ECQF/ADSF: (A2) Boston Bruins vs. (A3) Toronto Maple Leafs Part 5 (Toronto Leads 2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
again, it's the playoffs

more than half the penalties that are called in the regular season are not in the playoffs

clutching, grabbing, hooking, interference... it's all there

only the Leafs don't do it , right?

and I'm not even talking about these things, I'm talking about finishing heavy checks on both ends
and there is nothing wrong with this

I think his point is that the it’s a fair assumption that Boston would still be the most penalized team in the playoffs (all teams treated equally) if that’s how they played in the regular season. Maybe less penalties for all teams overall, but the ratio would be likely to stay the same compared to other teams.

I think the questions come in when so many blatant calls are missed and the bruins suddenly become the least penalized out of all 16 teams. That doesn’t pass the eye test

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Toronto could in fact lose if Boston happens to win three more games before Toronto wins two.
I know it sounds crazy, but the math is there.
This is a killer instinct type of game. We know the bruins have it, we are going to find out if Toronto does.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think his point is that the it’s a fair assumption that Boston would still be the most penalized team in the playoffs (all teams treated equally) if that’s how they played in the regular season. Maybe less penalties for all teams overall, but the ratio would be likely to stay the same compared to other teams.

I think the questions come in when so many blatant calls are missed and the bruins suddenly become the least penalized out of all 16 teams. That doesn’t pass the eye test

Marchand had 96 PIM alone. How many times has he been to the penalty box in this series so far??

as well , fighting should be extracted from total team PIM, especially in this series, I can't see any happening

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
again, it's the playoffs

more than half the penalties that are called in the regular season are not in the playoffs

clutching, grabbing, hooking, interference... it's all there

only the Leafs don't do it , right?

and I'm not even talking about these things, I'm talking about finishing heavy checks on both ends
and there is nothing wrong with this

I don't mind when they put the whistles away, I get it. The one thing I expect from the refs though is to control the game. That's I think where the refs failed in game 2, they let the game get completely out of hand.

They let it get out of hand for both teams btw, it's not criticism against Boston.

Reactions: rocketdan9

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Hyperbole. It's just one game and it won't define either team any more than the last game did.

I've always found the logic of hockey players, who are playing at the highest level lack killer instinct or drive. Of course they all want to win, from a purely mercurial perspective the better they play the more money they make, the better there team does in the playoffs the more money they make.

They all want to win.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Hyperbole. It's just one game and it won't define either team any more than the last game did. Good attempt to put the Bruins on some imaginary pedestal above the Leafs though.

Naw, I have watched countless leaf teams disappoint because the other side wanted it more. 2013, 2018 included.

This game could put them up 3-1, backing the bruins against the wall. If they rise to the challenge, it will prove something in this group.

If they start to wilt, I’m going to be very concerned about going back to Boston 2-2

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Marchand had 96 PIM alone. How many times has he been to the penalty box in this series so far??

as well , fighting should be extracted from total team PIM, especially in this series, I can't see any happening

The one fight that should have happened would have been Kadri vs debrusk. No chance of that happening now.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013

Boston had 277 Minor penalties in the regular season, ranked 7th highest in that category.
Toronto had 208 Minor penalties in the regular season, ranked 31st highest in that category.

Boston has 8 Minor penalties in the playoffs.
Toronto has 8 Minor penalties in the playoffs.

If you were to say they are letting a lot of tick tack penalties uncalled in the playoffs, how do you respond to the INCREASE in minor penalties called against Toronto?

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Naw, I have watched countless leaf teams disappoint because the other side wanted it more. 2013, 2018 included.

This game could put them up 3-1, backing the bruins against the wall. If they rise to the challenge, it will prove something in this group.

If they start to wilt, I’m going to be very concerned about going back to Boston 2-2

2013 was a completely different team. Thinking what that team did or didn't do has anything to do with what this team is or isn't is just wrong.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is a killer instinct type of game. We know the bruins have it, we are going to find out if Toronto does.

Uhhhh, Boston went up 3-1 the past two series' and the Leafs ended up coming back as far as leading in the third period of Game 7 in both series'

Even if, and that's a big if as I expect Boston to come out flying tonight, the Leafs win tonight, and go up 3-1, Boston will be far from dead.

If the Leafs win, we can talk about "killer instinct" in Game 5, but like I said, the Leafs came back on Boston from a 3-1 deficit twice to force game 7, and Boston can do the same to the Leafs in they are put in that position after tonight.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Uhhhh, Boston went up 3-1 the past two series' and the Leafs ended up coming back as far as leading in the third period of Game 7 in both series'

Even if, and that's a big if as I expect Boston to come out flying tonight, the Leafs win tonight, and go up 3-1, Boston will be far from dead.

If the Leafs win, we can talk about "killer instinct" in Game 5, but like I said, the Leafs came back on Boston from a 3-1 deficit twice to force game 7, and Boston can do the same to the Leafs in they are put in that position after tonight.
This is absolutely true

You have to admit that 2-2 is a lot different than 3-1 though

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Anderson will probably bail out Matthews and Tavares once again. Two of the lamest "superstars" in the NHL.
You’re the saltiest fan on here, all I see from you is leaf bashing posts lol. Too bad 2 of the lamest superstars are currently 2 wins away from the next round

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Boston had 277 Minor penalties in the regular season, ranked 7th highest in that category.
Toronto had 208 Minor penalties in the regular season, ranked 31st highest in that category.

If you were to say they are letting a lot of tick tack penalties uncalled in the playoffs, how do you respond to the INCREASE in minor penalties called against Toronto?
208 minor penalties in 82 games is 2.53 minors per game. 8 minor penalties in 3 games is 2.66. They are marginally getting more penalties called.

There is decent decrease in penalties to Boston, but Toronto is penalized roughly the same.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is absolutely true

You have to admit that 2-2 is a lot different than 3-1 though

Of course. It's much easier to go back to Boston up 3-1 in the series, than it is to go back 2-2.

However, it's not really fair to say this is the game to judge "killer instinct" because even if TOR wins tonight, they haven't killed anything.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Thread - Leafs/Bruins referees reprimanded for Game 2 performance - was locked due to unreconizable source :laugh:

Leaf trying to "hockey politics" a way out from another game 2 from occuring

Naw... wont be that easy. Finish every bodycheck on a blue will be the slogan for the Bruins tonight
Wut?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

because it's a conspiracy *eye roll*

seriously, these type of excuses need to stop

outside of the Debrusk/Kadri feud

The refs have been doing a pretty good job

a few penalties called on the Leafs may seem questionable.... also same for the Bruins. But mostly they have been correct

at the end of the day, the league/refs want the players to "earn" the wins without their involvement as much as possible in playoff setting

this is nothing new

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The bruins played physical hockey game

We get it...leaf fans are afraid of playoff physical hockey...should leafs advance - good luck playing a much heavier/physical team in the CBJs.

Leaf fans appear to be the only folk complaining relentlessly about officiating and physical play. I should add it's not all leaf fans but in this thread it's the majority.

It's the playoffs get ready for more and more of game 2 ... it's not going to end.

Hits
Leafs 114
Bruins 108

What people like you fail to realize is if Boston plays like game 2 again they will be in the box for half the game. They are 0-2 under competent officiating, and with competent officiating the Leafs would of had so many PP's in game 2 tonight would likely be Toronto playing for the sweep.

I know it sucks to not be able to watch your team run constant interference, and for every other hit to be late. But Bruins fans are going to have to adjust to watching their team get called under that same rules as ever other team, finally.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
because it's a conspiracy *eye roll*

seriously, these type of excuses need to stop

outside of the Debrusk/Kadri feud

The refs have been doing a pretty good job

a few penalties called on the Leafs may seem questionable.... also same for the Bruins. But mostly they have been correct

but at the end of the day, the league/refs want the players to "earn" the wins without their involvement as much as possible in playoff setting

this is nothing new

I agree.

Game 2 was handled pretty poorly, but Game 1 & 3 were reffed fine.

And in Game 2, is was poorly handled on both sides. I mean, John Tavares pushed Tuuka Rask over and out of his net, and the ref stared at it and let it go. Just because the refs were poorly calling that game, didn't mean Kadri had to do what he did.

With Wes McCauley reffing tonight, I expect another well officiated game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad