted and developed here. He played a long time and ate a lot of minutes.

if he was injured he would sit. I don’t think he was ever the type to play thru injuries like some (kesler).

he will go up in the ring of horror.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
On a good team he would be fine on the second pairing. Players have a tendency to play the way the team plays.
He’s worth 3 mill easy

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Not sure I call him a warrior. He had a long tenure here and was drafted and developed here. He played a long time and ate a lot of minutes.

if he was injured he would sit. I don’t think he was ever the type to play thru injuries like some (kesler).

he will go up in the ring of horror.
He stuck with us through the good and bad times. Always played without a public complaint. To me that’s a warrior

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He stuck with us through the good and bad times. Always played without a public complaint. To me that’s a warrior

Our definitions of warrior are very different. Your definition of it is very …2021.

“he never publicly complained” - what a warrior.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Last Nuck left from the 2009-2011 Hawks vs Nuck days

Like Keith with Hawks it will be odd not see him on Nucks blueline after 15 years playing for Nucks
Those were good year's for our teams, I know the hawks have hated rivalries but for the Nucks it's easily my favourite.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
you’re casually leaving out the most important part of my statement

Not casually , I did it on purpose to not embarrass you, but here we are….

You listed 2 reasons you consider Edler a “warrior”.

1) he never complained in the media (lol).
2) the statement you wanna talk about …. “Stuck with us thru good and bad times” …. Except he didn’t. You realize he is signing elsewhere because this is a bad time. His agent said it wasn’t to do with the Canucks offer , but being the shits over the last 10 years plays a roll.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Not casually , I did it on purpose to not embarrass you, but here we are….

You listed 2 reasons you consider Edler a “warrior”.

1) he never complained in the media (lol).
2) the statement you wanna talk about …. “Stuck with us thru good and bad times” …. Except he didn’t. You realize he is signing elsewhere because this is a bad time. His agent said it wasn’t to do with the Canucks offer , but being the shits over the last 10 years plays a roll.
Sticking with a team for 10 years after they were relevant is a pretty damn big thing. Easily a warrior

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
I could see Toronto as a fit. Players who have proven they can perform in a Canadian market ought to be worth their weight in gold to Toronto. The Leafs will have a hole on their defense after expansion too.

He wants to win a cup so no.

Reactions: ziploc

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Sticking with a team for 10 years after they were relevant is a pretty damn big thing. Easily a warrior

ohhhhh he was doing charity work was he? We should all chip in and start a go fund me for him.

Also you can’t make a claim that he’s a “warrior” for sticking with a team when he literally chose not to stick with the team today. A murderer never murdered anyone for 10 years …. But then he did. What is he?

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
ohhhhh he was doing charity work was he? We should all chip in and start a go fund me for him.

Also you can’t make a claim that he’s a “warrior” for sticking with a team when he literally chose not to stick with the team today. A murderer never murdered anyone for 10 years …. But then he did. What is he?
You really must dislike Edler

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hmm. If Stralman doesn't get moved, can he convince him to come to FLA for cheap on a 1 year deal? 1.35 mil?

118 blocked shots in 52 games and 3.5 mins on the PK. FLA needs help on the PK in a big way.
We can give him maintenance days to rest up during the year

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You really must dislike Edler

no I don’t at all. I think he was a very very good defensman that was used as a #1 for 15 years and that was stretching it. He lacked the physicality , mean streak and heavy shot to ever be a true #1.

You’re throwing the word “warrior” out because he “never publicly complained” and I’m calling that a ridiculous standard for the term warrior.

He was a long tenured player that was very good until he lost his foot speed after his back injuries. That being said let’s not use the word warrior. He wasn’t standing up for team mates after late hits, he wasn’t playing thru injuries like some do, etc etc. He was a good hockey player. Not a warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad