ECQF/ADSF: (A2) Boston Bruins vs. (A3) Toronto Maple Leafs Part 5 (Toronto Leads 2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The ebbs and flows of playoff hockey, right?

If the Leafs win tonight, they can close out the series without having to win in Boston again.

If the Bruins win tonight, it's a best of 3 with two games in Boston.

All to play for. Expecting this to be the nastiest, most physically engaged game of the series.

I'm also expecting overtime.

All to play for. Should be great to watch.

The BErgeron line won't be kept quiet 5v5 all series. They'll be better tonight.

Matthews and Johnsson really looked like they were growing into the series after last game.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hits
Leafs 114
Bruins 108

What people like you fail to realize is if Boston plays like game 2 again they will be in the box for half the game. They are 0-2 under competent officiating, and with competent officiating the Leafs would of had so many PP's in game 2 tonight would likely be Toronto playing for the sweep.

I know it sucks to not be able to watch your team run constant interference, and for every other hit to be late. But Bruins fans are going to have to adjust to watching their team get called under that same rules as ever other team, finally.

we will see if your theory holds true (because it won't)

if you watched the Tampa vs CBJ game

Josh Anderson laid 5 hits after the Tampa D released the puck,... maybe a sec or two late

how many times did he get penalized for that?

wishful thinking....

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
208 minor penalties in 82 games is 2.53 minors per game. 8 minor penalties in 3 games is 2.66. They are marginally getting more penalties called.

There is decent decrease in penalties to Boston, but Toronto is penalized roughly the same.
How do you call a half penalty? Going that route, 277 in 82 is 3.38. Boston has 8 in 3 games at 2.66, nearly a full penalty less than in the regular season. My mistake, Toronto isn't getting called for more but Boston getting called for WAY less.

Either way you slice it and say that Boston isn't getting called for small hooks, trips etc because it's the payoffs have no answer as to why Toronto is still getting called at nearly the same rate as the regular season.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Good news about tonight for me I get to watch more of this game then I have since my team had been playing opposite of them.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
because it's a conspiracy *eye roll*

seriously, these type of excuses need to stop

outside of the Debrusk/Kadri feud

The refs have been doing a pretty good job

a few penalties called on the Leafs may seem questionable.... also same for the Bruins. But mostly they have been correct

at the end of the day, the league/refs want the players to "earn" the wins without their involvement as much as possible in playoff setting

this is nothing new
What excuses though? Did I say the Leafs lost Game 2 because of officiating? I simply pointed out some stats and you're running away with your own narrative.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How do you call a half penalty? Going that route, 277 in 82 is 3.38. Boston has 8 in 3 games at 2.66, nearly a full penalty less than in the regular season. My mistake, Toronto isn't getting called for more but Boston getting called for WAY less.

Either way you slice it and say that Boston isn't getting called for small hooks, trips etc because it's the payoffs have no answer as to why Toronto is still getting called at nearly the same rate as the regular season.
It's an average which is how you can get half penalties.

It's embarrassing that a fan can complain that their team is getting exactly the same amount of penalties called against as the other team. It's doubly embarrassing that said team is actually ahead in the series and you still feel the need to complain. What do you want, preferential treatment since your team was less penalized in the regular season than the opponent?

Reactions: Rydan

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
It's an average which is how you can get half penalties.

It's embarrassing that a fan can complain that their team is getting exactly the same amount of penalties called against as the other team. It's doubly embarrassing that said team is actually ahead in the series and you still feel the need to complain. What do you want, preferential treatment since your team was less penalized in the regular season than the opponent?
Let me give you a recap so we're all on the same page.

A Bruins posters said Boston plays a physical game and that Leafs apparently don't like playing that way:
The bruins played physical hockey game

We get it...leaf fans are afraid of playoff physical hockey...should leafs advance - good luck playing a much heavier/physical team in the CBJs.

Leaf fans appear to be the only folk complaining relentlessly about officiating and physical play. I should add it's not all leaf fans but in this thread it's the majority.

It's the playoffs get ready for more and more of game 2 ... it's not going to end.

A Leafs poster replied that no one has an issue with CLEAN physical play:
No one has an issue with hard, physical hockey. The problem is some folks can't differentiate between CLEAN, hard, physical hockey and game 2.

That same Bruins poster mentioned that it's not alway going to be CLEAN in the playoffs:
What some leaf fans are missing is simple - it's not always going to be CLEAN in the playoffs. It never is.

A very fine line when it comes to playing physical brand hockey. The Kadri head hit was all too obvious and dangerous other than that physical play comes in many forms and some infractions will be missed or allowed.

What is comical in all this officiating complaints is Toronto has the dirtiest player in the NHL. It was all too obvious in game 1 and 2... it again caught up to him.

Aforementioned Leafs poster said that if it isn't CLEAN then call a penalty and brought up the fact that Boston was the 2nd highest penalized team in the regular season and is now one of the least penalized team in the playoffs:
Then guess what? You call a penalty.

2nd most penalized to least penalized? Interesting. Equally interesting is to check the officiating differences between cities in the same series last year.

New Bruins poster steps in and says that in the playoffs, those same penalties that are called in the regular season are not called in the playoffs because playoffs:
again, it's the playoffs

more than half the penalties that are called in the regular season are not in the playoffs

clutching, grabbing, hooking, interference... it's all there

only the Leafs don't do it , right?

and I'm not even talking about these things, I'm talking about finishing heavy checks on both ends
and there is nothing wrong with this

Another Leafs poster highlights that it would be a fair assumption that a team that is one of the most penalized in the regular season would also be more penalized in the playoffs:
I think his point is that the it’s a fair assumption that Boston would still be the most penalized team in the playoffs (all teams treated equally) if that’s how they played in the regular season. Maybe less penalties for all teams overall, but the ratio would be likely to stay the same compared to other teams.

I think the questions come in when so many blatant calls are missed and the bruins suddenly become the least penalized out of all 16 teams. That doesn’t pass the eye test

Bruins fans mentioned fighting to try and make the argument that Bruins PIM is a little skewed because of 96PIM being a fighting major:
Marchand had 96 PIM alone. How many times has he been to the penalty box in this series so far??

as well , fighting should be extracted from total team PIM, especially in this series, I can't see any happening

That's where I made my post about minor penalties and gave you the stats.

Please show me where I was complaining?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I think his point is that the it’s a fair assumption that Boston would still be the most penalized team in the playoffs (all teams treated equally) if that’s how they played in the regular season. Maybe less penalties for all teams overall, but the ratio would be likely to stay the same compared to other teams.

I think the questions come in when so many blatant calls are missed and the bruins suddenly become the least penalized out of all 16 teams. That doesn’t pass the eye test

Good example of that was Kadri first 2 games.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I know you are not... judging by your cover photo , you rather have a few Wendel Clark in your lineup (btw he was one of my fav players, very good fighter, tough customer)
I'm a big fan of courageous hockey. Loved the fearlessness of Gilmour too. Dubas flaw is that he drinks his own bathwater. His hubris imperils the team. Misses the important stuff like locking down stars early enough so the cap doesnt get out of control. Misses imperial trends in overall performance over micro doses of quantified attributes with little correlation to winning. Guaranteed that his spreadsheets didn't predict that Marner would play the way he does even though many of us saw it a long time ago.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Let me give you a recap so we're all on the same page.

A Bruins posters said Boston plays a physical game and that Leafs apparently don't like playing that way:

A Leafs poster replied that no one has an issue with CLEAN physical play:

That same Bruins poster mentioned that it's not alway going to be CLEAN in the playoffs:

Aforementioned Leafs poster said that if it isn't CLEAN then call a penalty and brought up the fact that Boston was the 2nd highest penalized team in the regular season and is now one of the least penalized team in the playoffs:

New Bruins poster steps in and says that in the playoffs, those same penalties that are called in the regular season are not called in the playoffs because playoffs:

Another Leafs poster highlights that it would be a fair assumption that a team that is one of the most penalized in the regular season would also be more penalized in the playoffs:

Bruins fans mentioned fighting to try and make the argument that Bruins PIM is a little skewed because of 96PIM being a fighting major:

That's where I made my post about minor penalties and gave you the stats.

Please show me where I was complaining?

You missed the point...

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
this is ok, keep the hits coming

Bruins thrive with this kind of hockey

no complaints
If thriving is being down 2-1 then I’m down with it too.

All shit talking aside this is probably the most tightly contested series in the post season right now. It can go either way, I’m just glad to see the leafs stepping up to the plate after playing some horrible hockey down the stretch.

Reactions: willmma

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The leafs do look like they are trying to match Boston’s physical play. Exciting stuff :)

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
If the game turns into a goonary the bruins will win, if the bruins pull a goonary and the leafs pp is clicking the leafs will win. If it is a actual hockey game played between the whistles, it’ll be a 50/50 chance with Tavares, Matthews or Marner not scoring in the same game...

Wonder what happens if two of them decide to get on the sheet at the same time.

Look out.

Oh... I’m looking forward to watching Pasternak really hone his craft of zamboni when he gets knocked around every time he touches the puck.

Guy has no compete or heart. Glad he’s a Bruin

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
because it's a conspiracy *eye roll*

seriously, these type of excuses need to stop

outside of the Debrusk/Kadri feud

The refs have been doing a pretty good job

a few penalties called on the Leafs may seem questionable.... also same for the Bruins. But mostly they have been correct

at the end of the day, the league/refs want the players to "earn" the wins without their involvement as much as possible in playoff setting

this is nothing new

There's a really interesting graph someone did of the season where it shows the amount of penalties taken and amount of power plays and apart from an outlier or two almost universally every team is close to getting the same. The least penalized get the least power plays and vice versa.

I can't find it unfortunately, hopefully someone here has it.

The refs are terrified of calling games fairly, they always end up matching up in the end.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
But currently Dubas wants to defy this tradition and wants to introduce european style hockey

we will see if boy genius is smarter than everyone else

Who has Dubas brought in that "defies this tradition and resembles European hockey?" Tavares, the guy scoring goals in your crease and running your goalie? Or is it Muzzin, who's already scrambled a few noggins on your blue line?

The only soft players he's brought in are Petan and Ennis. If you want to complain about 4th liners and preesbox guys, go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad