ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | WSH leads 2-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
What time is puck drop? Dont have the kid tonight so I can get a bit weird.

Im thinking KBS and Maine Lunch would pair nicely with my alien monster cookie greens. Might go buy the Pax 3.

All good things.

edit - anyone got any special drinks, greens or food lined up for tonight?

Randyne

May 20, 2012
TIL you can use 'davai' for just about anything in Russian.

"I have some terrible news... I'm afraid, you are HIV.. davai" ":).... :confused:... :eek:....:)....:confused:.....:eek:"
Well literally "Davai" means "Give" but has many variations in different situations.
Davai-davai! = Faster!
Davai knigu = Give the book
"Poka!" — "Nu, Davai!" = "Bye!" — "Bye!"
"Hochesh poiti v kino?" — "Davai!" = "Want to go to cinema?" — "Let's go!"

Last edited:

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Weird, all the talk from Canes fans ITT and elsewhere has been about how the Caps are the only team that has taken any cheap shots and the poor Canes would be up 3-0 if it weren’t for officials ignoring the Caps dirty play.
One post. You go find me ONE post from a Canes' fan stating that.

Funny, cause all I hear from every single caps' fan on the board and off the board - in the entire world - is that the caps are the superior team and are simply playing piss poor and IF they "woke up" the series would have already been over and the Canes would forfeit game 4. Also, the officials are missing every call from the dirty Canes' hits. You know, the game misconduct hit, the elbow.

Wow how bad does that sound when directed toward your fanbase? Your post was really, really bad. Embarrassing bad. 2 minutes for turrible bad.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I'm not the one getting dunked on 5 times a page
LOL! Nobody has laid a glove on me while you repeatedly try to rewrite the unwritten rules of fighting to support your seemingly random narrative. I see lots of Caps fans insisting that this is non-issue, yet unable to stop posting about it. Truly funny.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Ovi was there, Rod wasn’t

Unless he followed up his initial press conference stating he spoke with Svech about who started it, I’m 90% sure he just watched the video like Canes fans and had his opinion
Guess you missed it. Brindy did say he spoke to Svech about it. So there's that...

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
TIL you can use 'davai' for just about anything in Russian.

"I have some terrible news... I'm afraid, you are HIV.. davai" ":).... :confused:... :eek:....:)....:confused:.....:eek:"
My girl is Kazakh and I hear her use davai a lot but mostly like we use yeah/ok/sure in English

Reactions: Randyne

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Brind'Amour did speak with Svech about it and Brind'Amour said that 100% Ovechkin was lying.

Best of Adam and Joe (April 16th, 2019) :: WRALSportsFan.com - feel free to listen yourself.
He said in vague terms “that’s not what happened” about “what the media is saying”

He also said “in my opinion”
“I’m too emotional”
And especially “I think” a lot

The most I get out of that is the Svech didn’t specifically, explicitly ask. Okay, I can accept that. But I find it hard to believe he was a reluctant fighter from *following, slashing, punching (before gloves dropped), nodding his head just before the gloves dropped while they locked up.

I don’t think they were talking about something completely unrelated and then Ovi caught him 100% off guard dropping his gloves.

And I said in an earlier post, there was not nearly as much time between their gloves dropping as some people make it seem. The guy was able to get ready and protect himself before Ovi got a solid swing in.

There are a number of things Svech could have done differently, a number of things he did that would have many players wanting (and after a certain point, expecting) fights. * AND HE COULD HAVE TURTLED if he did not want to fight the big man.

Why I also pondered earlier where do we want to define “instigating”, cuz that whole scrum was unnecessary, as was him throwing glove punches back at Ovi then nodding... like it or not Svech is a grown man who can make his own decisions, and it very much looks like he made some sort of decision here. He did not look remotely scared or intimidated. It’s not Ovi’s responsibility to be a saint, or to allow a guy to follow him around slashing him and whatnot. Even if he did it earlier in the series, it’s all part of hockey.

He lost a fight fair and square, and he was far from 0% instigating there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
One post. You go find me ONE post from a Canes' fan stating that.

Funny, cause all I hear from every single caps' fan on the board and off the board - in the entire world - is that the caps are the superior team and are simply playing piss poor and IF they "woke up" the series would have already been over and the Canes would forfeit game 4. Also, the officials are missing every call from the dirty Canes' hits. You know, the game misconduct hit, the elbow.

Wow how bad does that sound when directed toward your fanbase? Your post was really, really bad. Embarrassing bad. 2 minutes for turrible bad.
Well, I am a fan of the Caps and I do feel on paper the Caps do have the better all around team. That however does not mean a damn thing. The Canes seem like they never go away and fight to the bitter end no matter what. This series is going to hard fought to the end and I thought that once I saw the match up. Calls will happen throughout the series on both sides and I can choose to whine and disagree with them, but in the end the games will continue to go one. Play the games boys and whoever nets more goals in the end will come out on top.

Buffy

Apr 20, 2012
If you need me to snip and paste it I'll gladly do it for you. He was called for a penalty. Check the boxscore and maybe do it prior to puffing up and being wrong. It's not a great look to be wrong when being condescending.
Well I already said I MISSED IT. oh golly I made a mistake, must grovel forever. check responses before you get all puffed up. Unless you really want this to go on your tombstone.
Hope the Caps wake up and get this over with.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Guess you missed it. Brindy did say he spoke to Svech about it. So there's that...
That’s why I said “unless” I missed it, inviting someone to inform me if he did in fact mention it later (preferably with a source, as the earlier person did)

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'm hoping for some bad blood tonight. No injuries because that always sucks, but massive hits, maybe another fight, some scrums. These playoffs have felt too tame (or maybe it felt that way since the Pens rolled over).

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
What time is puck drop? Dont have the kid tonight so I can get a bit weird.

Im thinking KBS and Maine Lunch would pair nicely with my alien monster cookie greens. Might go buy the Pax 3.

All good things.

edit - anyone got any special drinks, greens or food lined up for tonight?

The Hurricane Bong?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We may not have protected Svech, but we will avenge him.

We're coming for you Ovie. Right after Backstrom gets his comeuppance.

Ahoy there

Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Well, I am a fan of the Caps and I do feel on paper the Caps do have the better all around team. That however does not mean a damn thing. The Canes seem like they never go away and fight to the bitter end no matter what. This series is going to hard fought to the end and I thought that once I saw the match up. Calls will happen throughout the series on both sides and I can choose to whine and disagree with them, but in the end the games will continue to go one. Play the games boys and whoever nets more goals in the end will come out on top.
Refreshing! I'd agree that on paper you roster is better - no argument from most Canes' fans I believe. The stretches where you dominated and put up 3/2 in 10 minutes of period 1 in games 1 & 2 were evidence of what it looks like when the caps enforce their will upon the Canes. I'm not willing to say that those stretches were due to the Canes playing poorly. They made mistakes, but did so because of the pressure of the Caps.

Conversely, when the caps have looked like they need to "wake up" - a commonly used phrase ITT - it isn't because they are playing poorly or coasting or doing just enough because they know they can win at any point they decide to (also excuses found ITT.) No. It's because that's what it looks like when the Canes exert their will upon the caps.

As for officiating - it's been fair. Penalties have been missed on both sides and penalties have been called.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Saying that we know our team can play better (they can) doesn't imply we think we should be walking all over the Hurricanes. They just have another gear and we know it.

I'm aware that part of the reason they're not playing well is because the Canes are, so they deserve credit. Reminds me of our series with Toronto recently. Any Caps fan who expected a short series was in for a rude awakening.

Ahoy there

Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Well I already said I MISSED IT. oh golly I made a mistake, must grovel forever. check responses before you get all puffed up. Unless you really want this to go on your tombstone.
Hope the Caps wake up and get this over with.
nope. had some catching up to do on the thread as I'm traveling. I admittingly did not read through all the pages to see if it was addressed.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Saying that we know our team can play better (they can) doesn't imply we think we should be walking all over the Hurricanes. They just have another gear and we know it.

I'm aware that part of the reason they're not playing well is because the Canes are, so they deserve credit. Reminds me of our series with Toronto recently. Any Caps fan who expected a short series was in for a rude awakening.
Anything suggesting the Caps can be playing better than they have been, or that the Canes aren’t 100% responsible for that is purely false and an insult to the Canes’ true level of success ;)

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Refreshing! I'd agree that on paper you roster is better - no argument from most Canes' fans I believe. The stretches where you dominated and put up 3/2 in 10 minutes of period 1 in games 1 & 2 were evidence of what it looks like when the caps enforce their will upon the Canes. I'm not willing to say that those stretches were due to the Canes playing poorly. They made mistakes, but did so because of the pressure of the Caps.

Conversely, when the caps have looked like they need to "wake up" - a commonly used phrase ITT - it isn't because they are playing poorly or coasting or doing just enough because they know they can win at any point they decide to (also excuses found ITT.) No. It's because that's what it looks like when the Canes exert their will upon the caps.

As for officiating - it's been fair. Penalties have been missed on both sides and penalties have been called.
The thing is the Caps have those stretches where they look like a deer in the headlights all the time during the season and then they snap out of it. I remember recently at the end of the season when John Carlson who is a steady D was playing clueless for a few game period and it was frustrating. I hear it called a "funk". I don't know if the Caps have that now because like I said the Canes are a quality team and they bug the hell out of teams and don't give up.

What I don't like about officiating is when they is a bad injury from an obvious hit and that changes the rest of the series and the way it will be called. It isn't fair to the teams. Just continue to call the fouls that happen and don't over do it because the Refs believe they will lose control of the game.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
n0VRpFI.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad