ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | WSH leads 2-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
pzz3zKK.png

I guess I was wrong. Still doesn't make it right. Oshie wasn't hurt, so let's move past it. Just was mad at the time that something this blatant happened. Should never happen to any player, Cap or Cane.

But yes, I admit I was wrong about it.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

Where did you find that game log? Any chance you can check if that elbowing call on Hamilton was for the Kuz elbow or another play? I thought for sure there was no call on that play and am really curious now and we got time to kill.

Thanks either way.

edit -- found it .. Hamilton WAS called for 2 for elbowing Kuz ... wow. I feel like me and half the world missed that call.

I need to stop smoking soo much

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffy

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Lol smart. But the comments in the comments section do say that it was a missed call.

Nope. Was a missed call.

It wasn't. And again, easily verifiable despite the fact that the clip doesn't show the clock on it:

Washington Capitals - Carolina Hurricanes - April 15th, 2019

3rd (5:31) - CAR - Haydn Fleury Hi-Sticking Against T.J. Oshie

Now let's look at the Shift Chart

Fleury was on the ice from 4:42 until 5:31 of the 3rd (when he was penalized). The players you can see in that play are Nino Neiderreiter (CAR #21), Justin Faulk (CAR #27), T.J. Oshie (WSH #77), John Carlson (WSH #74), and Andre Burakovsky (WSH #65).

The only time Fleury and Oshie are on the ice together at the same time for that hit to happen is between 4:56 and 5:31 of the 3rd period. The only time *all* those players are on the ice together at the same time is between 4:56 and 5:31 of the 3rd.

Where did you find that game log? Any chance you can check if that elbowing call on Hamilton was for the Kuz elbow or another play? I thought for sure there was no call on that play and am really curious now and we got time to kill.

Thanks either way.

Hamilton wasn't called for elbowing in Game 3. The only penalty on Hamilton was a high sticking penalty at 19:22 of the 3rd for high-sticking Connolly.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Right in front of ref O'Halloran.

No call, no penalty.

A penalty, yes, but I'd have a hard time calling this play dirty on Fleury's part. Fleury spins around, sees Oshie coming, and has his hands at the level of the bottom of his chest; look at how low Oshie is, it's not like Fleury had his stick especially high. And it wasn't a hit to the throat. I just looked at the play in slow motion on my DVR and I don't think Fleury's stick ever touched Oshie's body. Oshie had his stick up and blocked Fleury's cross check with it.

Attachments

• Fleury crosscheck.JPG
    Fleury crosscheck.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 7

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
We may not have protected Svech, but we will avenge him.

We're coming for you Ovie. Right after Backstrom gets his comeuppance.

If Carolina wants to turn this into a brawl, I don't think it's in their best interest. First off, they'd lose. They don't have the "muscle" the Caps do. Secondly, you are a team built on speed. Beating and banging is not your strength. You dominated Game 3 for a number of reasons, not the least of which was probably a response to Svech getting clocked. Going after Ovie, and especially Backstrom, risks waking up the Caps.

There's no return in this for the Canes to do what you're asking. Don't get me wrong, as a fan it'd probably be exciting as all get out. But if you're a Canes fan, it's high risk IMO.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Hamilton wasn't called for elbowing in Game 3. The only penalty on Hamilton was a high sticking penalty at 19:22 of the 3rd for high-sticking Connolly.[/QUOTE]

Carolina Hurricanes - Washington Capitals - April 13th, 2019

^^ at 8:24 of the 2nd period Hamilton was called for elbowing Kuz ... they then go to a TV time out. I think them not clearly quickly calling it on ice and it basically being called during TV timeout created a lot of confusion.

I know I am dissecting a non-issue at this point. Pretty crazy I cant even figure out if a penalty was called or not lol ... sorry for a pointless diatribe and not letting this go.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If Carolina wants to turn this into a brawl, I don't think it's in their best interest. First off, they'd lose. They don't have the "muscle" the Caps do. Secondly, you are a team built on speed. Beating and banging is not your strength. You dominated Game 3 for a number of reasons, not the least of which was probably a response to Svech getting clocked. Going after Ovie, and especially Backstrom, risks waking up the Caps.

There's no return in this for the Canes to do what you're asking. Don't get me wrong, as a fan it'd probably be exciting as all get out. But if you're a Canes fan, it's high risk IMO.
I don't get what you're saying. Because Svech got physical, the Canes dominated, but going after Ovie (who Svech fought) will wake up the Caps, even though the Caps were dominated after Svech got physical with Ovie?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
A penalty, yes, but I'd have a hard time calling this play dirty on Fleury's part. Fleury spins around, sees Oshie coming, and has his hands at the level of the bottom of his chest; look at how low Oshie is, it's not like Fleury had his stick especially high. And it wasn't a hit to the throat. I just looked at the play in slow motion on my DVR and I don't think Fleury's stick ever touched Oshie's body. Oshie had his stick up and blocked Fleury's cross check with it.

This is homer fan mental gymnastics imo. Come on dude, Fleury clearly crushed him for no reason other than to crush him .... I do it, all fans do it but your "interpretation" of this clear cut play is a very good exhibit A on homer fan hot takes. Im sure I do it to, not picking on you man.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hamilton wasn't called for elbowing in Game 3. The only penalty on Hamilton was a high sticking penalty at 19:22 of the 3rd for high-sticking Connolly.

Carolina Hurricanes - Washington Capitals - April 13th, 2019

^^ at 8:24 of the 2nd period Hamilton was called for elbowing Kuz ... they then go to a TV time out. I think them not clearly quickly calling it on ice and it basically being called during TV timeout created a lot of confusion.

I know I am dissecting a non-issue at this point. Pretty crazy I cant even figure out if a penalty was called or not lol ... sorry for a pointless diatribe and not letting this go.

That was Game 2. I thought you were talking about Game 3 since that's what the discussion was about. Yes, Hamilton's penalty at 11:36 of the 2nd was for elbowing Kuznetsov.

Buffy

Apr 20, 2012
If they really start going after Ovi, or Backstrom, the Caps power play could use some work, and maybe, just maybe the refs would be expecting that.
I want a good game, not a snoozer, not a 'blood bath' Caps figure the Canes out kinda hockey.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Agreed, Canes need to play physical within their gameplan, i.e, heavy on the forecheck and stand up for one another if the Caps try to take liberties. They also need to be the smarter team when it comes to physicality, that is, when it comes down to penalties they need to be the "baiters" not the "baitees" (and yeah, I see that I'm teeing it up for someone to add in a "master" comment :snide:).

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

I can't comment on whether or not Oshie actually got hit in the throat until I see it on DVR. Obviously, as others pointed out, my memory can not be trusted. And obviously I can not go back until I get off work, which is taking wayyyyy too long to end. Getting to game time is taking forever.

But a crosscheck to the head or throat area with a stick is still a hit to the head or throat with a stick. That's more Kadri-ish than it isn't.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
Hoping for a much better game than Monday and a Caps win to give a bit of breathing room.

I've enjoyed the series thus far and, to be honest, I'm kind of excited about the prospect of this developing into a bit of another rivalry for the Caps that can provide some additional exciting matchups during the regular season.

Canes fans are lucky to have a young and talented team.

Buffy

Apr 20, 2012

Thanks either way.

edit -- found it .. Hamilton WAS called for 2 for elbowing Kuz ... wow. I feel like me and half the world missed that call.

I need to stop smoking soo much
They called it as a tv time out was called, I missed it too.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Weird, all the talk from Canes fans ITT and elsewhere has been about how the Caps are the only team that has taken any cheap shots and the poor Canes would be up 3-0 if it weren’t for officials ignoring the Caps dirty play.

The history point is comical. Does this hit give Hamilton a history now? Many would argue that a history of no suspensions = no history. Was an obvious attempt to try and remove one of the Caps best players from the series and absolutely brutal no-suspension by DoPS.

This is hilarious. If that's indeed been "all the talk" then you should have absolutely no problem linking 4-5 comments from Canes fans stating that. I won't hold my breath though

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
I don't get what you're saying. Because Svech got physical, the Canes dominated, but going after Ovie (who Svech fought) will wake up the Caps, even though the Caps were dominated after Svech got physical with Ovie?

Lakelivin said it better than I. There's a difference between being physical [ one can certainly argue whether Svech got "physical" with Ovie] and turning it into a brawl, which was the point of the post I was replying to stating the canes said target Backstrom and Ovechkin.

Agreed, Canes need to play physical within their gameplan, i.e, heavy on the forecheck and stand up for one another if the Caps try to take liberties. They also need to be the smarter team when it comes to physicality, that is, when it comes down to penalties they need to be the "baiters" not the "baitees" (and yeah, I see that I'm teeing it up for someone to add in a "master" comment :snide:).

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I can't comment on whether or not Oshie actually got hit in the throat until I see it on DVR. Obviously, as others pointed out, my memory can not be trusted. And obviously I can not go back until I get off work, which is taking wayyyyy too long to end. Getting to game time is taking forever.

But a crosscheck to the head or throat area with a stick is still a hit to the head or throat with a stick. That's more Kadri-ish than it isn't.

Click on the still picture I posted above which captures the moment of impact. Then try this: put your hands where they would naturally go if you instinctively put them up to impact an approaching player. I'd submit that's the stance Fleury was in at the moment of contact. Of course, Fleury is still responsible for his stick and he was correctly penalized. But deliberate headhunting, and comparisons to Kadri? I'll have to strongly disagree on those fronts.

Hamilton's elbow was dirty and uncalled for (as were Orpik's shot to Martinook's man parts and Ovi's high hit on McGinn, imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad