Confirmed with Link: Eberle for Strome: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Again....there is a direct correlation between TOI and PPG. Its been covered already.

As for the price tag...thats where we agree.
The difference is that unlike a lot of posters on here I dont blame the player for the contract. I also dont think that he absolutely shouldnt have been traded. My issue was with the return.
Strome has issues...bigger issues than Eberle. The ONLY saving grace for me is the cap savings.

yes as points/60 goes down so does TOI.

TOI doesnt go down unless PPG goes down. No coach on earth would remove a top line skill winger from the PP if he is producing and replace him with a 4th line center.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Letestu brought a faceoff man and a RH one timer to the PP. It's his spot to lose on that unit IMO. Eberle was not shooting the puck with confidence last season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Now that the mega deals are signed and folks are thinking about who has to go next year, I have to ask why folks are assuming Strome has a long term role in Edmonton but at the same time perfectly willing to let go of Letestu and Maroon (2nd and 4th top playoff scorers) over less money than Strome would make. Strome has been the worse player of the three so far.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Now that the mega deals are signed and folks are thinking about who has to go next year, I have to ask why folks are assuming Strome has a long term role in Edmonton but at the same time perfectly willing to let go of Letestu and Maroon (2nd and 4th top playoff scorers) over less money than Strome would make. Strome has been the worse player of the three so far.

I'd like to keep Maroon the issue is what is he going to want contract wise and does that realistically work for us.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

This doesn't make much sense.

Why do people think that Strome might have a long term place with the Oilers? Because he's still young and could develop into a very nice support player with the Oilers, he's going be given a solid opportunity to contribute.

If Strome plays well he'll stick around, if he doesn't he'll move on.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This doesn't make much sense.

Why do people think that Strome might have a long term place with the Oilers? Because he's still young and could develop into a very nice support player with the Oilers, he's going be given a solid opportunity to contribute.

If Strome plays well he'll stick around, if he doesn't he'll move on.

My hope is we don't play him with Connor in his contract year and instead stick RNH up there to pump-and-dump for a trade.

If he plays alongside Drai or as our 3C and has modest production (40-50ish points) he can earn himself a 4-year, $12M extension of some sort and that's when I plug him in beside Connor to be a productive fixture on his side.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I really don't that anything is set in stone with anyone at this point. As I started eluding to in another thread we are getting to a point in time where we have our core and just build around it. If that means wingers and bottom 6 centers rotating every other year then so be it.

I do however think the one thing that helps Strome out is that he can play wing and center. Something both TM and PC love, so that could help him out. He's also only 23 so that should help him as well.

With that being said I wouldn't be shocked if Strome was dealt next summer. 7 RFA/UFA's up front according to NHLnumbers. Anyone of them could be gone at this time next year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My hope is we don't play him with Connor in his contract year and instead stick RNH up there to pump-and-dump for a trade.

If he plays alongside Drai or as our 3C and has modest production (40-50ish points) he can earn himself a 4-year, $12M extension of some sort and that's when I plug him in beside Connor to be a productive fixture on his side.

I would love nothing more then Strome having a significant season, if you have to move him because you can't pay him, that's not a major problem in my mind.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would love nothing more then Strome having a significant season, if you have to move him because you can't pay him, that's not a major problem in my mind.

So basically the best case scenario is we get one good season out of him and then deal him for scraps when we're in cap hell next season?

What a joy of a problem to have.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So basically the best case scenario is we get one good season out of him and then deal him for scraps when we're in cap hell next season?

If Strome has a good year I don't know that you are getting scraps for him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You're not getting back someone who can contribute to the roster. We wont have the cap for it.

so you've essentially drawn a line in the sand and don't think this team will every be able to acquire any asset worth while?

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think the only way we're forced to deal Strome is if three of these things happen:

1) Strome has a great (50 point) season and earns 4 - 4.5 million
1) Nuge shows himself to be critical to our success and we can't afford to trade him
3) Maroon continues scoring near 30 goals, and;
4) The cap doesn't go up much.

Otherwise I think we can easily fit him and whoever we decide to keep of Nuge and Maroon.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yup, too much quality play from your players isn't something a team should ever worry about.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
The Oilers had 108 points and he was 3rd on the team in scoring. Unless the they have a better season this statement makes no sense

You're talking to the same fan base that chased Arnott, Schultz, Dubnyk, Gagner, etc. Patience, memory, and critical thinking aren't the strong points. It's more like "what have you done for me lately?". I, for one, still remember the mid to late 90's Oilers who would've killed for a winger like Ebs.

Chia made a solid move to keep the fans happy and pick up a grittier and more versatile player.

Eberle is a proven scorer and reliable NHL top 6 winger. He had a poor 1st playoff result, but I believe he can still be a clutch scorer even in the playoffs based on his history. The guy is 27, he's still got time to prove the haters wrong.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You're talking to the same fan base that chased Arnott, Schultz, Dubnyk, Gagner, etc. Patience, memory, and critical thinking aren't the strong points. It's more like "what have you done for me lately?". I, for one, still remember the mid to late 90's Oilers who would've killed for a winger like Ebs.

Chia made a solid move to keep the fans happy and pick up a grittier and more versatile player.

Eberle is a proven scorer and reliable NHL top 6 winger. He had a poor 1st playoff result, but I believe he can still be a clutch scorer even in the playoffs based on his history. The guy is 27, he's still got time to prove the haters wrong.

Is the bolded fact? I thought Strome had motivation issues and shies away from contact... basically a bigger Eberle with (thus far) less production and an ability to play C.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is the bolded fact? I thought Strome had motivation issues and shies away from contact... basically a bigger Eberle with (thus far) less production and an ability to play C.

Strome was essentially a 4th line player for the Isles last season.

Funny to see that some posters think he is suddenly (over the summer) going to turn his game around and become a top 6 player on a better team.

Strome is a work in progress. He is a risk to be sure.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Funny to see that some posters think he is suddenly (over the summer) going to turn his game around and become a top 6 player on a better team.

He played like a top6 player when he was in the top6, so there's obviously a reason for optimism.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Maybe some of believe he can play better then last season and won't write him off yet.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He played like a top6 player when he was in the top6, so there's obviously a reason for optimism.

Strome has had 1 good season.
The other 3 seasons he was not able to be better than 0.5ppg player. Once the Oiler sunglasses come off things become clear...there is more reason to be concerned about this player than there is to be optimistic.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe some of believe he can play better then last season and won't write him off yet.

Of course he can play better...I never claimed that he couldnt.
I also never claimed that he should be written off.

You are way off base here Jimmi.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Of course he can play better...I never claimed that he couldnt.
I also never claimed that he should be written off.

You are way off base here Jimmi.

I don't know this line seems pretty plain and clear about that.

Again, no one is suggesting he's going to "suddenly" turn it around, but he's not the Isles Iiro Pakarinen and the expectation is too great.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't know this line seems pretty plain and clear about that.

Again, no one is suggesting he's going to "suddenly" turn it around, but he's not the Isles Iiro Pakarinen and the expectation is too great.

You seem to have a knack for reading things that dont exist.

Iiro is a career 4th liner. Did I ever say that about Strome...no.
Did I ever say that the expectation for Strome to elevate his play to the level of a top 6 player was too great....no.

I said that he was a 4th liner last season and that there are concerns about his game...do you dispute that?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Strome has had 1 good season.
The other 3 seasons he was not able to be better than 0.5ppg player. Once the Oiler sunglasses come off things become clear...there is more reason to be concerned about this player than there is to be optimistic.

Actually, most of their fans blamed coaching for their prospects poor development, including Strome.

Do they have Oiler sunglasses on as well? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad