Confirmed with Link: Eddie Lack (50% retained), Ryan Murphy, 2019 7th for Keegan Kanzig & 2019 6th

May 27, 2012
Earth
So does this mean I have to embrace Hughson's "Legend of Lack" now?

:laugh:

Never thought my terrible photoshop of Lack would be relevant again.

khvdEXp.jpg

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I'll take it. Hopefully a change of scenery for Ryan Murphy can help him. Lack should be decent. I remember him being pretty good for VAN.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So, that's three LHD prospects gone in short order in Hickey, Culkin and now Kanzig. Still lots left though: Kylington, Valimaki, Ollas-Mattsson, Healey, Falkovsky (hopefully) in addition to Wotherspoon and Kulak.

Really, really hope Treliving didn't make all these moves just to ice a bottom-pairing of Bartkowski and Murphy, two low-IQ terrible defensively AHL'ers. Would almost negate the addition of Hamonic; yes that's how bad it would be.

Lack is probably a better bet to rebound than Murphy, as the latter would actually have had to be good in the first place.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Murphy better not be pencilled in as a 5, 6, or 7. He's horrible defensively and he's not playing PP ahead of Giordano, Hamilton, or Brodie. He better be destined for the AHL or pressbox.

We have at least 3 better options sitting in the AHL right now in Kulak, Andersson and Wotherspoon.
Penciling in, is a fan/media concept. Murphy will Ave to earn his spot like everyone else

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I thought lack was very good and had a strong future with Vancouver but he fell off the map with Carolina. We'll see if he can get it back. If not rittich is in the waiting, which I'm comfortable enough with.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not pretending to know much about Murphy, but his underlyings for the past three seasons are okay for a #7:

zrwri4r.png

Seems the biggest issue is just that Carolina didn't score when he was on the ice... which might not be his fault, on account of he's a defenseman.

Can't comment on IQ or any of that stuff. That'd have to be judged with eyes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Murphy is NOT good.

Hard to say. He could be the kind of guy that really benefits from a change of scenery. He has a lot of talent to play with in Brodie, Dougie, and Gio can only be a good thing. I am cautiously optimistic. He has holes in his defensive game, but he's an NHL player, which is something Kulak has not done yet.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seems the biggest issue is just that Carolina didn't score when he was on the ice... which might not be his fault, on account of he's a defenseman.

Can't comment on IQ or any of that stuff. That'd have to be judged with eyes.

I don't think IQ has ever been an issue. It's more been that he gets outmuscled in his own end.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hard to say. He could be the kind of guy that really benefits from a change of scenery. He has a lot of talent to play with in Brodie, Dougie, and Gio can only be a good thing. I am cautiously optimistic. He has holes in his defensive game, but he's an NHL player, which is something Kulak has not done yet.

Well,
a88d6f15162473745ff60d4187e5428b10a062e05f0470bc86c419224c6f757c.jpg

Lack loses out on the backup job to Gillies or Rittich and Murphy loses out to Kulak or Andersson. Not a whole lot of downside there, but we got some warm bodies to bring competition and to fill in if need.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I didn't even know that Lack got sent down last season. The back-up position really is there for the taking

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't like this trade. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I really don't like it. I get the cost was next to nothing, but...

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Gulutzan clearly played a huge role in this acquisition.

That familiarity and trust will go a long way with Lack and his confidence.

Smart trade.

Right, I completely forgot about that connection. Good catch.

Carolina clearing capspace for that Draisaitl offersheet. :naughty:

In that case, I LOVE this trade! :laugh:

:laugh:

Never thought my terrible photoshop of Lack would be relevant again.

khvdEXp.jpg

:laugh: Well, that's one Flames of Thrones avatar that doesn't need to be done hahaha

Ryan Murphy: Dennis Wideman 2.0

Bleh

People like to **** on Dennis Wideman, but if he were making Ryan Murphy money, they'd have a lot less to say.

I didn't even know that Lack got sent down last season. The back-up position really is there for the taking

Yeah, and with Bill Peters calling him out publicly like he did last season his confidence is pretty shot right now. I'm sure good guy Gulutzan can build it back up.

At best, I feel this is a pretty low risk, high reward move if he can get back to his Vancouver form and win us a few games. At the very worse, we send him to the minors and call up one of Gillies or Rittich and it doesn't cost us much. If he does **** the bed none of us can say we didn't see it coming. But say what you will about him, he will keep the locker room light. Even though I disliked him for the Canucks jersey he wore, there's no denying he's a pretty likeable guy.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
The more i think about it, the more i dislike Trelivings approach of throwing darts and hail mary's at has beens (lack, brouwer, smith) or never was (murphy, bart, grossman, chiasson, johnson, bollig, raymond) never seems to work out.

He seems to be unable to identify "unsung talent" like Messerschault or even Kassian (puke but he is effective). Hell, even Feaster identified effective unsung heros in Byron and Russell, not to mention hit the jackpot with Hudler.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The more i think about it, the more i dislike Trelivings approach of throwing darts and hail mary's at has beens (lack, brouwer, smith) or never was (murphy, bart, grossman, chiasson, johnson, bollig, raymond) never seems to work out.

He seems to be unable to identify "unsung talent" like Messerschault or even Kassian (puke but he is effective). Hell, even Feaster identified effective unsung heros in Byron and Russell, not to mention hit the jackpot with Hudler.

Versteeg, Stone and even Johnson worked out pretty well. Chiasson was decent and I've got high hopes for Lazar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad