ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
The Caps could lose to the Pens in game seven, quadruple overtime, and people would say they "choked".
But if their team performed as such, they'd be calling it a heroic stand against the champs and NHL establishment's favorite pet franchise :rolleyes:

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
That guy is a caps fan, but you seemed to obsessed with Pens, they have done a number on you it seems..

it seems u posting stuff in capitals series thread... every second post of u is getting deleted here. it seems u cant handle the rules on this board. maybe take a few deep breaths, calm down. ur team is the best! won 3 recent cups, nobody can take it away from you, now go and entertain the flyer fanbase for a change.

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
Some cool stats.

Grubauer was the #1 goalie in hockey with a GSAA60 with 0.65 goals per game, meaning he stole 1 goal for every 2 games.

Bobrobsky was right behind him at 0.64 and played alot more minutes.

BOB however dominated everyone in hockey at GSAA total, 5v5, Bob lead the NHL with 34. The #2 guy was grubauer at just 17. He doubled the next best guy. If that's not crazy enough, Bob played 30 more games than Grubauer. That's outstanding.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Starting with the one you're quoting I hope? ;)

To be honest I would rather focus on the Jackets Caps series.
The Caps are the obvious favorite but hockey is the most random of the major sports. Random meaning that the best team does not always win. If I remember correctly I believe that basketball is the least random. That's why the same teams are in the NBA finals year after year and whichever team has LeBron is going to be a good team. Hockey is different. First of the forwards rarely play more than 20ish minutes (about a third) a game. So your best players have less opportunity to make an impact than other sports.
Hustle and the speed of the game also contributes to the randomness of hockey. One small breakdown can lead to a quick goal and because the average score is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-2, it makes one goal have a huge impact on the result. By comparison basketball will have 50 or more scores in a game so one fluke score will not change the outcome.

Bottom line is that this makes the NHL playoffs the best in sport and it gives teams like my Jackets a chance. I can't wait to get it started.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
CLB is simply a bad guess. WSH is healthy and will probably win in 4 or 5.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Kuznetsov is the Russian I would look to on the Caps to expect more from. Ovechkin has almost 50 playoff goals and nearly 100 playoff points now, those are elite numbers.

Reactions: mikeyp24

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
CLB is simply a bad guess. WSH is healthy and will probably win in 4 or 5.
When Columbus was struggling, Washington only managed to win by 1 goal in 2/3 games.

And in the game Washington struggled, Columbus blew them out.

I'm not saying that's gonna happen. But never under estimate a young hungry team. That locker room is full of leaders and a lot of skill throughout all 4 lines. It's gonna come down to the chess match between Torts and Trotz.

Reactions: mazmin

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
To be honest I would rather focus on the Jackets Caps series.
The Caps are the obvious favorite but hockey is the most random of the major sports. Random meaning that the best team does not always win. If I remember correctly I believe that basketball is the least random. <snip>

Hustle and the speed of the game also contributes to the randomness of hockey. One small breakdown can lead to a quick goal and because the average score is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-2, it makes one goal have a huge impact on the result. By comparison basketball will have 50 or more scores in a game so one fluke score will not change the outcome.

Bottom line is that this makes the NHL playoffs the best in sport and it gives teams like my Jackets a chance. I can't wait to get it started.
Hockey shares this with (world) Football. Both have a low number of scoring events. Thus upsets are not as scarce as in other sports like basketball.

Note one of those sports, the one that's inexpensive to play, is by far the worlds most popular. However to me hockey is much more exciting ! :D

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I get the Caps hate. Its fun. Isnt it? But, the Caps don't lose often in the first round. Its the 2nd round they have issues and more recently as the 1 seed in the east the playoff format has them playing the 2 seed and eventual cup winners. Lets not act like the Caps get bounced by wildly inferior teams. Like you are making it sound.

IIRC that has only happened once to Ovechkin era Caps teams. That was to Montreal, who beat the Penguins in the next round.

I like the Capitals way more. I want to see Ovie get a Cup (or two). That being said, Columbus is firing on all cylinders, a very tough match up.

Some guy called me on bringing up the fact that Washington has struggled in the playoffs for the last 14 years, for all of the Ovechkin era so far, as one of the reasons as to why I picked Columbus in 6; since Columbus has never won a series. I just called him out on that comparison. The Jackets have made the playoffs three times. 3.

I want Washington to win but I think Columbus is going to win because the Capitals struggle in the playoffs.

Now the Caps disappointing is a thing until it isn't. I am rooting for them. Doesn't mean I ignore the fact that they haven't made the ECF in a long time, despite making the playoffs for what? At least 10 years of making the playoffs everytime?

Listen. I cheer for the Ottawa Senators. We are the poster boys for playoff disappointments (with the odd heroic run here and there). I am not laughing or hating on Washington, I am just calling it how I see it.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
When Columbus was struggling, Washington only managed to win by 1 goal in 2/3 games.

And in the game Washington struggled, Columbus blew them out.

I'm not saying that's gonna happen. But never under estimate a young hungry team. That locker room is full of leaders and a lot of skill throughout all 4 lines. It's gonna come down to the chess match between Torts and Trotz.

That does not bode well for Trotz because sometimes it feels like he’s playing checkers...

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
I like the Capitals way more. I want to see Ovie get a Cup (or two). That being said, Columbus is firing on all cylinders, a very tough match up.

Some guy called me on bringing up the fact that Washington has struggled in the playoffs for the last 14 years, for all of the Ovechkin era so far, as one of the reasons as to why I picked Columbus in 6; since Columbus has never won a series. I just called him out on that comparison. The Jackets have made the playoffs three times. 3.

I want Washington to win but I think Columbus is going to win because the Capitals struggle in the playoffs.

Now the Caps disappointing is a thing until it isn't. I am rooting for them. Doesn't mean I ignore the fact that they haven't made the ECF in a long time, despite making the playoffs for what? At least 10 years of making the playoffs everytime?

Listen. I cheer for the Ottawa Senators. We are the poster boys for playoff disappointments (with the odd heroic run here and there). I am not laughing or hating on Washington, I am just calling it how I see it.

Columbus has made it 4 times, so the franchise played just its 17th season, you know how many times Washington made the playoffs in their first 17 years ? Only 6. Not that far off.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This year does count. I mean I think we should be able to do math and get facts correct before we make post.

I was talking about using the past to inform my decision on picking Columbus. Right now, Columbus is 0-3 in playoff series and will continue to be so until the conclusion of the upcoming one.

This isn't rocket surgery.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I think Holtby has earned the start,just don't know if thats best.

I think most Caps fans will agree that Grubauer has earned the start due to his excellent season. Holtby has struggled this season, for whatever reason.

I am sure Grubauer will be on a relatively short leash due to his lack of playoff experience, though.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
CBJ Monday Morning Practice Lines:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Bjorkstrand-Foligno-Anderson
Calvert-Letetsu-Dubinski

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Very encouraging for CBJ fans to see no one missing (knocks on wood).
this is the line I was going to post I hope happens so I'm extrmely happy. Milano is a great skill player but he instill extrmely young and makes stupid turnovers trying to be to cute and against the caps in a short series that could be the difference and kill us. I literally trust every line there to matchup against Ovi's line. Vanek has shown the ability to back check and play D similar to how Panarin proved he wasn't just a 1 way guy. Only issue is Cole and Savard should be the 3rd pair. Keep them off the ice as much as possible. Both are the worst offenders on the team of committing needless penalties.
No, but a 2x Vezina winner has a lot to prove when he is 3-15 with an .887.

If he is truly as good as Lundqvist, Rinne, Rask, Quick, etc he could have stolen a series by now. He has everything to prove this post season.
He has only been the Bob that is Elite for 2 of those series. 1 we played great and made it to game 6 but that CBJ team was a very average team. Easily the one of the bottom 3 teams that made it. Going against Pitt that year there was very minimal chance of winning. Last year was the opposite Bob had arguably the best season a goalie has had this millinium and shit the bed in the playoffs although statistically we out performed Pitt based on every stat but goaltending. Our guy gave up way more then their guy. Our stats showed we played them better then every other team they played the rest of the playoffs ever though those series went longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad