Confirmed with Link: Eddie Lack (50% retained), Ryan Murphy, 2019 7th for Keegan Kanzig & 2019 6th

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If Lack bounces back, great, we'll be laughing.

But ultimately I don't like the idea of the Lack from last year being the first in line if Smith goes down.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I really hope playing the long game with Gillies/Parsons pays off in the end because I get the sense we're gonna see all four of Smith, Lack, Rittich, and Gillies play games for us at one point this season

Aug 21, 2014
tumblr_nmzg4n3Wk61r7exryo1_1280.gif

:laugh:

we have our #6 d-man and our backup.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Murphy > Kulak TBH, I'm thinking the Flames are thinking the same.

What a fantastic deal, shipping out basically nothing, and we get back a decent backup and a bottom pairing D. Also, Murphy looked bad on Carolina because of all the depth they have. Murphy has some defenicies in his game, but he can skate, pass, move the puck and has some upside.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Interesting. Flames have their backup.

But both Murphy and Lack leave a lot to be desired. Shame one of Bouma or Stajan couldn't have been dumped in this deal. Would rather that that salary retention.

Would much rather have Andersson than Murphy.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
So we got our backup and a warm body for the bottom pairing. For practically nothing.

Still
tenor.gif

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
At least this time we'll only be experimenting with our bottom pairing in the season opener and not the whole damn Dcorps

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Murphy > Kulak TBH, I'm thinking the Flames are thinking the same.

What a fantastic deal, shipping out basically nothing, and we get back a decent backup and a bottom pairing D. Also, Murphy looked bad on Carolina because of all the depth they have. Murphy has some defenicies in his game, but he can skate, pass, move the puck and has some upside.

Murphy is NOT good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Murphy is a reclamation project that was in need of a change of scenery. This is what HF had to say about him a couple years back:
Murphy is one of the league’s premier offensive defenseman prospects. He has all the tools to become a power play quarterback and consistently create scoring chances. A bit undersized, he sometimes has trouble with larger forwards and has struggled positionally in his own end at times. He will need to improve in that area and possibly add some strength and bulk to compete at the NHL level on a full-time basis.

Lack will get a chance to rebound after a terrible year, we will see how that plays out. But moving down from the 6th to 7th round for Lack at 50% and a swap of Kanzig for Murphy is actually pretty solid value IMO.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A post on the Trades section mentioned that Lack's had success while practicing with the Canucks goalie coach but suffered with the Canes goalie coach.

If anything, there is finally an opportunity to assess Sigalet's work with the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A post on the Trades section mentioned that Lack's had success while practicing with the Canucks goalie coach but suffered with the Canes goalie coach.

If anything, there is finally an opportunity to assess Sigalet's work with the team.
There is no way for an outsider to accurately assess the work of a goalie coach.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Two reclamation projects for literally nothing on our end?

Love this deal. I bet at least one of these guys pans out.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Lack bounces back, great, we'll be laughing.

But ultimately I don't like the idea of the Lack from last year being the first in line if Smith goes down.

It's a nothing for nothing trade but you brought up a valid concern.

BT went all in with the deals so far....win or go home...I cant even want to imagine the alternative.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would assume Lack will wear #31. Murphy will have a new # as he wore #7 in Carolina, he wore #24 in Junior, which is Hamonic's number but wore #6 in Charlotte, so that would be a possibility.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Gulutzan clearly played a huge role in this acquisition.

That familiarity and trust will go a long way with Lack and his confidence.

Smart trade.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I gotta say this though.. Treliving is going IN, filling holes and making moves. This offseason will be defining moment for him with the Flames, good or bad.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Murphy better not be pencilled in as a 5, 6, or 7. He's horrible defensively and he's not playing PP ahead of Giordano, Hamilton, or Brodie. He better be destined for the AHL or pressbox.

We have at least 3 better options sitting in the AHL right now in Kulak, Andersson and Wotherspoon.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

Bennett: 3yr x 3.25 AAV
Ferland: 2yr x 2.5 AAV
Lazar: 1yr x 1

Leaves us 5.62 million to be spent either on another forward if we wanted to land a big name, or to be split up between a few if we want to re-sign Michael Stone rather than roll with Murphy on the third pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad