Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Doesn't matter, I think our odds are 40-60 against either. Pretty good shot to make it past R1 but R2 will be tough and if we make it past R2... Doubt we have much in the tank but you never know. We have a good team that can go all the way with some luck and top tending.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Let’s not get cocky here, but we match up really well against the Bruins. We can throw four lines at them constantly, each with its own injection of speed and skill. Their top line is quite possibly the best in the league, but one line can’t win a series. This is gonna be a lot of ****ing fun to watch, it’s been a long five years

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am calling it now.

Game seven double OT.
Matthews duplicates his goal on Price on Rask.

*muah*

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
On a side note, thank god we are done with that regular season. For my money Leafs did well to stay reasonably sharp, we've been stuck with nothing to play for, for weeks. This wait has been painful, now this fan base will explode!

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
The complexion of our series vs Washington completely changed last year when Trotz scratched Alzner in favour of Nate Schmidt, who was faster, more skilled, and therefore better equipped to handle our speed. If we get down against Boston and the fourth line is ineffective, will Babcock try to make the same adjustment? Given his love for vets, I'm not sure he will but that could turn out to be an interesting storyline.

The biggest questions for me are how we match up against their top line, and how much cheap **** the refs let go. We can score against their 2-4 lines but that top line is a monster.
The earth will violently shake and Lucifer will rise up from the core before Babcock scratches Polak in favour of Carrick.

Do I want Polak scratched? Yes. Is Carrick substantially better and actually an NHL player? Yes. But Babcock isnt going to do it so it's just useless to keep speculating what it would be like if Babcock played his best lineup.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Love this match up!

Lots of story lines:

[1] 2013 redemption
[2] Matthews vs Bergeron (Franchise Center)
[3] Nylander vs Pastrnak (Friends)
[4] Speed vs Experience
[5] 7-1 in our last 8 against Bruins

Player's Stats against Boston:
Auston Matthews: 5GP 1G 5P +2
Mitch Marner: 8GP 4G 13P +10
William Nylander: 9GP 4G 7P +4
Morgan Rielly: 19GP 1G 10P -1

Frederik Andersen: 10-1-0 .935SV%, 2.09GAA

One thing's for sure, Marner and Freddy sure like playing Boston :nod:

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The earth will violently shake and Lucifer will rise up from the core before Babcock scratches Polak in favour of Carrick.

Do I want Polak scratched? Yes. Is Carrick substantially better and actually an NHL player? Yes. But Babcock isnt going to do it so it's just useless to keep speculating what it would be like if Babcock played his best lineup.
Oops, I was actually referencing Komarov vs Johnsson for us even though I talked about Washington's blueline. I've resigned myself to Polak at this point.

Reactions: Hoverhand

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Love this match up!

Lots of story lines:

[1] 2013 redemption
[4] Speed vs Experience

so does Jake.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Let’s not get cocky here, but we match up really well against the Bruins. We can throw four lines at them constantly, each with its own injection of speed and skill. Their top line is quite possibly the best in the league, but one line can’t win a series. This is gonna be a lot of ****ing fun to watch, it’s been a long five years
Not entirely sure about that. They have veteran goons and rats to go with their elite talent (and f*cking Marchand is all three wrapped in one) and Toronto is a relatively soft/skilled/speedy team. You worry that Boston is going to grind Toronto down or just flat-out send someone head-hunting for Matthews, Marner or Nylander.

I have this terrifying image of Pacioretty with Chara right now... except he is in Blue and White.

I honestly don't know if this is an easier match-up then Tampa; it is certainly probably going to be one where there is a much higher risk of a major injury. But I still think it is worth it for the chance to exact some revenge for the last time the Leafs and Bruins met in the playoffs.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The best hockey I've ever seen Jake Gardiner play was against Boston, he was simply unreal. He's played real well too the last couple of months, bad Jake rarely around, I've modified my view again, he could be a real X factor this series.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Love this match up!

Lots of story lines:

[1] 2013 redemption
[4] Speed vs Experience

Great... now we know who Marchand will try to concuss first.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not entirely sure about that. They have veteran goons and rats to go with their elite talent (and f*cking Marchand is all three wrapped in one) and Toronto is a relatively soft/skilled/speedy team. You worry that Boston is going to grind Toronto down or just flat-out send someone head-hunting for Matthews, Marner or Nylander.

I have this terrifying image of Pacioretty with Chara right now... except he is in Blue and White.

Chara isn't who he used to be... he's lost a couple of steps... our players will blow right by him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I also believe we will see Plek pick it up, he has a llloooonnnggg history with Boston and his role will be quite clear. Intriguing angle for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad