ECQF: (2) Boston Bruins vs (3) Toronto Maple Leafs | Boston Leads Series 3-2

Game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wish we were talking more about Pastrnak not being a 3rd wheel. Good coming out party for him as a player reaching a star tier, but getting lost.
yeah he's having an incredible series. He's exactly what I wish Nylander was. Boston is so lucky they got him that late

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wish we were talking more about Pastrnak not being a 3rd wheel. Good coming out party for him as a player reaching a star tier, but getting lost.

Yeah, I recall reading this. No Bergie, no problem. He and Marchand pick up the slack. Cudos to Riley Nash also for subbing in. I don't think the casual fan even knew there were 2 Nash's on the Bruins at one time or even knew how good he was for the B's this season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
yeah he's having an incredible series. He's exactly what I wish Nylander was. Boston is so lucky they got him that late

I wouldn't be "giving up" on Nylander, of course. Bruins "gave up" on Seguin after a similar playoffs. Marner has certainly showed its in his nature do to what has to be done. Nylander is getting a lesson. Hopefully one he takes. If I am a Leafs fan am more excited about what Marner has shown than I am worried about Nylander. But I also know which of the big three I would trade for D help if the right trade came up.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah, I recall reading this. No Bergie, no problem. He and Marchand pick up the slack. Cudos to Riley Nash also for subbing in. I don't think the casual fan even knew there were 2 Nash's on the Bruins at one time or even knew how good he was for the B's this season.

Someone is going to pay Riley some coin this offseason. He is VERY solid defensively. Just a steady smart player. He doesn't get in Marchand or Pasta's way...and even put up some good points with them... but I worry the casual fan of whomever signs him is going to see low point totals and wonder why he is being paid so much.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't be "giving up" on Nylander, of course. Bruins "gave up" on Seguin after a similar playoffs. Marner has certainly showed its in his nature do to what has to be done. Nylander is getting a lesson. Hopefully one he takes. If I am a Leafs fan am more excited about what Marner has shown than I am worried about Nylander. But I also know which of the big three I would trade for D help if the right trade came up.
yeah Marner has been great. He reminds me of Pastrnak in that he doesn't want to get by on skill alone. I haven't seen that from Nylander this series, but hopefully he can grow into that same mold.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Anything can happen. I wouldn't give up until the game is over.

Hey, I mentioned earlier in this thread that the last time these teams tangled in the playoffs, I'm pretty sure the Bruins went home up 3-1, but Toronto still took them to 7.

Not sure if I see that happening this year, though.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Kadri's comments in TSN article. Seems like he's quite remorseful for his actions on Wingels:sarcasm:

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri said Friday he believes his hit on Boston Bruins forward Tommy Wingels in Game 1 was worthy of suspension, but that the three-game punishment was too harsh.
Kadri, as he did after the Game 1 loss last week, said he was defending teammate Mitch Marner when he threw the hit on Wingels, who had fallen to the ice in front of the sideboards.
"I was disappointed; I wasn’t expecting [three], that’s for sure," Kadri said. "That particular play, I felt a liberty had been taken on Mitch. I’m always going to stand up for my teammates, stand up for myself; that part isn’t going to change.
"Was it worthy of a suspension? I definitely think so. But I think the three games was definitely a little harsh. I didn't feel like it was a malicious play to go in and try to hurt him. It was a more of a statement thing, making a lot of contact with the majority of the boards.
"I think if my intent was there, there possibly could have been an injury and it could have been a lot worse."
Kadri (or whoever wrote this for him to state) is definitely a great spin doctor...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Someone is going to pay Riley some coin this offseason. He is VERY solid defensively. Just a steady smart player. He doesn't get in Marchand or Pasta's way...and even put up some good points with them... but I worry the casual fan of whomever signs him is going to see low point totals and wonder why he is being paid so much.

He's perfect in Boston playing behind Bergy and Krejci. 2nd in TOI last night for B's fwds at 19:10. Can they fit him in under the cap? He probably loves it in Boston.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hey, I mentioned earlier in this thread that the last time these teams tangled in the playoffs, I'm pretty sure the Bruins went home up 3-1, but Toronto still took them to 7.

Not sure if I see that happening this year, though.
Honestly...I hope the B's win tomorrow. Save me $$$ on game 7 and I love the handshakes on the ice. Plus my blood pressure can lower for a couple of days and the banged up Bruins can rest.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
To anyone arguing literally anything being in the Leafs favour this series, just stop, it’s almost as embarrassing as the way the Leafs are playing right now.

If you want to see a Canadian team play playoff hockey the way it’s meant to be played, watch the Winnipeg Jets, and you’ll see just how big of a joke the Leafs are currently playing is.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Honestly...I hope the B's win tomorrow. Save me $$$ on game 7 and I love the handshakes on the ice. Plus my blood pressure can lower for a couple of days and the banged up Bruins can rest.

Stranger things have happened but if I had to put money on it I'd say the Bruins take the next one.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
I think the only difference between Pasta and Nylander is one is incredibly talented and got drafted by a young rebuilding team and the other is incredibly talented and got drafted by a team with a couple of the best vets in the league to learn from (Bergy, Chara). Both are going to be great players for a long time.

Reactions: Ladyfan

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think the only difference between Pasta and Nylander is one is incredibly talented and got drafted by a young rebuilding team and the other is incredibly talented and got drafted by a team with a couple of the best vets in the league to learn from (Bergy, Chara). Both are going to be great players for a long time.
Well said. That is definitely an advantage for Pasta but you can't fault him for it. The team has surrounded him with such players. He is learning quickly how to get better. I am confident Nylander will be great both ways too, just will take a bit more time and patience.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
yes, matthews and nylander have also been bad.

this is what I said before the series, when everyone was talking about scoring depth advantages or grittiness or how good freddy was:

and here's what's happened.

Series Totals

Shot Attempts: TOR 258 - BOS 231
Shots on Goal: TOR 122 - BOS 131
Scoring Chances: TOR 142 - BOS 122
High Danger SC: TOR 42 - BOS 42
Goals Scored: TOR 9 - BOS 17

Matthews/Nylander/Marner: 2gls, 7pts
Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak: 6gls, 23pts

Anderson: .880sv%
Rask: .926sv%

Two evenly matched teams, one team's key players have stepped up, the other team's have fizzled.

This stats set is laughable. Guess how many 'high danger goals for' the Bruins were credited for in Game 4? ZERO. If Marchand putting it into an empty net and Debrusk scoring on a perfect 2-on-1 aren't 'high danger scoring chances' then your input stats are complete garbage.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Oh, I get that and I agree. My point is you just get look at a goalie's save percentage as to why you are losing a series.

The Preds are helping out their goalie. The Leafs aren't.

That said, Andy's been very shaky, but he isn't the only Leaf who is having that issue right now. It's a collective suck.

Ain't over yet, hopefully they find that other gear - Andy included - because they're almost out of chances.

We'll probably all agree that a big save at the right moment is a huge momentum changer, right? We'll also probably agree that a goalie letting in a stinker at the wrong time can deflate a team, right?

Well, that's the problem this series. Whenever the leafs press hard and start gaining momentum, Rask is a wall. He's stopping breakaways and 2 on 1's left right and centre. Momentum changer. Then the Bruins skate up the ice and immediately score a weak goal on Andersen. Leafs become deflated. This has happened all series and it's why this is primarily Andersen's fault, more than anybody else.

In game 2, Andersen let in 3 of the Bruins first 4 shots. I mean... that's just ridiculous. Of course the leafs didn't put up much of a fight after that. I wouldn't either.

Then in game 4, a MUST win game for the leafs, Andersen let's in a bullshit goal in first 30 seconds on Bostons first f***ing shot. At that point, if I were playing for the leafs, I would simply go home. I would refuse to play in front of that horrible human being.

The ONE game where Andersen was at least solid (even though he let in a typical Andersen weak bullshit goal that game as well), the leafs actually won. Which just shows. If Andersen wasn't being a complete f***ing idiot all series, this would be MUCH closer than it currently is.

.880 vs .930

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
What defines a "high danger chance", I wonder?

When this guy says so:

079396d790b52aaef6ef4ac1aa2591c2.jpg

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's perfect in Boston playing behind Bergy and Krejci. 2nd in TOI last night for B's fwds at 19:10. Can they fit him in under the cap? He probably loves it in Boston.

JFK, Frederic, and Donato (although he might stay at wing) probably looking at that #3C spot next season. I could see Boston doing a one year deal with someone to make those kids earn the spot, but after next year McAvoy, Carlo, Donato and Heinen all come of their ELC. Don't think they want to re-up Riley long term at what he can get in the open market. But, we will see!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This stats set is laughable. Guess how many 'high danger goals for' the Bruins were credited for in Game 4? ZERO. If Marchand putting it into an empty net and Debrusk scoring on a perfect 2-on-1 aren't 'high danger scoring chances' then your input stats are complete garbage.

Thank you. I love stats and hockeys stats. But, garbage in garbage out. And like all shot metrics, scoring chance metrics rely on NHL shot location data (dicey) and averages over long sample sizes (not 4 games) to even it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad