Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (3-3) Toronto Maple Leafs. GAME 7 AWAITS!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Was just pointing out we got burned on the exact same play and the league said that defender who is lying prone like that on a two on one and then the other player skates into his stick shouldnt be assessed a penalty.

Im fine with it being a penalty if it didnt contradict what happened at the time and the explanation afterwords.....just another consistency issue I guess.....

I also noticed you didnt mention the Gardiner incident.....with that penalty its 3 bad penalties against in an elimination game which is inexcusable when you only call 1 penalty all game on the other team that was held off on until indisputable proof was in front of your face.

Im not a conspiracy theorist at all on this though, it was just PeeWee level reffing that went against us again this year for some reason.....and it killed the game as our forwards get frozen and our dmen get fatigued down the stretch.

I'll have to go rewatch the incident, but correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't Gardiner the third man in that scrum, going after Backes?

That's a penalty, no? That the refs took 1 each and the Leafs weren't shorthanded?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A couple bad calls agreed but the problem wasn't the calls they made against the Leafs, it was the lack of calls against the B's .
Games of this magnitude shouldn't be so heavily tilted.

I'll be honest - I didn't see too much that Boston got away with in game 5.

Maybe the Marchand - Marner thing but that was about it.

Did I miss anything obvious?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Chara's sucker punch to Gardiner? That's a penalty.

Chara also high sticked Hyman late in the third period right in front of the ref.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Was just pointing out we got burned on the exact same play and the league said that defender who is lying prone like that on a two on one and then the other player skates into his stick shouldnt be assessed a penalty.

Im fine with it being a penalty if it didnt contradict what happened at the time and the explanation afterwords.....just another consistency issue I guess.....

I also noticed you didnt mention the Gardiner incident.....with that penalty its 3 bad penalties against in an elimination game which is inexcusable when you only call 1 penalty all game on the other team that was held off on until indisputable proof was in front of your face.

Im not a conspiracy theorist at all on this though, it was just PeeWee level reffing that went against us again this year for some reason.....and it killed the game as our forwards get frozen and our dmen get fatigued down the stretch.

You can call it a potentially rigged or suspect match and should not get criticized. 8-1 penalties that piled on after we got a healthy lead. Come on that was shady as hell. I won't bet on NHL games anymore after that and where do you ever see an elimination game with so many penalties against one team? It almost never happens and there are tons of equalizer penalties on Boston that should have been called but were not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

In any game you can always find something to call.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Want to neutralize officiating?

Stay out of the box.

Leafs have to pick up some of the PP sticks the Bruins use ... the ones that have been previously broken and glued back together and break when touched. You only use those in O-Zone face-offs where a puck battle doesn't cause a shot on your own net, but have one shot in them and then they break and odds are you are in a scrum and get to hold up your broken stick for the obligatory call.

;)

And when the Leafs throw their faces at fists make it count.
And when Marner gets elbowed in the face again he has to lie on the ice and squirm around in a death throe.

Reactions: dsred

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'll have to go rewatch the incident, but correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't Gardiner the third man in that scrum, going after Backes?

That's a penalty, no? That the refs took 1 each and the Leafs weren't shorthanded?

Backes jumped Hyman(trying to spur his team) and gave him some shots to kick the whole thing off and they were sort of wrestling (at this point Backus was getting 4 for roughing and Hyman 2 which they did get in the end) Hyman didnt really want to engage and Gardiner came flying over and was trying to pull Backes off of Hyman and then Chara came in and full on punch Gardiner in the head.

Penalties were then assessed to be 4 for Backes, 2 for Hyman and 2 for Gardiner (how the hell didnt the Bruins get a power play here?)

Total Bush league.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Many penalties should have been called against Boston as described by others. But what was telling for me was that the only PP we got was almost not called. The refs arm went up late only because he had to when the Boston D man's stick was stuck in Johnnson's skate. Or else he wouldnt have received the call either!!!! Look at the replay...anyone else notice that?

So there was a phantom call on Nash broken stick. Chara didnt receive penalties for the scrum or high stick on Hyman. Nylander was pulled down or held on two plays that were similar to calls made against us. And the Dermott call was being done to us all game but Boston got the call and we didnt . Not to mention we almost didnt get the call on the only PP we got!!!!

Something wasnt right that game and it was really evident.

Reactions: NiftyMits

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Most of the penalties against the Leafs in game 5 were good calls. If the players make a stupid move and take a penalty, it’s not the refs fault. I don’t understand the complaints about that??

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leafs have to pick up some of the PP sticks the Bruins use ... the ones that have been previously broken and glued back together and break when touched. You only use those in O-Zone face-offs where a puck battle doesn't cause a shot on your own net, but have one shot in them and then they break and odds are you are in a scrum and get to hold up your broken stick for the obligatory call.

;)

And when the Leafs throw their faces at fists make it count.
And when Marner gets elbowed in the face again he has to lie on the ice and squirm around in a death throe.

Leafs can't control what the refs call on Boston.

So worry about what they can control - stay out of the box.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Most of the penalties against the Leafs in game 5 were good calls. If the players make a stupid move and take a penalty, it’s not the refs fault. I don’t understand the complaints about that??

Bit of a complex here, if people believing the league / refs are somehow out to get the refs.

Not really sure how something like that would even be completed or executed - single biggest market in the league, with the most TV interest, fan interest, and media interest, but apparently a secret plan exists to screw the Leafs?

It's ridiculous.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In any game you can always find something to call.

In fact when the Refs made some calls they got it wrong..

Leafs got a PP & goal on a puck over glass call that hit the glass, and Bruins got a PP & goal on Rick Nash broken stick call that showed it broke on his shot not on a Leaf slash to break it.

These are examples were it would have been better had Refs called neither, because then they would have gotten them both right by putting the whistles away.

These things have a way of balancing themselves out over the course of a series.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bit of a complex here, if people believing the league / refs are somehow out to get the refs.

Not really sure how something like that would even be completed or executed - single biggest market in the league, with the most TV interest, fan interest, and media interest, but apparently a secret plan exists to screw the Leafs?

It's ridiculous.

You are right. Unfortunately the league has been known to cater to the US.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The idea isn't that the Leafs penalties weren't penalties... it's that Boston didn't get the same level of officiating and got away with a lot of questionable calls. They got away with at least 3 penalties that were pretty obvious.

How hard is this to understand? Leaf fans weren't mad about the calls they received, they were mad that it wasn't consistent between the 2 teams.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Unless its called fairly the leafs will be forced to adjust their intensity. That controls momentum. 6 unanswered calls when obvious examples of penalties are obvious against the other teams and no call, is suspect. It is also an attempt at controlling a games momentum by the officiating body, which is suspect.

8-1 6 in a row after we get a lead. Strange and suspect.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In fact when the Refs made some calls they got it wrong..

Leafs got a PP & goal on a puck over glass call that hit the glass, and Bruins got a PP & goal on Rick Nash broken stick call that showed it broke on his shot not on a Leaf slash to break it.

These are examples were it would have been better had Refs called neither, because then they would have gotten them both right by putting the whistles away.

These things have a way of balancing themselves out over the course of a series.

First goal of this series was scored on an offside.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Babcock should only put 4 guys out on the ice to start the game tonight.
Send one player to the penalty box right away. I'd laugh so hard at that.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Saw Marchand cross-check Morgan Rielly while he was engaged with Krug in a scrum in Game 4, and receive nothing more than a "stop that, Bradley."

Who knows what a penalty is anymore.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Babcock should only put 4 guys out on the ice to start the game tonight.
Send one player to the penalty box right away. I'd laugh so hard at that.

I hope we come out playing just as hard pretending the game will be called fairly. I don't think their will be nonsense in our barn. If the last game happened in our barn the glass may have started falling on the ice, especially if we lost.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

People are listing the issues with various specific calls against us and non-calls against the bruins and you comeback with no specific response other than "I don't understand that complaints".
Trolling much?

If you are trolling, well done, this will trigger a bunch of responses.
If you are not - :huh: :shakehead

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

It's ridiculous.

Canadian TV interests....which means nothing in terms of the U.S. Television market, which is what the NHL needs to drive and grow.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy, because I agree that's ridiculous. However, if the NHL head office was caught in an honest moment, and were asked which market they preferred to remain in the playoffs, its very easily the New England region.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

I took issue with several calls game 5.

The Bozak slash on Nash in the 1st, when his stick broke on his shot. I've read a few people say that the slash was a few seconds earlier on Nash's glove. I don't mind them calling that, as long as they call it consistently. I could go through the game tape and point out at least a dozen slashes to the gloves that went uncalled. So at best it's an inconsistent call, at worst they saw a broken stick and thought it was slashing.

The roughing penalty on Gardiner. The joke is that it was for getting punched in the face by Chara, but he did have his hands on Backes before that. Are we serious with that call? You would need to call a penalty on almost every scrum that happens in the game if you start calling what Gardiner did a penalty. In addition, it cost the Leafs a PP, and Chara somehow got off scot free.

Also the slash on Polak. I feel like dmen put their sticks over a forward's stick a dozen times a game, but Polak uses his hulk strength and breaks the stick and it's a penalty. Maybe not undeserved but still sketch.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

If one team is held to a different standard than the other, then it becomes a problem.

I'm even down with giving Gardiner a penalty on that one particular play if it gets the even out on Chara but to ignore him getting punched in the face is to lose all credibility. Hyman is not a fighter. If Kadri jumped Pasta and then McAvoy grabbed Kadri to pull him off and Rielly full on punched him in the face is than an even out?

No independent observer of that game could say what was happening made sense.

A team getting 6 of the first 7 PP in a playoff game has only happened 11 times in the last 10 years (edit). This Leafs team must be one of the dirtiest teams of all time? So undisciplined?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lack of Boston calls is the issue.
I wonder if any other playoff game this spring had such lopsided penalty minutes assessed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad