ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | WSH leads 2-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Anyways guys back to the thread...

I like both teams but Caps more. Go Ovi!

Reactions: Neil Racki

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Click on the still picture I posted above which captures the moment of impact. Then try this: put your hands where they would naturally go if you instinctively put them up to impact an approaching player. I'd submit that's the stance Fleury was in at the moment of contact. Of course, Fleury is still responsible for his stick and he was correctly penalized. But deliberate headhunting, and comparisons to Kadri? I'll have to strongly disagree on those fronts.

Hamilton's elbow was dirty and uncalled for (as were Orpik's shot to Martinook's man parts and Ovi's high hit on McGinn, imo).

Why are you looking at the still? Watch the second before and the second after. Fleury's head was looking at Oshie straight on. He knew how low Oshie is. It's not like he just did a 180 degree turn at the last second.

And Fleury's arms go upwards towards the face. If you continue watching when the arms extend, its in an upwards motion.

What would you think if that was the other way around and Oshie was doing that to Fleury?

If you had a scale of 1-10 with 1 being a love tap and 10 being a Kadri, its definitely closer to Kadri than it is not.

Of course, Fleury is still responsible for his stick and he was correctly penalized.

What?

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So you trust Twitter comments over the NHL's own record stating that Fleury was assessed a penalty? Interesting

I didn't see NHL's own record until it was posted after I wrote this, no? I admitted I was wrong about it, do you want me to direct message every one of you guys? Or just copy and paste it everytime?

If I can admit I was wrong about it not being a called for a "minor" penalty, can you guys at least admit that this was a brutal play by Fleury?

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I didn't see NHL's own record until it was posted after I wrote this, no? I admitted I was wrong about it, do you want me to direct message every one of you guys? Or just copy and paste it everytime?

If I can admit I was wrong about it not being a called for a "minor" penalty, can you guys at least admit that this was a brutal play by Fleury?

Yup fair point. That's what I get for trying to catch up being 5 pages behind in this thread :laugh:

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL

To be fair, only one of them tried to deny it was a blatant cheap shot and at least one of them has admitted it was brutal.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
What about your wife?
Woah..
a85.gif

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Its only freakin 3:44 ... I swear to the almighty it was 3:12 like 2 hours ago ...

Awesome to see some conciliatory and friendly exchanges btw caps and canes fans. I guess you lock 2 fighting parties in a cage together long enough, some common ground can be found.

Reactions: filinski77

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Why are you looking at the still? Watch the second before and the second after. Fleury's head was looking at Oshie straight on. He knew how low Oshie is. It's not like he just did a 180 degree turn at the last second.

And Fleury's arms go upwards towards the face. If you continue watching when the arms extend, its in an upwards motion.

What would you think if that was the other way around and Oshie was doing that to Fleury?

If you had a scale of 1-10 with 1 being a love tap and 10 being a Kadri, its definitely closer to Kadri than it is not.

What?

Fair enough. As far as analyzing the video, take a look at the motion of Oshie's stick through the play vs. the motion of Fleury's stick through the play. Prior to impact, Fleury's stick is being extended forward (horizontally) while Oshie's is bringing his stick upwards in order to protect himself (vertically). Physics would indicate that there's as good or better a chance that once the sticks collided it was Oshie's stick that subsequently influenced the motion of both sticks rather than Fleury's.

And yes, Fleury had vision of Oshie coming, but it was bang bang, not like Fleury had seconds to line him up. Could he have processed how low Oshie was and adjusted his stick level? I don't know for sure, and I'd argue that no one else except Fleury does either.

Is it possible that Fleury was targeting Oshie? Sure. But breaking the play down, I don't think that was the case.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Fair enough. As far as analyzing the video, take a look at the motion of Oshie's stick through the play vs. the motion of Fleury's stick through the play. Prior to impact, Fleury's stick is being extended forward (horizontally) while Oshie's is bringing his stick upwards in order to protect himself (vertically). Physics would indicate that there's as good or better a chance that once the sticks collided it was Oshie's stick that subsequently influenced the motion of both sticks rather than Fleury's.

And yes, Fleury had vision of Oshie coming, but it was bang bang, not like Fleury had seconds to line him up. Could he have processed how low Oshie was and adjusted his stick level? I don't know for sure, and I'd argue that no one else except Fleury does either.

Is it possible that Fleury was targeting Oshie? Sure. But breaking the play down, I don't think that was the case.

Oshie's gloves and stick are actually below Fleury's before impact. It was after impact that Oshie brought his hands up to protect himself.

oshi.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad