Confirmed with Link: Eberle for Strome: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Actually, most of their fans blamed coaching for their prospects poor development, including Strome.

Do they have Oiler sunglasses on as well? ;)

We are about to find out. :D

I'm pulling for Strome to find his game here but I am also acutely aware of his damaged development. A lot needs to happen for this player IMO.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
We are about to find out. :D

I'm pulling for Strome to find his game here but I am also acutely aware of his damaged development. A lot needs to happen for this player IMO.
This is a player who desperately needs Todd Mclellen.

Reactions: Lord Quas

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm actually happy to be on the other side of a trade like this. Promising young player that has been mismanaged but it's still early enough to turn it around. The RH shot, C/RW, link with McDavid - there is some potential but it's up to Strome to pull it off.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Strome is a decent player with upside. I think the stats show that as well.

Going forward he should be judged on his own merits but the comparisons to Eberle (in the past and future) will I'm sure be thrown out here on the boards regularly.

Over the past 3 years though... those 2 players are a lot closer than most will admit.

Pts/60 at 5 on 5:
Strome 1.786
Eberle 1.867

N-zone/D-zone/O-zone % starts for each over that same 3 year time period:

Strome 34.5/32.8/32.7
Eberle 40.1/26.5/33.4

There's a lowish but not insignificant correlation between zone starts and pts/60 as well as GF/60 relative to teammates as well. This is a factor in comparing Strome to Eberle as well.

When Strome was on the ice 5 on 5 those 3 past seasons... his team scored 2.79 GF/60 and had 2.61 GA/60 while his teammates scored 2.37 GF/60 and had 2.26 GA/60 and his opponents were at levels of 2.22 GF/60 and 2.19 GA/60.

That shows me that he certainly helps his team and is a net positive offensively when he's out there. Defensively he's obviously not as good... but offense is what we most want to see out of a young offensively oriented forward like Strome... and he seems to have decent numbers and potential in that category.

When Eberle was on the ice at 5 on 5 over those last 3 seasons the Oilers scored at rate of 2.51 GF/60 and had 2.59 GA/60 while his teammates had 2.23 GF/60 and 2.49 GA/60 and the opposition he faced had stats of 2.25 GF/60 and 2.22 GA/60.

Those numbers are actually not as good as Strome offensively and when you consider the zone usage stats... those numbers offensively are even a little more in favour of Strome.

Defensively Eberle actually looks better in those stats than Strome and credit due to Eberle that he was making some improvement in that area (possibly to the detriment of his offensive stats).

Overall I give the edge to Strome as his pts/60 was close to Eberle while playing tougher minutes and his effect on overall team offense (most important factor for a forward) was better than Eberle achieved.

I expect Strome to have some difficulties playing the defensive side of the game but we are used to that from watching RNH.

Honestly, looking at Strome's numbers up above compared to RNH... I see Strome being a better offensive version of RNH with similar defensive deficiencies... all for less than half the cost.

RNH had very similar zone starts to Eberle over that 3 year period... with similar quality of competition and quality of teammates... yet RNH put up worse offensive and defensive numbers than Eberle.

I'm hoping Strome can keep progressing and RNH will rebound and it gives the Oilers the "problem" of having to make a tough choice on what to do with those 2 going forward.

Ideally those 2 both score 55-60 pts next season which is obviously unlikely but not impossible.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Strome is a decent player with upside. I think the stats show that as well.

Going forward he should be judged on his own merits but the comparisons to Eberle (in the past and future) will I'm sure be thrown out here on the boards regularly.

Over the past 3 years though... those 2 players are a lot closer than most will admit.

Pts/60 at 5 on 5:
Strome 1.786
Eberle 1.867

N-zone/D-zone/O-zone % starts for each over that same 3 year time period:

Strome 34.5/32.8/32.7
Eberle 40.1/26.5/33.4

There's a lowish but not insignificant correlation between zone starts and pts/60 as well as GF/60 relative to teammates as well. This is a factor in comparing Strome to Eberle as well.

When Strome was on the ice 5 on 5 those 3 past seasons... his team scored 2.79 GF/60 and had 2.61 GA/60 while his teammates scored 2.37 GF/60 and had 2.26 GA/60 and his opponents were at levels of 2.22 GF/60 and 2.19 GA/60.

That shows me that he certainly helps his team and is a net positive offensively when he's out there. Defensively he's obviously not as good... but offense is what we most want to see out of a young offensively oriented forward like Strome... and he seems to have decent numbers and potential in that category.

When Eberle was on the ice at 5 on 5 over those last 3 seasons the Oilers scored at rate of 2.51 GF/60 and had 2.59 GA/60 while his teammates had 2.23 GF/60 and 2.49 GA/60 and the opposition he faced had stats of 2.25 GF/60 and 2.22 GA/60.

Those numbers are actually not as good as Strome offensively and when you consider the zone usage stats... those numbers offensively are even a little more in favour of Strome.

Defensively Eberle actually looks better in those stats than Strome and credit due to Eberle that he was making some improvement in that area (possibly to the detriment of his offensive stats).

Overall I give the edge to Strome as his pts/60 was close to Eberle while playing tougher minutes and his effect on overall team offense (most important factor for a forward) was better than Eberle achieved.

I expect Strome to have some difficulties playing the defensive side of the game but we are used to that from watching RNH.

Honestly, looking at Strome's numbers up above compared to RNH... I see Strome being a better offensive version of RNH with similar defensive deficiencies... all for less than half the cost.

RNH had very similar zone starts to Eberle over that 3 year period... with similar quality of competition and quality of teammates... yet RNH put up worse offensive and defensive numbers than Eberle.

I'm hoping Strome can keep progressing and RNH will rebound and it gives the Oilers the "problem" of having to make a tough choice on what to do with those 2 going forward.

Ideally those 2 both score 55-60 pts next season which is obviously unlikely but not impossible.

Quality analysis my friend - thanks for taking the time. My take is that we will not miss Ebs at all but we'll find out soon enough.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If we are forced to deal RNH due to his cap hit, Strome's versatility will help to lessen that loss. Ideally Strome does well and we can keep Nuge but time will tell that story.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
First goal against had nothing to do with him. Second was a bad outlet pass by him that was mishandled and immediately ended up in the back of the net--Dubois' first. Goal two was a vintage soft play. I'd be more worried about the lack of production.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Losing Eberle is addition by subtraction alone. Getting Strome who is playing C and can shift to RW, plays with more sandpaper and at nearly 1/3 the price is a huge win for Edmonton. I'll be going to the game in Brooklyn when the Oilers are there in November. Will be interesting to see.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
the only positive is strome is 1/3 the price, but he's also 1/3 the player of Eberle....also his contract is up after this year and he's gone.
so that's another positive.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
the only positive is strome is 1/3 the price, but he's also 1/3 the player of Eberle....also his contract is up after this year and he's gone.

Don’t forget the fact that eberle is off the team.

That itself is the biggest positive.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Strome is better without the puck than Eberle and offensively they aren't even far off based on last year.

Eberle 53 points in 95 games .556 PPG

Strome 30 points in 69 games .435 PPG

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
strome is invisible, has no jam in his game....it is very obvious if you watch the games.

Now that we are able to tag posters on posts I'll donyou a favor tonight. I'll watch the Islanders game and I'll tag you every time that Eberle makes a butter soft play. Every time he avoids contact on the forecheck, every time he isn't in position in the defensive zone and the Isles don't get the puck out, every time he bails on the puck to avoid being hit, every time he loses a 50/50 puck battle. I'll do the same for you during the Oilers game for Strome when he does the right play.

Reactions: Ninety7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad