Eastside Hockey Manager - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
FYI - I've been working on a playable NCAA league model for a while and the TBL folks are helping me iron out some kinks...so it's not quite ready but you can follow the progress here:
http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=17733

5181528be61fc12b359e4792834b03e1.jpg

943a7ba07b7d58e5abdd1226747653e2.jpg

36a7016039f234ecb9fd8eb7f0070128.jpg

d47ab871d68dc9faf72cd906a5d4aabb.jpg

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Question. If I wanted to start a 1998 save with the 1998 database, would it be possible to have the current free agency rules implemented? Any other rules that would be different from then to now that I would want to look at?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It's a known issue - the CPU GMs can sporadically be horrendous when it comes to not qualifying young RFA's worth keeping. They will often let good young players go unqualified thus making them unrealistic, unrestricted free agents.

The CPU's inability to gauge the value of its own players in this manner is the #1 thing that annoys me most in the entire game - because it becomes so unrealistic in terms of asset management. It is such a drag on my enjoyment of the sim that I will "human control" each NHL team for a minute at the end of every season to make sure each team is extending, at minimum, qualifying offers to their better young players. For me, it's worth the time to do that and I don't consider it cheating - it's really the opposite of that, it's making sure the computer teams act in a sensible way and makes sure my team doesn't have the ability to bid on a slew of good, 23 year-old proven NHL talents in unrestricted free agency.

Yup, on the newest rosters was able to grab Hampus Lindholm without a fight from the Ducks. Rakell is out there too at the start.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Does anybody have issues with two way forwards not playing as well as their attributes would suggest they should? My specific example in this case is JG Pageau. He's on my third line with Burrows and Smith, and over 14 games, they've all gone pointless. Pageau has a rating of 5.86 over those games. I love the player and I know this isn't an accurate representation of what his play is like IRL and I'd like to make it more realistic, but I'm not sure what to do. I don't usually mess around with any of my tactics all that much. Does anybody else experience the same problem, where their TWF play far below their expected standards, especially playing on the third line? If you have any suggestions on how I can boost their production to make it a bit more realistic, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Defensive and Two-way forwards (especially centers) usually do really bad on my teams. Actually, most of my bottom 6 centers struggle compared to their wingers.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Any suggestions for a team to play with the newest version of the dB this season?

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Got me excited over here...Hopefully NCAA will get a little love. Hated seeing Brock Boeser on North Dakota being rated like a plug.

If you could let me know where you think he is under/overrated then I can pass this on to the research guys.

The one caveat with the NCAA is that not all rules are present in the game's database and so we have had to fudge it in certain respects. But I understand it works reasonably well. Hopefully we can gather feedback and pass this to Riz so that he can consider whether anything can be added to finesse the rules, etc. There's a lot more detail on the work that has gone into the NCAA here: http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=17733

But still, who'd have thought a few years ago that we'd ever be a in position to do things like this. All thanks to Riz and his coding work in between his day job and raising a new baby!:)

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
If you could let me know where you think he is under/overrated then I can pass this on to the research guys.

Quite a few Canucks prospects are underrated. Gaudette eventually retires from professional hockey. Painful to see in game when he's one of the most talked about prospect outside of the "known" ones. Craig Button constantly praises both Brock Boeser and Adam Gaudette saying that the Canucks got steals.

This screenshot is from Sept 4th 2016 in game when you boot up with TBL 9.1dB

He is ranked as our 12th best prospect when I look at our team report with a 20/20 AGM.

Wristshot: 11->13
Stickhandling: 7->12
Positioning: 4->11
Pokecheck: 5->10
Passing: 8->11
Faceoffs: 4->7 (He was used as a C this season apparently in college? And did well?)
Deking: 8->11
Checking: 6->9

JIaj085.jpg

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
All NCAA players were terrible in old TBL DBs. We did a huge work on the NCAA rosters to ensure players were good enough and we think we achieved that.
Boeser is now 96/-7 (CA/PA), Gaudette 95/-13.
We put a lot of hard work on this and we hope to be able to get the same stuff in the future too, US leagues were seriously overlooked in the past years. I can't say we completely caught up, but the situation now is ten times better.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
All NCAA players were terrible in old TBL DBs. We did a huge work on the NCAA rosters to ensure players were good enough and we think we achieved that.
Boeser is now 96/-7 (CA/PA), Gaudette 95/-13.
We put a lot of hard work on this and we hope to be able to get the same stuff in the future too, US leagues were seriously overlooked in the past years. I can't say we completely caught up, but the situation now is ten times better.

Music to my ears. :handclap:

Thank you and to everyone else for all the hard work. Can't wait till we get our hands on the rosters.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
You might be interested in the new version of the DB that'll be coming very soon. It has a much wider range of playable leagues to choose from:

maPIbIA.jpg

Larger version of the image here: http://i.imgur.com/maPIbIA.jpg

Love it! More teams, and more players in the DB!

Now, does this mean that roster updates from TBL will be tweaked all of the time? Or will it still be the one giant update before the start of the season?

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Now, does this mean that roster updates from TBL will be tweaked all of the time? Or will it still be the one giant update before the start of the season?

This release won't have significant roster updates* but mostly a "quantity" boost to get decent rosters for most of new playable leagues. Unfortunately we weren't able to get all the leagues with full rosters and one of the reason we released this update is to find new researchers. There will still be the "giant" update once the NHL will kick off**

*The NCAA is the exception. We had a chance to use the help of another member (Foppa) to get better rosters in both quantity and quality and we were extremely pleased with his hard work. NHL and other big leagues weren't touched with the exception of some little tweaks or updates for the odd KHL or NLA player.

**Subject to change :)D ) should Riz will release a new version before October (late September would not count, in case. :naughty:)

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
All I've got to say is EHM and it's revival has been fantastic. I'm on board to buy a new version every year they see fit.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I published today a EHM review.

http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/eastside-hockey-manager-review/

I hope you will like it, it's not a "feel good" review, even if I gave it a very high rating. I tried to underline good and bad aspects so that new (and maybe even old) players can understand what kind of beast the game is.

Alessandro, i give you 5 from 10 points for your review. :D
You did it very briefly. You wrote about things, that are well know for everyone. Or if its a newbie, he would find and understand it very quickly.

You, as an expert, should focus to the details, that are unknown to first look. For example issue with RFA players, scoring level, how fast is this game, how long did you play with your team and what all did you achieve. Prospects development, your experience with training players, international competitions .... There are many many points to talk about.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Alessandro, i give you 5 from 10 points for your review. :D
You did it very briefly. You wrote about things, that are well know for everyone. Or if its a newbie, he would find and understand it very quickly.

You, as an expert, should focus to the details, that are unknown to first look. For example issue with RFA players, scoring level, how fast is this game, how long did you play with your team and what all did you achieve. Prospects development, your experience with training players, international competitions .... There are many many points to talk about.

Thank you for reading my review.
You have a point. But my point is that I can't write a book. It was very hard to me to stay in about 1500 words. I know that I could have written 10,000 words, but who reads a 10,000 words review today?

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Just getting back into EHM after a long hiatus from around the BETA.

I used to always just let the AI coach the game instead of myself, but trying that out now. Do you guys do team tactics, line, and player tactics for each player? Just do broad tactics for the team and then do player instructions to every player?

Also, it seems easier to make an offensive system, can anyone give me some tips on key combinations for a defensive system such as hard backchecking & tight gap, etc.

Thanks in advance! Loving being back and just fiddling around

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Just getting back into EHM after a long hiatus from around the BETA.

I used to always just let the AI coach the game instead of myself, but trying that out now. Do you guys do team tactics, line, and player tactics for each player? Just do broad tactics for the team and then do player instructions to every player?

Also, it seems easier to make an offensive system, can anyone give me some tips on key combinations for a defensive system such as hard backchecking & tight gap, etc.

Thanks in advance! Loving being back and just fiddling around

I make it simple. Only line tactic and if there are some guys with Wristshot and slapshot about 19 or 20, change to "shooting machine". You know, this option .... Dont know how its name.
And it works. Now i have some players, that will attack 800 goals in career, maybe 900.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad