Confirmed with Link: Eddie Lack (50% retained), Ryan Murphy, 2019 7th for Keegan Kanzig & 2019 6th

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The more i think about it, the more i dislike Trelivings approach of throwing darts and hail mary's at has beens (lack, brouwer, smith) or never was (murphy, bart, grossman, chiasson, johnson, bollig, raymond) never seems to work out.

He seems to be unable to identify "unsung talent" like Messerschault or even Kassian (puke but he is effective). Hell, even Feaster identified effective unsung heros in Byron and Russell, not to mention hit the jackpot with Hudler.

Hamilton, Frolik, Versteeg, Stone, Chiasson etc. He's rolled the dice on plenty of good talent, you can't crack home runs with every move. How many "unsung heroes" is he supposed to find a year? Is there a quota? And besides, he obviously pulls the trigger, but the Flames pro scouts should have more to do with identifying talent.

And what's the alternative? Try nothing?

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Versteeg was passable, he paid a 3rd rounder for few weeks of Stone and Johnson was good for a month. Couldnt give the team anything once Elliott fell apart.

Jury still out on Lazar.

If thats Tre's best thats mighty unimpressive.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The more i think about it, the more i dislike Trelivings approach of throwing darts and hail mary's at has beens (lack, brouwer, smith) or never was (murphy, bart, grossman, chiasson, johnson, bollig, raymond) never seems to work out.

He seems to be unable to identify "unsung talent" like Messerschault or even Kassian (puke but he is effective). Hell, even Feaster identified effective unsung heros in Byron and Russell, not to mention hit the jackpot with Hudler.

Have Hamonic and Dougie have been awful? Maybe he should wake up and spend assets at filling complimentary roles instead of spending next to nothing to get them. :sarcasm:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if Murphy replaces TSpoon? Lack I think is the vet goalie in AHL. McCollum could have been that guy though too.....
Kanzing was going to be in a battle to even make the AHL team, so it's not like we gave up anything, but I don't know what to think about Lack & Murphy.....Would have rather of just rolled with what we have.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
This kinda has that precursor something else feel to it. I don't think anyone would be happy heading into next season with a Bart/Kulak-Murphy bottom pairing.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't mind this trade. I mean sure, it feels like Deadpool yelling MAXIMUM EFFORT! But it is acceptable.

I have a soft spot for Kanzig. He's been passed by many on the depth chart. He's a physical defensive dman who found a little bit of offense later in his development. A few individuals who go to many prospect camps often remarked that Kanzig improved year after year, even if he wasn't near the top in terms of talent. He's supposedly decent enough in hockey IQ that he could make it if he stuck around long enough. I'd want to bet that he's the type of guy who finally makes it to the NHL when he's in his late 20s or early 30s. He definitely was drafted way too high, but as a long shot 6th or 7th rounder type of project, he's not bad to have as a scratch card. Although Carolina fans tell us not to expect much from Murphy, I think many of us expect he's already superior to Kanzig with about the same odds to benefit from a change of scenery. I think the two are of reasonably equal value, but Murphy is sitting in a puddle deep level of depth in terms of RHS Dman and thus has more value to us.

With Lack added, we are paying a pittance for our goaltender tandem. I believe our org pays 2/3 and Carolina/Arizona pay 1/3. That's not bad at all. I'm also guessing Treliving doesn't stop looking for goaltender upgrades.

Random: Ryan Murphy has a weird shaped head and even worse hairstyle.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
How anyone can be down on this trade blows my mind.

We gave up Keegan Kanzig, a guy who won't even be an AHL bottom pairing D-man and a 6th.

We bent Carolina over here even if Murphy and Lack never play an NHL game for the Flames and played in the AHL all year.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't mind this trade. I mean sure, it feels like Deadpool yelling MAXIMUM EFFORT! But it is acceptable.

I have a soft spot for Kanzig. He's been passed by many on the depth chart. He's a physical defensive dman who found a little bit of offense later in his development. A few individuals who go to many prospect camps often remarked that Kanzig improved year after year, even if he wasn't near the top in terms of talent. He's supposedly decent enough in hockey IQ that he could make it if he stuck around long enough. I'd want to bet that he's the type of guy who finally makes it to the NHL when he's in his late 20s or early 30s. He definitely was drafted way too high, but as a long shot 6th or 7th rounder type of project, he's not bad to have as a scratch card. Although Carolina fans tell us not to expect much from Murphy, I think many of us expect he's already superior to Kanzig with about the same odds to benefit from a change of scenery. I think the two are of reasonably equal value, but Murphy is sitting in a puddle deep level of depth in terms of RHS Dman and thus has more value to us.

With Lack added, we are paying a pittance for our goaltender tandem. I believe our org pays 2/3 and Carolina/Arizona pay 1/3. That's not bad at all. I'm also guessing Treliving doesn't stop looking for goaltender upgrades.

Random: Ryan Murphy has a weird shaped head and even worse hairstyle.

It's not the shape of head, his eyes point outward, slightly off centre!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not really, Murphy may or may not ever be good enough to stick in the NHL. He's on a one way deal, so some of his salary still counts against the cap, if he isn't good enough. Lack + the salary from Murphy would be about, what most expected to pay for a back up much higher on the list. It could turn out good or it could be about $1.8 million in dead cap, time will tell. It was more of a gamble, than a clear win, IMO but it didn't cost us assets.

One way / two way deals means nothing in regard to salary cap and his cap hit. Just means he makes more money in the minors.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Rob Vollman‏ @robvollmanNHL
Just noticed that 2 of the 3 goalies who climb the 3-Yr SV% rankings the most when adjusting for shot quality are Lack and Smith.

Not 100% sure what this means, but I think it's pretty good?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Rob Vollman‏ @robvollmanNHL
Just noticed that 2 of the 3 goalies who climb the 3-Yr SV% rankings the most when adjusting for shot quality are Lack and Smith.

They cant stop easy shots? :sarcasm:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Lack just got married in Greece lol. He must be ecstatic to hear the news he'll be going to a better team. Too bad Lindholm (Who attended the wedding of course) didn't come to the Flames. :cry::cry::cry:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I can't understand how people are debating if this is a good deal or not when they are also arguing if Murphy will make the team or not when we traded Keegan Freaking Kanzig for him! This is a straight up upgrade on assets across the board. How these assets are deployed are up to coaches and management but we win this trade big time. Good job Treliving!

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Rob Vollman†@robvollmanNHL

It means they've faced (or stops) more "high danger" shots like Smith has, which since they are harder to stop hurt his sv% more. Where as a goalie that faces (or stops) more "low danger" shots like Lehner, their SV% is artificially inflated.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Murphy > Kulak TBH, I'm thinking the Flames are thinking the same.

What a fantastic deal, shipping out basically nothing, and we get back a decent backup and a bottom pairing D. Also, Murphy looked bad on Carolina because of all the depth they have. Murphy has some defenicies in his game, but he can skate, pass, move the puck and has some upside.

Yeah, I agree, there's at least an open competition between the two for 1 spot. Murphy also offers more upside, Kulak ceiling is so low it's hardly worth developing him.

I like the deal, goalies can be so situation dependent and Lack played his best in a high-pressure Canadian environment.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Somebody mentioned it in the thread on the trade board, but I didn't realize how much better Lack was after returning from injury. He returned in February and after returning he was 7-5-2 with a .915 SV% and 2.32 GAA. It's a smaller sample size for sure, but at the same time those number are reminiscent of his time in Vancouver.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
This is just something that I clued into, I used to have one of the Carolina Hurricanes scouts stay at my last hotel, when we were talking (a few years ago now), he actually thought Kanzig had alot of potential. SO maybe the Canes still like him.

Aug 21, 2014
This is just something that I clued into, I used to have one of the Carolina Hurricanes scouts stay at my last hotel, when we were talking (a few years ago now), he actually thought Kanzig had alot of potential. SO maybe the Canes still like him.

Rod Brind'Amour probably likes Kanzig a lot. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->